What vehicle would you buy for 60,000?

It's no Jeep 392. 😏
That would be my first choice, to be honest. I was hoping to see a hellcat-powered gladiator. Guess we will just have to do it ourselves. I'd even settle for a 392 model.

That would be my first choice, to be honest. I was hoping to see a hellcat-powered gladiator. Guess we will just have to do it ourselves. I'd even settle for a 392 model.
I saw a demon powered gladiator for sale at Mohegan Sun in Connecticut a couple weeks ago. It was lifted, red, had demon badging and overall bad ass. But….at $199k, cough/choke!!!

how big does it need to be? I have had a lot BMWs, so I am partial. A used BMW M2 is a great drivers car for leas than your budget. The new M2 just got announced but it will be a tad above budget and not out till summer.

For fast sedans you have the M3, the latest gen are hard to get, but the last gen used are now falling in price and a lot of fun.

I hate the interior styling of Mercedes, so outside of the G Wagon, I haven’t had many of those. But the AMG power plants are awesome.

If you want something completely different, you could always get a Tesla Model Y and have something faster than your TRX and drive gas free. The interior is minimalist but some like it. I wouldn’t call any tesla luxurious, but they GO and are fun to drive. Also Teslas hold their clue pretty well, so you can likely get out of it later easier than a gas car.

if you go BMW or Mercedes AMG you may also want to factor in maintenance cost or if you can do basic maintenance yourself. As for another vehicle to consider, maybe the Dodge Durango SRT Hellcat. It came out in21 and now releasing. 23 version. Not sure the cost but we love our Durango with the 5.7. just a thought and it's not hard to work on...

Thanks @Nitro, this is something I was looking for when I made my post. I’ve already looked locally, there may be some options. Are there any BMW models that compare with the RS3?

I haven't looked much into the competing BMWs. I would also check out the new Lexus IS500. You get the old school muscle car sound & performance out of a nice-looking 4 door sedan.

I believe a 19-20 M550I may be creeping into that price range. Great luxury sedan. Twin turbo v8. Not too much on the sporty handling front, but plenty of straight line performance.

I would stay away from BMWs if you plan to keep outside of warranty period.

My CTS-V is the only car I regret selling but if you want a true luxury interior with some performance then I would go AMG or Audi. Audi is the best interior and highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. You consider a used S5 gran coupe? C43 AMG sedan is also an option.

I haven't looked much into the competing BMWs. I would also check out the new Lexus IS500. You get the old school muscle car sound & performance out of a nice-looking 4 door sedan.

In 2006 I bought my first (and only) Lexus. It was an IS350 and it was a super fun car…all the way to 143mph (governor). With a commendable 0-60 at 5 secs back then, it wasn’t a slouch.
One of my boys still drives it. I drove it like I stole it each time I was behind the wheel before passing it down. It now has 200k+ miles on it and still looks and drives great. I am not a fan of the look of the new Lexus now-a-days. But they are very reliable for sure.

I’d get the RS3 if space wasn’t a factor. It’s backseat is pretty useless unless you have small kids.

IS500 F Sport would be cool too, especially if you ever got the opportunity to put a turbo kit on it, as it won’t exactly keep up with the RS stock.

The new M2 is a huge step backwards for BMW. It’s only saving grace is the price, but I would much rather splurge on an M3/M4 Comp xDrive. I got used to the grill on those but I’ll never get used to what they did to the rear of the M2, ugly as hell and no way to fix it.

I don’t buy used cars anymore, couldn’t comment on that part much. I just hate the roulette game of seeing how someone else took care of (or didn’t) the vehicle while they had it. New or bust, especially since you can build to spec exactly as you want it.

My wife drives a 2018 Lexus RX-350 F-Sport. It was about $60k when we bought it new. It has sports modes that improve shifting and stiffen the suspension, similar to the TRX Sport mode. Now, it’s no TRX, but it drives super nice and is very comfortable. The F-Sport has different seats from the other trims, so definitely make sure to drive one of those.

When we were buying this, we drove the competitive BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo and this was by far the best technology and driving. Also, the maintenance has been zero other than expected. We have about 57k miles on it now.

My wife drives a 2018 Lexus RX-350 F-Sport. It was about $60k when we bought it new. It has sports modes that improve shifting and stiffen the suspension, similar to the TRX Sport mode. Now, it’s no TRX, but it drives super nice and is very comfortable. The F-Sport has different seats from the other trims, so definitely make sure to drive one of those.

When we were buying this, we drove the competitive BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo and this was by far the best technology and driving. Also, the maintenance has been zero other than expected. We have about 57k miles on it now.
My wife wants to trade our Rubicon for a hybrid, trying to convince her on the 23 RX500h F Sport so I’ll still enjoy driving it. Not against the hybrid as long as it isn’t slow as crap.

My wife wants to trade our Rubicon for a hybrid, trying to convince her on the 23 RX500h F Sport so I’ll still enjoy driving it. Not against the hybrid as long as it isn’t slow as crap.
Yeah, we looked at the RX450h when we bought ours, but at the time they were slower, heavier, with marginally better gas milage. I’m sure they’ve improved since then.

Yeah, we looked at the RX450h when we bought ours, but at the time they were slower, heavier, with marginally better gas milage. I’m sure they’ve improved since then.
I look at the range. My wife hates filling up at the pump, apparently all women do. I’ve never met a woman who didn’t voice how much they hated pumping gas for some odd reason lol.

The 23 has a 464 mile range and does 0-60 in 5.9.

Yeah, that is indeed better than when we were looking.

I really liked my 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport 2.0 L Turbo AWD. It was mid 4s 0-60 and would easily get 40+ mpg (hand calculated not the lie-o-meter) on road trips. Now Alfas have a rep for being problematic however I had zero issues in the year I owned it and it was a blast to drive. Bought it used last year for $35k, new I think the sticker said $45-50k. Backseat is pretty small though and trunk didn't hold a lot of luggage.

Don't forget about the lexus GX460. My wife loves hers. No issues, rock solid. Brand new 60K for the premium version.

I really liked my 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport 2.0 L Turbo AWD. It was mid 4s 0-60 and would easily get 40+ mpg (hand calculated not the lie-o-meter) on road trips. Now Alfas have a rep for being problematic however I had zero issues in the year I owned it and it was a blast to drive. Bought it used last year for $35k, new I think the sticker said $45-50k. Backseat is pretty small though and trunk didn't hold a lot of luggage.
Good call, I think both the Giulia and Stelvio are sleepers... well, unless you're unlucky and get an Alfa lemon.

Back