Vinyl options

X-ray

TRX Member
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Mercedes E63S Wagon
Was considering adding a few touches of red to my granite TRX when it arrives and found this website. Just posting it for future reference in hopes they make TRX specific pieces.

X

Exactly why I didn't spend $1400 for 3 stickers.

Plus I want to wrap the truck so they would have to come off anyway

I'm new to the forum. ANXIOUSLY waiting on my TRX.
I was looking around and I saw these on ebay.
Item ID: 254855953918 , 254855954652 , 254855955851 , 254855958216 , 254855959408 , 254855962027 all from the same user that I bought all my Rebel decals from and I love them.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (17).jpg
    s-l1600 (17).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 69
  • s-l1600 (18).jpg
    s-l1600 (18).jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 65
  • s-l1600 (19).jpg
    s-l1600 (19).jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 50
  • s-l1600 (20).jpg
    s-l1600 (20).jpg
    351 KB · Views: 55
  • s-l1600 (21).jpg
    s-l1600 (21).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 71

I believe I have come to the idea of a full wrap, The one thing that has always stress me out about a new vehicle is the paint! Not Redlining the engine, Not hard hits on the suspension. PAINT! And when It gets old and beat up, Remove it.

Same thing I did with my 4Runner in the bush. I got that XPEL matte clear finish and I love it... Expensive but it saves the tree branch scrapes on my paint all along the side doors.

Same thing I did with my 4Runner in the bush. I got that XPEL matte clear finish and I love it... Expensive but it saves the tree branch scrapes on my paint all along the side doors.
Do they need to remove any body parts to put a full wrap on the truck? I love the idea of the xpel but I’m always weary of removing brand new stuff and putting it back on

Do they need to remove any body parts to put a full wrap on the truck? I love the idea of the xpel but I’m always weary of removing brand new stuff and putting it back on

Most wrap is pre-cut from a template manufacturers provide install shops and they have a machine that cuts the correct pieces, so no you don't have to remove any bodywork to get it installed.

There's also the custom cut route where the installer cuts all the pieces by hand so as to be able to tuck them perfectly under all the body panels and wrap every mm of the car. For that they will often remove headlights, door handles, and other bodywork to wrap the harder to get to spots. This process is super expensive and also highly dependent to the skill of the installer, not only to get it to look right but also because x-acto knives and paint aren't buddies, and it's not a rare thing that repainting is the result of installer error.

The pre-cut is all you really need for a truck like this, unless you want to drop $10k on a wrap to not see a few seams at the edges. And that can mostly be resolved by the installer 'over plotting' the cut, meaning that they tell the cutting machine to add a few mm to each piece so as to get more coverage and more tuck. The only downside of it is if you have a white vehicle, and that's because dirt gets trapped at the seams and over time they become more visible, and there's no way to clean that away.

By "wrap" I'll assume you mean PPF and not colored vinyl as they're different of course. Yes...having mine fully PPF'd and ceramic coated now and handles come off. Otherwise nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG_3044.jpeg
    IMG_3044.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 138
Most wrap is pre-cut from a template manufacturers provide install shops and they have a machine that cuts the correct pieces, so no you don't have to remove any bodywork to get it installed.

There's also the custom cut route where the installer cuts all the pieces by hand so as to be able to tuck them perfectly under all the body panels and wrap every mm of the car. For that they will often remove headlights, door handles, and other bodywork to wrap the harder to get to spots. This process is super expensive and also highly dependent to the skill of the installer, not only to get it to look right but also because x-acto knives and paint aren't buddies, and it's not a rare thing that repainting is the result of installer error.

The pre-cut is all you really need for a truck like this, unless you want to drop $10k on a wrap to not see a few seams at the edges. And that can mostly be resolved by the installer 'over plotting' the cut, meaning that they tell the cutting machine to add a few mm to each piece so as to get more coverage and more tuck. The only downside of it is if you have a white vehicle, and that's because dirt gets trapped at the seams and over time they become more visible, and there's no way to clean that away.
Thanks. Did you get a wrap bid for your truck? And have you gotten to drive it much yet?

great point....and I will pose it to Xpel but there looks to be an option for Xpel kits WITH decals...says something about inconsistent placement which terrifies me but that would be a killer option ?

Thanks. Did you get a wrap bid for your truck? And have you gotten to drive it much yet?

They're finishing up with the skid plate swap as we speak, picking it up around 3pm.
It goes in for wrap on Monday so I'll finally have the time to drive it and get to know it over the weekend.
Full Xpel + full ceramic + two front windows tinted to mach the rears = $4500
Keep in mind where I am though, from what I gather this stuff is a lot more expensive in other areas of the country, and chapel in a few.

great point....and I will pose it to Xpel but there looks to be an option for Xpel kits WITH decals...says something about inconsistent placement which terrifies me but that would be a killer option ?
I'm doing a vinyl wrap, so I'm changing my color to green. So off comes the SCAM badges

They're finishing up with the skid plate swap as we speak, picking it up around 3pm.
It goes in for wrap on Monday so I'll finally have the time to drive it and get to know it over the weekend.
Keep in mind where I am though, from what I gather this stuff is a lot more expensive in other areas of the country, and chapel in a few.
Love the pricing....that’s the Piggly Wiggly of price point! I’m almost double. Let’s hope they’re good at it. Congrats.

Thanks for the info. I would do my research and only bring it to an authorized shop not trying to cut corners

I have a quote for full xpel wrap and full ceramic for $5000....seems consistent with your pricing or close at least

Why do you need ceramic with the xpel?
Things are always better in pairs :) ...well Youtube the water flush on a ceramic coated auto.... Xpel base protection/ceramic top coated minor protection but its looks like wet dripping paint (if you're in to that of course). Just completed ppf/ceramic and tint here.....that's after paint prep however. PPF won't shine like this w/o ceramic.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3049.JPG
    IMG_3049.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 91

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back