Wrong Fluid Levels?

F8Demon

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Demon and 2021 Hydro Blue TRX
Seen a lot of talk about fluid levels being low in diffs and transfer case. Wondering what was determined as too low from the manufacturer (source) and if there have been levels seen below that. Not looking for answers like; "my 86 chevy called for X so that is what I have always done"
I'm more concerned if there are different levels of fluid across different trucks, as that points to a lack of control in the process.

Last edited:
Seen a lot of talk about fluid levels being low in diffs and transfer case. Wondering what was determined as too low from the manufacturer (source) and if there have been levels seen below that. Not looking for answers like; "my 86 chevy called for X so that is what I have always done"
I'm more conerned if there are different levels of fluid across different trucks, as thats points to a lack of control in the process.
I believe the majority of the problems have been with the front diff. Lower than normal fluid level. Hopefully those guys that had this problem can pipe in. Did you get your truck yet? Cheers

I believe the majority of the problems have been with the front diff. Lower than normal fluid level. Hopefully those guys that had this problem can pipe in. Did you get your truck yet? Cheers
Picking up on Tuesday

Picking up on Tuesday
Thats awesome. I’m jealous as hell. If I remember correctly @Variable had the low diff level. He did a pretty comprehensive PDI at his own shop. I’ll try and find the thread and post it.

I'm more concerned if there are different levels of fluid across different trucks, as that points to a lack of control in the process.
Here is one from @crackerjack......

Well, it's how it is done, not just on Chevy's. If you are looking for a service manual reference I don't have one. You drain them from the bottom plug, you fill them from the top.

When I'm with the mechanic Thursday at the dealership I'll ask if they have a service manual or something that I can snap a pic of for you.

Now, is it possible they have figured out a way to tap the fill plug higher than is needed, and now say specifically ONLY PUT X AMOUNT IN.

Would I bet $20 on it, yes, but that doesn't mean they haven't deviated.

Same as what he had mentioned, when you pull the level plug if nothing comes out, it's low. Add until you have a small amount drizzling out.

Same as what he had mentioned, when you pull the level plug if nothing comes out, it's low. Add until you have a small amount drizzling out.
Same as what he mentioned, thats a source, ok brown dude. The sky is red, there that makes it true right? :rolleyes:

Works in my 86 chevy

Is there no info concerning the fluid level in the owners manual? I’d lookin mine but I’m not with the truck.

Same as what he mentioned, thats a source, ok brown dude. The sky is red, there that makes it true right? :rolleyes:
Maybe this is what your looking for....

1614569848522.jpeg

Is there no info concerning the fluid level in the owners manual? I’d lookin mine but I’m not with the truck.
Here is what it says in the TRX "manual" - drain and refill. So like the chevy's, audis, RAM's, etc, you locate the DRAIN and FILL plugs, and then loosen FILL plug first, just in case you can't - don't drain the case (manual doesn't tell you that either), and then you take drainnplig out, drain, put drain plug back in, then fill (until you spill, etc), and put FILL plug back in. Done.

20210228_203313.jpg

Years back I watched a dealership service tech do the oil fill from hose pulled from the ceiling and on the end was a leaking crude rotating pointer which gave only a rough estimate of the actual fluid installed. Could it be that even in modern times we lose a bit of accuracy with assembly line automation?

Isn't the original diff oil fill via an automated system. I always thought some issues could ensue if the operating personnel didn't keep on top of it. Like maybe it had air in the line or some of the fluid escaped before they inserted the fill tube in the diff, blah,blah......so on.

Didn't some members here report differential failures? Hmmm.

That being said I think our forum members who decide to do a thorough PDI themselves are ahead of the game. I think it would be prudent to do so considering the acquisition cost and performance level of the TRX. Especially before much mileage is accrued or hammering the go pedal.

(y)

--

We'll that's generally how the level is checked. That's why it's referred to as a level check plug 👌🏾

Back