HOT! RCV CV Upgrade. Should we? Or should we scrap the concept?

RogueOffroad

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Military
ARMY
So it's been a long time coming. It has been scrapped a few times by RCV, where they just said "Due to the limited commitment and limited interest we don't have a plan to finish these or proceed any further". We kept pushing. Considering that a major issue has been CVs. We had a good program to rework and upgrade the factory units but due to limited participation in returning cores, we had to stop for a while as we couldn't order any more new units. Many don't have any issues with CVs and many do. Overall we have got calls over the past 2 years and very few have been committed. Everyone saying the same thing when they are available let me know. Well, they are now " kinda" available. We are finishing the fitment and still doing some testing. We should have this shipping out in the next 90 days. Possibly sooner depending on interest. We do have some that were pre-paid and those get priority. Or should we just scrap the whole project???

If you follow us on IG and Facebook we post pics in stories while testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 66
After pulling the oem axles apart and finger fucking them thoroughly, I’d say scrap them.

The weak part of the oem axles are:
1) the boots obviously
2) the stiction in the plunging spline

Both are easily resolved now. Better cv-2 grease and high silicon boots.

For $100 in parts we have really strong, dang near and very articulating axles.

And don’t get me wrong. I’m familiar with RCV stuff. I’ve been involved in their projects before and I’m a super fan of the rcv outer cv that they use.

Attachments

• IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 4E5604B3-C62E-4AAA-8464-85DAE02BCD99.jpeg
    4E5604B3-C62E-4AAA-8464-85DAE02BCD99.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 57
I dont think it should be scrapped just yet. Let's see if Fifty's axle magic works for those who have been breaking axles/boots on the reg. I definitely want a bulletproof axle option at some point in the future. Dont want to carry this spare axle in my trunk and worry about swapping it out in the middle of a mud pit.

I dont think it should be scrapped just yet. Let's see if Fifty's axle magic works for those who have been breaking axles/boots on the reg. I definitely want a bulletproof axle option at some point in the future. Dont want to carry this spare axle in my trunk and worry about swapping it out in the middle of a mud pit.
I think regardless you should carry a spare.

my thing is just boots that aren’t hard plastic. So that “should” solve most of the boot cracking and ripping for no reason.

Also the change in grease “should” help solve the inner cv pull out failure issues.

All the hardware on the axles stays stock. They are beefy and articulate really well.

Just new boots, stainless boot clamps, and quality grease (and that type is up to you, I have been using the redline cv-2 which may or may not be what rcv rebrands).

The rcv axles are all new hardware. Everything…
They plan on getting rid of the plunging axle because it’s too expensive to replicate. They use their “off the shelf” outer rcv cv which is super nice (pics attached) and then they look like they are using their “farm boy tech” inner cv that is deeper than stock to handle the axle plunge.

The pics I’ve attached are not for the trx. But the outer cv is the same minus the stub axle,

The inner cv gives you an idea of what I mean by “farm boy tech”. Just make it thicker and out of strong material.
I think all their cages, stars and balls are 300m. The shafts are 4xxx I have to go look at the blanks I have and see what they are.
But they are strong. Everything is strong.

With the rcv stuff you know it’s all strong Gucci material. The oem stuff…. I guess a smart at metal person could tell. I’m not that guy. I can just look at tolerances and articulation and beefiness lol.

Their boots, they have stiff ones and soft ones. The orange ones I had were stiff and cracked. They sent new black ones that were perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 35
my thing is just boots that aren’t hard plastic. So that “should” solve most of the boot cracking and ripping for no reason.

Also the change in grease “should” help solve the inner cv pull out failure issues.

All the hardware on the axles stays stock. They are beefy and articulate really well.

Just new boots, stainless boot clamps, and quality grease (and that type is up to you, I have been using the redline cv-2 which may or may not be what rcv rebrands).

The rcv axles are all new hardware. Everything…
They plan on getting rid of the plunging axle because it’s too expensive to replicate. They use their “off the shelf” outer rcv cv which is super nice (pics attached) and then they look like they are using their “farm boy tech” inner cv that is deeper than stock to handle the axle plunge.

The pics I’ve attached are not for the trx. But the outer cv is the same minus the stub axle,

The inner cv gives you an idea of what I mean by “farm boy tech”. Just make it thicker and out of strong material.
I think all their cages, stars and balls are 300m. The shafts are 4xxx I have to go look at the blanks I have and see what they are.
But they are strong. Everything is strong.

With the rcv stuff you know it’s all strong Gucci material. The oem stuff…. I guess a smart at metal person could tell. I’m not that guy. I can just look at tolerances and articulation and beefiness lol.

Their boots, they have stiff ones and soft ones. The orange ones I had were stiff and cracked. They sent new black ones that were perfect.
We are lucky to have you on the board Fifty. Just out of curiosity though, what is the unit of measurement for beefiness haha?

We are lucky to have you on the board Fifty. Just out of curiosity though, what is the unit of measurement for beefiness haha?
My wife says it’s in measurements of “Irish”

Half Irish, three quarter Irish, a little Irish, just the tip Irish… Guinness can…

Definitely looks like a better mouse trap but that 4k... glad I have beaten on mine enough to brake one yet

I have geiser springs and 37's and I've blown apart 2 axles in 10k miles!! PLEASE continue the project!! The stock axles are crap!!! I'm now afraid to launch the truck, I've considered selling it because now I don't trust it. If I install stock springs and stock tires that will help but I didn't like the way the truck looked with the tiny stock tires.

Continue! Have RCV's in my Dana 60 front end (jeep) after grenading stock joints on the Rubicon in the snow and now flawless after 8 years. With lift, 37's and 702hp on my TRX + boots constantly ripping; I need a solution.

PLEASE make the axles for the trx, I don't want to sell the truck. Only opting besides axles is to go back to the stock tires and front springs and stock power.

Axle carnage. There was tons of grease left even after they were leaking. I believe the axles are packed with too much grease causing them to leak past the clamp.
20240210_170843.jpg
20240210_170821.jpg
20240210_170818.jpg

Wet pavement launch. No warning just boom. First axle same thing.

I just bought 24" wheels with 35s. I'm starting to worry about this since I've already ripped one out on my stock setup.

After pulling the oem axles apart and finger fucking them thoroughly, I’d say scrap them.

The weak part of the oem axles are:
1) the boots obviously
2) the stiction in the plunging spline

Both are easily resolved now. Better cv-2 grease and high silicon boots.

For $100 in parts we have really strong, dang near and very articulating axles.
Can you send me the list of parts?

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers SDHQ Motorsports
Back