Will the Ram TRX come in Two Trims: 392 SRT and Hellcat?

Nitro

Administrator
🛠️ Staff member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
'23 TRX
TFL Truck posted an interesting article on whether the Ram TRX would release with two trim options. A TRX 392 SRT and TRX Hellcat.

The 6.4-liter (392) V8 is rated at 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque in the Grand Cherokee 4×4.
The upcoming 2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat AWD claims 710 horsepower and 645 lb-ft of torque.

Could we see these same horsepower figures with the TRX? Thoughts?

More than likely it will.

Like the wide body Challenger Scatpack/HC and Charger HC, FCA will recoup its investment on the wide body TRX. Also, when off-roading or rock crawling, horsepower is overrated when you’re in 4-Lo. 700+ HP in 4-Lo is beyond overkill. Utilizing the torque of the 6.4L (think PowerWagon) in a wide body 1/2 ton chassis just makes sense.

So, if you’re wanting to save $15K to $20K, a 6.4L TRX wide body maybe for you

Producing two versions makes a lot of sense. I would bet FCA launches a 392 version the second model year. So as to not distract from the Hellcat version.

Now that I’ve posted this, they will launch both version this year...

The Ram “TR” rumor involving the 426 Hemi lasted all of about a week Two years ago if I recall.
The TRX has a wide stance by design so there will be no such thing as a wide body or non wide body TRX. Plant workers already confirmed there were production vehicle transport issues with the pre-prod TRXs related to the vehicle’s width, so we know it has the wider track.
Will they make a 392 TRX? Doubtful. The rumor mill would have made rumblings about it long ago if one were in the works. Where would they price it? A 4WD Hemi Rebel is already over $50k. If the TRX is going to be price competitive with the Raptor it needs to come in under $70k to start (Raptor base starts at what $53k?). I don’t see a business case for a 392 TRX as if that were priced close to Raptor start pricing it would cannibalize Rebel sales (and some Hellcat TRX sales). Unless of course, the 392 TRX were to come in near the $60k mark with the Hellcat TRX near Trackhawk pricing.
Those are two very different markets though. The Trackhawk competes with (destroys) vehicles from BMW, MB, Lamborghini, Porsche in the $150,000 range. The TRX is competing against a Ford F-150 with a starting price of some $53,000. If FCA is interested in volume, an $80,000+ truck is not the way to do it (I would buy one, but I’m not known for my fiscally sound decisions).

Also, when off-roading or rock crawling, horsepower is overrated when you’re in 4-Lo.
True, but 4-lo rock crawling is not the design intent of the TRX, high speed dune running is, where horsepower matters.

True, but 4-lo rock crawling is not the design intent of the TRX, high speed dune running is, where horsepower matters.
Not sure what your argument is...the 6.4L 475 HP works just fine in the sand...unless the 450 HP of the Raptor is too low for ya as well. Heck, why not discount the Jeep Gladiator Mojave all together too...

FCA will recoup their wide body investment and I will take my TRX rock crawling. Sorry to disappoint...

Not sure what your argument is...the 6.4L 475 HP works just fine in the sand...unless the 450 HP of the Raptor is too low for ya as well. Heck, why not discount the Jeep Gladiator Mojave all together too...

FCA will recoup their wide body investment and I will take my TRX rock crawling. Sorry to disappoint...
Not a matter of ability, but focus. The fact that a TRX will have over 700 horsepower does not discount the Gladiator in any way. One will simply be far faster than the other. Not sure what you think anyone is disappointed about, but if rock crawling is your interest, there are vehicles better suited to that purpose than a TRX.

Not a matter of ability, but focus. The fact that a TRX will have over 700 horsepower does not discount the Gladiator in any way. One will simply be far faster than the other. Not sure what you think anyone is disappointed about, but if rock crawling is your interest, there are vehicles better suited to that purpose than a TRX.
8C0918BE-3128-4334-8489-21E48118F024.jpeg

I know, I actually have experience both with my Hellcat and my Jeep Rubicons, but why would the TRX not be good at something because you say so?

Puzzling how those without experience try to convince those with actual experience that they know what they’re talking about. . .

View attachment 95
I know, I actually have experience both with my Hellcat and my Jeep Rubicons, but why would the TRX not be good at something because you say so?

Puzzling how those without experience try to convince those with actual experience that they know what they’re talking about. . .
Spare me the Ad Hominem.
Are you not aware of the purpose to the TRX?
Also, aren’t you the same person just arguing that “700+ HP in 4-Lo is beyond overkill”?
Or did you forget that the TRX is expected to have over 700 horsepower?
There is also nothing stopping you from comparing MPGs, but there are vehicles out there better suited for such tasks. Nobody cares what you do with your toys, but complaining that you aren’t getting a 392 TRX is pointless. As is talk about a “wide body” TRX when dealer conference photo leaks have already shown the only TRX mentioned is going to have a six inch wider track than a non-TRX Ram. There is no such thing as a wide body or non wide body Ram or TRX. That isn’t an option on any Ram. The TRX is inherently wider. Its not a body kit, its an entirely different vehicle.
Your badge collection does not change that fact, though the fact you felt it relevant is telling.

Back