Which resonator/muffler???

cobrar97

TRX Fiend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 RAM Limited
So I've read and read about how great changing out the OEM mufflers are with some SLP Resonators. And I'm down for that. Looking around, I see there's 3 options...which is the best?

SLP Loud Mouth Resonators
SLP Loud Mouth II Mufflers
MBRP Resonators

The biggest concern of mine is drone and creating unwanted "noise" at highway cruising speeds 65-75.
I know the SLP Resonators are the most popular on here as far as people changing to them. But what about the MBRP Resonator? It's 20" (the exact same length as the OEM unit versus the short 18" SLP). What type of sound difference (good or bad) would this make?

Next up is the SLP Loud Mouth II Muffler. I've not see anyone talking about this one. How does this sound on a TRX compared to OEM and then also compared to the SLP original version?

The reason the SLP resonators are popular is because that is the only thing you can "swap out" while retaining the rest of the stock exhaust. Other than the stock resonators, the rest of the exhaust is just straight pipe. There are no mufflers at the ends at all.

As far as what the MBRPs sound like, I have no idea. I can tell you that the SLP resonators do not drone. Been in my buddy's TRX with them installed many times and never heard it.

I put FLOWMASTER Outlaws on my Hellcat. The SLP’s are too raspy for me. Sounds like something getting choked. Any Bullet type muffler will work, it’s your preference. Do a YouTube search for Hellcat and whatever muffler and give it a listen. It’s gonna sound the same on the TRX.

AFE makes a bolt in that requires no welding. Not sure on availability but it's reasonably priced at around $300 or so. Requires only 1 cut and clamps in 4 places.

Edit link

From what I understand, the TRX has much longer pipes so an SLP resonator on the TRX will sound different than the Hellcat...
I put FLOWMASTER Outlaws on my Hellcat. The SLP’s are too raspy for me. Sounds like something getting choked. Any Bullet type muffler will work, it’s your preference. Do a YouTube search for Hellcat and whatever muffler and give it a listen. It’s gonna sound the same on the TRX.

I guess I'm looking for the best sounds. I like low, thunderous bass...not high-pitched rasp. Cars can get away with more rasp, but trucks no so much (in my mind).
I just didn't know the difference between the SLP 1 and SLP 2. Although they LOOK the same, one is called a resonator, the other a muffler. Obviously there's going to be a difference.
Then there's the MBRP that's longer...which would affect sound also.

Just get borla exhaust best price for high quality sound and build. I had borla on 5.7 hemi and sounded amazing, don’t expect less from their TRX system. Borla is truly the best when it comes to exhaust. I did the SLP loudmouths as well when I first received truck in October. But you can’t compare the resonator swap to borlas exhaust just sayin 😆

Just get borla exhaust best price for high quality sound and build. I had borla on 5.7 hemi and sounded amazing, don’t expect less from their TRX system. Borla is truly the best when it comes to exhaust. I did the SLP loudmouths as well when I first received truck in October. But you can’t compare the resonator swap to borlas exhaust just sayin 😆
I would totally, 100% agree. I'm just not interested in spending that much money for a full Borla exhaust. Considering how the truck sounds OEM, it's just not worth it to me. I can pay $400 or so for a slightly better sound (if that's what SLP or MBRP offers), but I'm not paying Borla bucks (it just doesn't matter to me).

From what I understand, the TRX has much longer pipes so an SLP resonator on the TRX will sound different than the Hellcat...
Very minimal difference if any. Challenger sounds the same as a TRX, Trackhawk, Charger…..Ive heard them all in person with 50 different combos. The biggest difference in sound is with the guys running headers and custom x pipes.

AFE makes a bolt in that requires no welding. Not sure on availability but it's reasonably priced at around $300 or so. Requires only 1 cut and clamps in 4 places.

Edit link
I did the AFE, no drone, about 1 Hour to install. If you don’t like it u can always install the borla, same cut at at 3 inches on drivers muffler. I saw zero reason to install any 1200 set up when we already have 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust. Mine sounds stock at cruising speed and loader when you the gas.

I did the AFE, no drone, about 1 Hour to install. If you don’t like it u can always install the borla, same cut at at 3 inches on drivers muffler. I saw zero reason to install any 1200 set up when we already have 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust. Mine sounds stock at cruising speed and loader when you the gas.
When you say "louder" when hitting the gas, do you also notice a better sound tone too?

I definitely want stock (quiet) at cruising...at idle, I'd like to have a lower tone, and under acceleration a little louder with better overall tone. NO drone...that would be unacceptable no matter how good it sounded otherwise. Just trying to find the best option that could hit those items without being a Borla $$$.
And, no, it's not that I can't afford it (since someone will say that eventually)...it's just that OEM is pretty darn good, and spending $1000+ just isn't worth it to me for the difference. Now $500, that I'd consider.

I deleted the mid muffler and while it sounds good, I cant recommend it. Its missing the clean sound a good exhaust should have. I may try the flowmaster outlaw mufflers before installing Borla. Really the best sound will come from a better executed X or H pipe.

I think the SLP's sound great, but I have nothing else to compare them to other than stock. They're surprisingly mild, in my opinion (I wish they were a tad louder). No drone and while I haven't gone WOT, I don't hear any rasp while messing around in the higher rpm's.

When you say "louder" when hitting the gas, do you also notice a better sound tone too?

I definitely want stock (quiet) at cruising...at idle, I'd like to have a lower tone, and under acceleration a little louder with better overall tone. NO drone...that would be unacceptable no matter how good it sounded otherwise. Just trying to find the best option that could hit those items without being a Borla $$$.
And, no, it's not that I can't afford it (since someone will say that eventually)...it's just that OEM is pretty darn good, and spending $1000+ just isn't worth it to me for the difference. Now $500, that I'd consider.
It is louder across the range when accelerating, a lot louder when u floor it. It sounds great the way a bad ass truck should sound. I had the borla attack on my ram 1500 and it also sounded good, this setup is louder

I guess I'm looking for the best sounds. I like low, thunderous bass...not high-pitched rasp. Cars can get away with more rasp, but trucks no so much (in my mind).
I just didn't know the difference between the SLP 1 and SLP 2. Although they LOOK the same, one is called a resonator, the other a muffler. Obviously there's going to be a difference.
Then there's the MBRP that's longer...which would affect sound also.
SLP1 are the original design and are more straight through. Its like straight pipe but takes some of the rasp away that straightpipe has. SLP2s are like the factory resonators. It has baffles inside to deaden the sound like stock.

I did the SLP1s. Two 3 inch SLP Loudmouth 1s and you can either weld it or if you cut close enough, a few people have clamped them on just fine. Under 200 bucks in parts. I have no regrets. I'll have an intake and the SLPs for less then some have into swapping 3 inch oem exhaust with 3 inch aftermarket exhaust. I have heard the MBRP exhaust in person and sounds the same too me. Have not heard the x-pipe/h-pipe swap exhausts in person but not interested in a 2k exhaust myself and haven't seen a dyno on an h-pipe exhaust that doesnt cut off at 5k rpms, probably for good reason.

It is louder across the range when accelerating, a lot louder when u floor it. It sounds great the way a bad ass truck should sound. I had the borla attack on my ram 1500 and it also sounded good, this setup is louder
Which sound do you like better... if the cost were the same?

SLP1 are the original design and are more straight through. Its like straight pipe but takes some of the rasp away that straightpipe has. SLP2s are like the factory resonators. It has baffles inside to deaden the sound like stock.

I did the SLP1s. Two 3 inch SLP Loudmouth 1s and you can either weld it or if you cut close enough, a few people have clamped them on just fine. Under 200 bucks in parts. I have no regrets. I'll have an intake and the SLPs for less then some have into swapping 3 inch oem exhaust with 3 inch aftermarket exhaust. I have heard the MBRP exhaust in person and sounds the same too me. Have not heard the x-pipe/h-pipe swap exhausts in person but not interested in a 2k exhaust myself and haven't seen a dyno on an h-pipe exhaust that doesnt cut off at 5k rpms, probably for good reason.
Is there and sounds difference between the stock mufflers and the SLP2s?

Is there and sounds difference between the stock mufflers and the SLP2s?
I don't know of anyone that did the SLP2s. Just a guess but I imagine not much difference in sound but hard to say without having heard someone running the 2s.

SLP2:
1647305169628.png

SLP1s and stock at about the 1:90 mark:

The SLP2s and stocks have sound deadening in that middle portion.

Back