Who's using intake valve cleaner?!

FULLTHROTTLERICK

TRX Maniac
Video of the Month 🏆
2x TRX of the Month 🏆
Gallery
Reaction score
Historically, I like to use intake valve cleaner every oil change or so (especially needed on DI vehicles). I realize we're not DI but it's still nice to use every so often esp. on a boosted truck that lugs its way through bump to bump regularly. I went out the other day to do it before my 2nd oil change and immediately gave up due to how hard it is to reach the throttle body (was in a rush). I bought a special can of STP which has a super long flexible straw but still would need to remove the entire intake box to really have some room to work with. Dont want to spray it too far upstream as it can cause issues with MAF/etc. Wondering if anyone has found a good method??? I prefer CRC intake valve cleaner but that's only got a 4-5" straw...

Historically, I like to use intake valve cleaner every oil change or so (especially needed on DI vehicles). I realize we're not DI but it's still nice to use every so often esp. on a boosted truck that lugs its way through bump to bump regularly. I went out the other day to do it before my 2nd oil change and immediately gave up due to how hard it is to reach the throttle body (was in a rush). I bought a special can of STP which has a super long flexible straw but still would need to remove the entire intake box to really have some room to work with. Dont want to spray it too far upstream as it can cause issues with MAF/etc. Wondering if anyone has found a good method??? I prefer CRC intake valve cleaner but that's only got a 4-5" straw...
Watching, Good Question...

For those who didnt know they needed to add this to their maintenance regimen, here's one of the popular options that usually produces solid results! https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 8.58.41 AM.png

In the RAM and Dodge hellcat manual it does not state anything about using or not using engine cleaning spray or gasoline treatments. However......

In my 2016 Z06 the manual specifically stated DO NOT use any type of engine spray cleaner or any type of gasoline additives, or engine failure could occur due to detonation.

I am going with a negatory Ghost Rider on engine sprays or cleaners.

Manual also tells you to use a genuine Mopar product but we all know our engines wont grenade if we run aftermarket. I probably would have heeded that on my vette to if the manual specifically said it too.

Unless you're burning a lot of oil there's no reason you should be getting any abnormal deposits on the valves or anywhere else. I've rebuilt enough engines to know if there are deposits on the valves you're not going to remove them with a can of snake oil now and then, something more like a wire brush on a grinder is required.

looks like another solution in search of a problem to me.

Theoretically the port on the blower from the PCV valve would work. Can reach it pretty easily on the pass side and just one hose to unplug.

That being said it’s nothing I plan on doing at this time. A strong PEA-based cleaner added to the fuel occasionally, and/or using Top Tier fuel should adequately limit the deposit buildup on a non-DI engine.

That being said it’s nothing I plan on doing at this time. A strong PEA-based cleaner added to the fuel occasionally, and/or using Top Tier fuel should adequately limit the deposit buildup on a non-DI engine.
looks like another solution in search of a problem to me.
I'm in this camp too.. I'm sure its probably fine, but my personal risk assessment is that it has more potential to f**ck something up than help in any meaningful way..

Reactions: Two
Theoretically the port on the blower from the PCV valve would work. Can reach it pretty easily on the pass side and just one hose to unplug.

Genius! That probably would work perfectly and easy to access. Next oil change ill be the forum guinea pig.

Lots of YouTube videos on these types of chemicals and why or not to use them…I use them myself…but I’m ocd (lol) and nothing is more important than my kids, oops I meant my toys 🦖😺

I'm with you there., but I'd like to see some evidence things like this are needed. then I'd like to see evidence the products work. I'm inclined to believe 99% of this stuff is sold to us just like the carpetbaggers sold their magic elixirs to gullible costumers 150 years ago.

Products that don't work for problems you don't have.

I'm with you there., but I'd like to see some evidence things like this are needed. then I'd like to see evidence the products work. I'm inclined to believe 99% of this stuff is sold to us just like the carpetbaggers sold their magic elixirs to gullible costumers 150 years ago.

Products that don't work for problems you don't have.
Plenty of proof on YT that they meet or exceed snake oil certification haha. Using intake valve cleaner is not a must on port injection vehicles so you def dont have to jump on any bandwagon. I'm planning on keepin this truck till the wheels fall off (twice) and in my experience, its much easier to keep the valves clean when they're new than if you wait until truck has 100k miles to start trying to remove the encrusted volcanic rubble lol. It's amazing how fast they get caked with carbon on DI vehicles even at low mileage. Just tryin to be overly proactive!

Back