ZenCarbonFiber Stitched Airbag Cover Installed!

OnTheReel

TRX Maniac
TRX of the Month 🏆
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
First, this one is not for the faint of heart. Since there was literally nothing online and no instructions included I was really on my own. The concept is simple, it’s a stitched replacement cover for your factory airbag. Execution on the other hand took me a few hours.
IMG_3820.jpeg

I won’t go into removing the airbag because there’s no shortage of videos. It’s a pain in the ass but I’ve had it off a few times now and it was definitely the easiest part of this job.

With the airbag out, I started trying to figure out how the hell this all comes apart. Looking at the perimeter of the airbag, you can see metal tabs around the airbag and plastic tabs that hold the cover on.
IMG_3812.jpeg

The metal tabs lock the plastic tabs in place. The only way I could work out is that you bend the metal tabs back which allows the plastic tabs to slide over the metal and come off. The metal is quite pliable so a small flathead and some careful bending eventually freed the original cover up.
IMG_3815.jpeg

But wait, there’s more! The cover they sent had the standard Ram “bright metal” emblem, not the black chrome. So I had to move the emblem over. It is plastic-welded in, so I used a dremel to grind these green plastic posts flush with the airbag cover and it came right off.
IMG_3813.jpeg

To re-install the old badge on the new cover I elected to use CA glue and activator, a product I’ve had great luck with on most of the plastic crap Ram makes. It cures instantly and holds very strong so I don’t anticipate it flying off and hitting me in the face if I wreck. Probably would be the least of my troubles anyway.
IMG_3814.jpeg

After the badge was installed, I just had to slide the new cover over the airbag until all the tabs caught, and then bend the tabs back. Reconnect everything and re-install.

The finished product:
IMG_3817.jpeg
IMG_3822.jpeg
IMG_3823.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg

Overall it looks great. I requested matching stitching and they nailed it, perfect match. The alcantara also matches the factory stuff perfectly. In the pics the factory alcantara on the wheel is a bit wet from cleaning, but when dry it matched 100%.

I have no issue with the quality or end result, but the install was a bitch, no other way to put it. It’s never comfortable working with airbags, even with the battery disconnected. Even worse when there’s no directions to follow.

If you order one I would suggest you ask them to include the black chrome badge from the start, it’ll save ya some time messing with that at least. So there’s my 2 cents on how I did it and what I think.

Looks good! I’m surprised they don’t make a matching shift boot too

besides all the problems it looks really good and I think zen carbon fiber needs to start offering it with the black chrome logo

besides all the problems it looks really good and I think zen carbon fiber needs to start offering it with the black chrome logo
It’s funny because in the main photo on the site it’s black. Dunno if it’s luck of the draw or what.

Looks good! I’m surprised they don’t make a matching shift boot too
I think this would match well. Maybe someday. Not really hot on spending $500 on it.

OnTheReel - that looks really really clean. You nailed it.(y)(y)

I ordered mine in leather.

But Jieren didn't use the black badge so now is re-making it.

a99ea7852cac469a691aabbe172a6c8.jpg

1706772834510.png

Last edited:
Very nice! I think these leather ones were needed to go with all the pretty carbon and leather wheels everyone is getting.

Very nice! I think these leather ones were needed to go with all the pretty carbon and leather wheels everyone is getting.

I'll have my leather airbag setup here in 7 days or so...

I think on a factory wheel you 100% go Alcantara airbag as it matches the wheel and rest of interior - very OEM looking. LOVE IT.

I think on a CF wheel with either leather or perforated leather sides you go leather airbag otherwise it might be too busy looking.

Last edited:
It’s funny because in the main photo on the site it’s black. Dunno if it’s luck of the draw or what.
I spoke to the owner.

He told me he wasn't even aware that the TRX came with a black logo, as he made mine with a chrome logo.

Since, there's now an option on the order page for what color ram badge.

Last edited:
OnTheReel - that looks really really clean. You nailed it.(y)(y)

I ordered mine in leather.

But dude didn't use the black badge so now is re-making it.

View attachment 122190
View attachment 122191
that leather one looks really good. Anxious to see your install pics because your steering wheel almost looks exactly like mine so I will be able to see if I would like the airbag cover on mine.

I spoke to the owner.

He told me he wasn't even aware that the TRX came with a black logo, as he made mine with a chrome logo.

Since, there's now an option on the order page for what color ram badge.
Good to hear that. I was a little frustrated with the badge. Hopefully nobody else has to deal with that crap.

Leather looks really good, make sure to post when you have it installed. Been thinking about doing one of these CF wheels so I might wind up with the leather eventually.

Good to hear that. I was a little frustrated with the badge. Hopefully nobody else has to deal with that crap.

Leather looks really good, make sure to post when you have it installed. Been thinking about doing one of these CF wheels so I might wind up with the leather eventually.

The second i get my airbag and wheel I'll get pictures posted up for everyone to see.

Regardless of alcantara or leather, i think this mod really enhances the interior of the truck and looks OEM.

Jieren at zencarbon is a good dude and makes some nice stuff. I've requested a shift boot for us TRX guys as well, will report back once he lets me know if he can do it.

@OnTheReel ZencarbonFiber used your pics for the black chrome Ram head. Hope you get a kickback, especially with all of the trouble you went through removing the chrome one. :cool:

That airbag cover would look pretty sweet in my Lunar with Surf Blue stitching and a matte black Ram head.

@OnTheReel ZencarbonFiber used your pics for the black chrome Ram head. Hope you get a kickback, especially with all of the trouble you went through removing the chrome one. :cool:

That airbag cover would look pretty sweet in my Lunar with Surf Blue stitching and a matte black Ram head.
No kickback but maybe he’ll give me a deal on the leather version if/when I change the whole wheel. I do wish the stock one was a little fatter.

If you can deal with a slight installation headache I bet your design idea would look awesome!

No kickback but maybe he’ll give me a deal on the leather version if/when I change the whole wheel.
(y) - part of being the first couple guys to order - mistakes happen.

Pictures are on a public forum anyone can use them. He's proud of his work and it only helps fellow community members make an educated purchase.

I think it's a compliment to how nice your truck looks to make his website. :cool:

Last edited:
(y) - part of being the first couple guys to order - mistakes happen.

Pictures are on a public forum anyone can use them. He's proud of his work and it only helps fellow community members make an educated purchase.

I think it's a compliment to how nice your truck looks to make his website. :cool:
For sure, I don’t mind him posting it.

Back