Cam install Reviews

JUGRNAT22

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
I’m not sure there has been many done out here but I could be wrong, but what company did you use and what’s your overall review of cost and quality from the shop you used. I’m currently looking at SRT auto works. But would like to see what others have to say. I got burned when I took my Honda Grom out of town for a Engine upgrade and the company went off and stole my shit and high tailed it not looking to get burned on a 100k truck vs a 10k bike.

I’m not sure there has been many done out here but I could be wrong, but what company did you use and what’s your overall review of cost and quality from the shop you used. I’m currently looking at SRT auto works. But would like to see what others have to say. I got burned when I took my Honda Grom out of town for a Engine upgrade and the company went off and stole my shit and high tailed it not looking to get burned on a 100k truck vs a 10k bike.
what other mods on the truck? Still stock motor or 426?

Cam on these isn’t all that common unless you are tapped out elsewhere since the gain from what I have seen is 25-35 hp for a decent chunk of $ and you will always lose at least a smidge of driveability. The sound, of course, might be worth it alone for some folks.

Just a full bolt on setup stock engine otherwise, SRT told me 100hp and 40-60tq cost is 8k. Yea for sure the sound is amazing that alone almost has me sold on the idea.

Just a full bolt on setup stock engine otherwise, SRT told me 100hp and 40-60tq cost is 8k. Yea for sure the sound is amazing that alone almost has me sold on the idea.
100hp for just the cam? That would be bullshit. Those are scubasteve numbers.

100hp full bolt on on pump gas is low if they are talking about the full build. Also, “full bolt on” has about a million definitions. Be more specific.

S&B and FAS pulley and Kooks 2” on AWE catback.
So you are looking for hp without a tune then? Or are you saying that SRT is quoting 100hp for a cam and then complete tune for all the mods?

…I feel like I’m pulling teeth and getting breadcrumbs.

So you are looking for hp without a tune then? Or are you saying that SRT is quoting 100hp for a cam and then complete tune for all the mods?

…I feel like I’m pulling teeth and getting breadcrumbs.
I’m sorry I guess someone would install a cam
Without tuning 🤷🏼.

But here you and no they didn’t ask or know what mods I have in this response.

Thanks for reaching out to SRT Autoworks to upgrade your TRX with our Hellcat Boost Cam! It is a great way to fall in love with your TRX even more. 🏁

We charge $7,999.99 for all parts, labor and custom 91 tuning for this cam job. We appreciate the feedback and would be happy to help you with this install. The cam does sound amazing on this truck and is rated for up to 100hp gain - we see approximately 40-60lb ft increase in torque as well.

Last edited:
100hp for just the cam? That would be bullshit. Those are scubasteve numbers.

100hp full bolt on on pump gas is low if they are talking about the full build. Also, “full bolt on” has about a million definitions. Be more specific.
Is your Dusterhoff997 just a pulley and injectors and E85 tune or is there more to it?

Seems like this package then adding the CAM

Is your Dusterhoff997 just a pulley and injectors and E85 tune or is there more to it?

Seems like this package then adding the CAM
Yes it is that package and adding the cam package it’s 16k together 🤪

I put together a custom package and had Curt tune because I wanted both a flex tune for roadtrips and straight e85 setup (two different pulleys). I’m basically running his 997 package plus interchiller, spacer plates, 108mm TB, ported snout, intake, aad idler, and cutouts (maybe something else I’m forgetting too).

The reason I asked what I asked is because people typically only run the FAS pulley when trying to avoid tuning. Since boost is the cheapest and easiest knob to turn on these trucks, it seemed very odd to me that someone would want to drop $8k on a cam that I guarantee will not net 100hp before doing the easier mods that would add more hp. The cam gains are also heavily predicated on the mass flow going through the motor. So the less you have done to the truck, the less the cam is going to net you. Now if you actually had the blower cranked up north of 17 psi, ported and all the supporting mods then maybe the additional lift and duration on the cam would get you a decent chunk of hp (still not 100). These motors don’t behave like an LS where a cam is a good idea regardless of other mods.

Yes, you will have to tune with a cam. My point about the tune was that if you are modded and not already tuned then I could see Autowerks trying to sell that finally tuning to properly account for the other mods plus the cam might get you close to 100 crank hp. If you are already tuned to account for the mods then a refresh for the cam is not going to get anywhere near that.

I put together a custom package and had Curt tune because I wanted both a flex tune for roadtrips and straight e85 setup (two different pulleys). I’m basically running his 997 package plus interchiller, spacer plates, 108mm TB, ported snout, intake, aad idler, and cutouts (maybe something else I’m forgetting too).

The reason I asked what I asked is because people typically only run the FAS pulley when trying to avoid tuning. Since boost is the cheapest and easiest knob to turn on these trucks, it seemed very odd to me that someone would want to drop $8k on a cam that I guarantee will not net 100hp before doing the easier mods that would add more hp. The cam gains are also heavily predicated on the mass flow going through the motor. So the less you have done to the truck, the less the cam is going to net you. Now if you actually had the blower cranked up north of 17 psi, ported and all the supporting mods then maybe the additional lift and duration on the cam would get you a decent chunk of hp (still not 100). These motors don’t behave like an LS where a cam is a good idea regardless of other mods.

Yes, you will have to tune with a cam. My point about the tune was that if you are modded and not already tuned then I could see Autowerks trying to sell that finally tuning to properly account for the other mods plus the cam might get you close to 100 crank hp. If you are already tuned to account for the mods then a refresh for the cam is not going to get anywhere near that.
Yes I am running the mods I’m running to avoid a tuning. However I heard a couple of cammed TRX with longtubes and loved the sound. So this is the main reason I’m interested in the cam not the actual HP I seriously doubted the 100hp as well. I would get rid of the FAS and get a pulley injector tune as well to go with the cam but I’m not really interested in spending 16k for that. So I figured I would just get the cam package only and keep the FAS for the minimal boost gain it gives. I’m not really looking to install the upper pulley myself and everyone wants 6-8k for a setup installed.

Your setup sounds pretty cool I’m sure it’s a beast.

Yes I am running the mods I’m running to avoid a tuning. However I heard a couple of cammed TRX with longtubes and loved the sound. So this is the main reason I’m interested in the cam not the actual HP I seriously doubted the 100hp as well. I would get rid of the FAS and get a pulley injector tune as well to go with the cam but I’m not really interested in spending 16k for that. So I figured I would just get the cam package only and keep the FAS for the minimal boost gain it gives. I’m not really looking to install the upper pulley myself and everyone wants 6-8k for a setup installed.

Your setup sounds pretty cool I’m sure it’s a beast.
If your going to do a cam and tune then might as well throw in injectors and swap the FAS lower pulley for an IW pulley. You will get close to the same boost as a 2.85 upper and the install cost should be negligible from a decent shop if they are already doing the cam install. You can toss in injectors yourself in a couple hours.

If your going to do a cam and tune then might as well throw in injectors and swap the FAS lower pulley for an IW pulley. You will get close to the same boost as a 2.85 upper and the install cost should be negligible from a decent shop if they are already doing the cam install. You can toss in injectors yourself in a couple hours.
Yea if i can find a shop that doesnt want to charge me just as much for pulley injectors and tune as it is for the cam install and tune then i can do that route.

Have you reached out to Barth Tuning? Tim does an amazing job and has always taken care of anything I needed. Shoot them a message and he can price things for you. Tim is one of the best tuners out there, I have trusted him with my TRX build and journey for the past 2 years.

Last edited:
Have you reached out to Barth Tuning? Tim does an amazing job and has always taken care of anything I needed. Shot them a message and he can price things for you. Tim is one of the best tuners out there, I have trusted him with my TRX build and journey for the past 2 years.
No i havent but i can definitely put them on the list to check out.

Back