Who likes UConnect?

Bavanew

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2016 F350 Platinum
I'm new to Uconnect, and so far I can't say that I'm impressed. Specifically concerning the remote app.

So far, all of the remote functions (Lock, unlock, engine start, cancel, horn & lights) have a significant delay.
Also, I had numerous failed attempts when trying to remote start the truck. On one occasion there was a "Failed signal attempt" notification (Something to that effect).

On the other failed attempts, there was no notification. I simply knew because I was close enough to the truck to know.
What's the point of the app if it doesn't confirm whether the vehicle is running ?
(Unless I'm not looking in the right place.) Also, even the remote start on the key won't provided feedback on the remote to indicate that the vehicle has started. My oem remote start for my F250 provides constant feedback for as long as the vehicle is running. Then makes a unique sound when the engine stops.

I would expect an app to be able to provide basic vehicle info. I used OnStar 20 years ago to kill the engine, unlock doors and perform vehicle diagnostics.

Last edited:
I think it’s all about what you expect although it’s not no Tesla interface I see you were used to certain things and expect that my remote app has never failed as your has i don’t rely on app info I use it on occasion if I feel like I forgot to lock the truck or I need to start it and I’m not by the keys or I’m out and want to make sure the truck isn’t missing I use the location finder on the app

That is unfortunate, I had the same experience with my current truck and UConnect but chalked it up to it being a previous model with the 3G cell signal. I was hoping that had some small effect on the slow response etc. I was so unimpressed with that particular part of the system that I didn't continue paying for the service when the trial period expired. Still really enjoyed the truck just never used the app on the phone for the same reasons you describe here. Had hopes that the newer 4G system might have improved feedback and response times, but doesn't sound like it has.

That is unfortunate, I had the same experience with my current truck and UConnect but chalked it up to it being a previous model with the 3G cell signal. I was hoping that had some small effect on the slow response etc. I was so unimpressed with that particular part of the system that I didn't continue paying for the service when the trial period expired. Still really enjoyed the truck just never used the app on the phone for the same reasons you describe here. Had hopes that the newer 4G system might have improved feedback and response times, but doesn't sound like it has.
Like I said, twenty year old OnStar technology performed better. That's what I find so disappointing. I was basically testing the app to see how it performed, to know whether I could safely rely on it, if, and when needed.
With the amount of technology in these trucks (lane assist, emergency pedestrian stop, adaptive cruise, launch control, HUD, self steering for backing up a trailer, dyno chart) and that's just to name a few, why would it be so difficult to incorporate a two way communication between the app and vehicle? Without confirmation, it really defeats the purpose, in my opinion. When the salesman Introduced me to Uconnect, my first thought was, "cool, now I'll know if the truck has started from, say, a movie theater, (post pandemic) and not have to wonder whether it'll be warmed up when it's -25.

Not the end of the world, just disappointing given how far technology has come. I feel this would be an elementary option nowadays.
Jeez, my watch can detect the difference from me laying and resting from actually sleeping. I just want the app to say, "your truck is running and will shutdown in 15min."

Like I said, twenty year old OnStar technology performed better. That's what I find so disappointing. I was basically testing the app to see how it performed, to know whether I could safely rely on it, if, and when needed.
With the amount of technology in these trucks (lane assist, emergency pedestrian stop, adaptive cruise, launch control, HUD, self steering for backing up a trailer, dyno chart) and that's just to name a few, why would it be so difficult to incorporate a two way communication between the app and vehicle? Without confirmation, it really defeats the purpose, in my opinion. When the salesman Introduced me to Uconnect, my first thought was, "cool, now I'll know if the truck has started from, say, a movie theater, (post pandemic) and not have to wonder whether it'll be warmed up when it's -25.

Not the end of the world, just disappointing given how far technology has come. I feel this would be an elementary option nowadays.
Jeez, my watch can detect the difference from me laying and resting from actually sleeping. I just want the app to say, "your truck is running and will shutdown in 15min."
Very unfortunate for you. Not that this makes any sense but I did hear that the uconnect4 version will not be updatable just to add more misery to your disappointment. The good news is that the 2022 model will have the new unconnect5 version. For our sakes I hope it doesn’t work any better... haha. But I agree you would think with how much time and effort was put into making this incredible truck they would have figured out how to make the tech work flawlessly. Well at least you still have the baddest truck out there today.

And my last rant regarding the remote start. C'mon Ram, this is a 100K vehicle, and a beautiful vehicle at that! But, for some reason, you weren't able to incorporate two-way communication/feedback into the key fob. Just a little blink of a led, just to confirm the vehicle has started. Sounds petty, but when you're in this climate, you really appreciate remote start, but only when the vehicle actually starts. Lol

Last edited:
Very unfortunate for you. Not that this makes any sense but I did hear that the uconnect4 version will not be updatable just to add more misery to your disappointment. The good news is that the 2022 model will have the new unconnect5 version. For our sakes I hope it doesn’t work any better... haha. But I agree you would think with how much time and effort was put into making this incredible truck they would have figured out how to make the tech work flawlessly. Well at least you still have the baddest truck out there today.
You connect 5 - "Guaranteed to work 60% of the time, every time!" Lol

Yes, it's a pretty bad ass truck. I'm a pretty modest person when it comes to flaunting what I own, however, when the passerbys make a bigger deal of my truck than I do, then it has to be bad. lol

I'm new to Uconnect, and so far I can't say that I'm impressed. Specifically concerning the remote app.

So far, all of the remote functions (Lock, unlock, engine start, cancel, horn & lights) have a significant delay.
Also, I had numerous failed attempts when trying to remote start the truck. On one occasion there was a "Failed signal attempt" notification (Something to that effect).

On the other failed attempts, there was no notification. I simply knew because I was close enough to the truck to know.
What's the point of the app if it doesn't confirm whether the vehicle is running ?
(Unless I'm not looking in the right place.) Also, even the remote start on the key won't provided feedback on the remote to indicate that the vehicle has started. My oem remote start for my F250 provides constant feedback for as long as the vehicle is running. Then makes a unique sound when the engine stops.

I would expect an app to be able to provide basic vehicle info. I used OnStar 20 years ago to kill the engine, unlock doors and perform vehicle diagnostics.
If you are referring to the Sirius XM Guardian App it is total and utter garbage. I got a year free with both my 2019 ram limited and the wifes 2018 Durango SRT and over 90% of the time I got a signal fail error after about 90 seconds. I don't really care for remote start so I just never used it and obviously didn't pay for the service once the trial expired. My wife on the other hand really wanted remote start that worked when she was at work in the hospital before she headed out to her car. So I actually had an aftermarket Viper system installed with the cell phone app within a month of the first cold weather that works pretty much every time and much quicker in her car.

The Uconnect4 system and Sirius XM Guardian that is in the TRX is the same system that is in my 2019 Ram and they obviously haven't done anything to improve it. My advise is if you want a system that works go with a good aftermarket remote start and save yourself the headache.

Laggy. Hopefully, Uconnect 5 will speed things up. Maybe roll out for 2022??. As for the remote start, stick and press the remote directly under your chin and try to remote start the truck. Works all the time.

Yes, but unfortunately we are all getting the uconnect4 on our 2021 trucks. I for one am lucky as I don’t need or care about the app.

If you are referring to the Sirius XM Guardian App it is total and utter garbage. I got a year free with both my 2019 ram limited and the wifes 2018 Durango SRT and over 90% of the time I got a signal fail error after about 90 seconds. I don't really care for remote start so I just never used it and obviously didn't pay for the service once the trial expired. My wife on the other hand really wanted remote start that worked when she was at work in the hospital before she headed out to her car. So I actually had an aftermarket Viper system installed with the cell phone app within a month of the first cold weather that works pretty much every time and much quicker in her car.

The Uconnect4 system and Sirius XM Guardian that is in the TRX is the same system that is in my 2019 Ram and they obviously haven't done anything to improve it. My advise is if you want a system that works go with a good aftermarket remote start and save yourself the headache.
Yes, SiriusXM Guardian is what I'm referring to. I believe Uconnect is RAM's interface which incorporates Sirius, Guardian, etc.

With that said, you did confirm what I suspected. It seems like junk. What a shame.

Not that it matters all that much but I think your referring to the RAM “Telematic” system which is similar to OnStar and uses the satellites in orbit to interface with the truck. UConnect is more like the direct interface via a cable for UConnect 4 or Bluetooth for UConnect 5.

Bottom line is Telematics is using satellites which is what causes so much delay. My OnStar eneble vehicles have the same problem. The have long delays and sometimes don’t hit the mark at all but they do work for the most part if your willing to ignore the hiccups.

Not that it matters all that much but I think your referring to the RAM “Telematic” system which is similar to OnStar and uses the satellites in orbit to interface with the truck. UConnect is more like the direct interface via a cable for UConnect 4 or Bluetooth for UConnect 5.

Bottom line is Telematics is using satellites which is what causes so much delay. My OnStar eneble vehicles have the same problem. The have long delays and sometimes don’t hit the mark at all but they do work for the most part if your willing to ignore the hiccups.
I'm not sure about telematic, but Uconnect is the app on my phone that interfaces with the truck. I had to register for a Uconnect account in order for said features to work (or, not work) with the truck.

I'm not sure about telematic, but Uconnect is the app on my phone that interfaces with the truck. I had to register for a Uconnect account in order for said features to work (or, not work) with the truck.
So Uconnect is both the name of the infotainment system in the car, which I think is one of the best out there, but also the name of the app which I think is horrible.
I had over 10 FCA vehicles with the app to access remotely and I have to say the app has become worse over the years. I don't know if it is the app itself, the cellular bandwidth they are using or their backbone servers, the app started out as above average for its time and just became worse over the last 6 years.

The app sucks. I had a Tesla and there’s no comparison when it comes to the app. Uconnect itself actually pretty dang good as far as in car interfaces go. I didn’t realize Uconnect 5 was coming in the 22 MY. I may have waited to order had I realized that but oh well. It’s not a deal breaker for me I guess.

The app sucks. I had a Tesla and there’s no comparison when it comes to the app. Uconnect itself actually pretty dang good as far as in car interfaces go. I didn’t realize Uconnect 5 was coming in the 22 MY. I may have waited to order had I realized that but oh well. It’s not a deal breaker for me I guess.
Would you have really waited for the '22 model just for the UC5? Would the reward outweigh the sacrifice?

And my last rant regarding the remote start. C'mon Ram, this is a 100K vehicle, and a beautiful vehicle at that! But, for some reason, you weren't able to incorporate two-way communication/feedback into the key fob. Just a little blink of a led, just to confirm the vehicle has started. Sounds petty, but when you're in this climate, you really appreciate remote start, but only when the vehicle actually starts. Lol
My 2013 Roush Raptor has that feature, kind of. When I start, or have the Valet start my Little Red Truck I can hear it start when I am a block away inside of a multi layer parking garage. I am rather certain the same feature exists in the Hellcat.

Would you have really waited for the '22 model just for the UC5? Would the reward outweigh the sacrifice?
Lol. I actually probably would have. The older I get the faster time flies by so waiting another 6-8 months really wouldn’t have killed me I don’t think. Though I will say it’s impossible to try and keep up with tech. I bought that Tesla and literally 4 months later they started selling cars with autopilot 1.0. I bought my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica and the next year they added apple car play. The list goes on.

Well Uconnect 5 is the headunit OS and not the app. The app will still suck even with a newer headunit OS unless they fix the app, which by the way is used across a couple of Uconnect generations.
I have a Tesla 3, and while the app responds better, it has a really annoying delay where it says "waking up" but after that it seems to be working much better then the Uconnect app. On my Maserati which has an almost identical unit to the SRT (Uconnect 4) they chose not to include cell access and the app at all...

Ah, I did not realize you were talking about the app. I hope it’s not all trash. I love technology when it works, not so much when it does not work.

Back