Vibration/grinding on takeoff

Chris24

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
ram trx level 2
Hi - hoping someone can help here. When I take off from a stop the truck randomly makes a stutter/grinding vibration for just a small amount of time . Maybe similar sound to when you hit a rumble strip. Seems possibly transmission related and only occurs from start. Happens randomly. Truck has 1500 miles on it.
i have the same issue when cold. truck only has 2k miles on it. dealer said they checked the transfer fluids when i picked it up. its going in for oil change and to take a look at that issue in a few weeks. if i remember ill post the outcome on this thread

RamCares

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Mine does this exact thing, dealer said they didn’t hear the noise and it’s operating normal.

@RamCares can you help us out?
We'd be happy to help! If anyone is experiencing this issue, please send us a direct message so that we can dig into this with you.

Callie
Ram Cares

MAF

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2008 FJ Cruiser
No joke, mine has been doing this occasionally too. I have to make a left hand turn onto the main road where I live and then accelerate. So far, it is only when leaving my driveway when shifting from 1 to 2. I've been trying to figure out if it is power steering, transmission, front diff, or somewhere else.
This is when I usually hear it on mine! Accelerating into a turn to get up to traffic speed. I thought maybe it was a differential thing. Watching this thread.

OP
OP
E

Echorama33

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
So dealership thinks it’s something in the supercharger. They are calling “engineering “ tomorrow to advise next steps then they’ll let me know. I’ll post when I know more

OZ_TRX

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX Granite Crystal
So dealership thinks it’s something in the supercharger. They are calling “engineering “ tomorrow to advise next steps then they’ll let me know. I’ll post when I know more
Weird. Sure didn’t sound like it wasn’t coming from that high up when I heard it. Curious about what conclusions their super smart engineer will come to. Thanks for the update.

OP
OP
E

Echorama33

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
Yeah I didn’t think supercharger. They put chassis ears in and located the sound w them. Never heard of them but we’ll see where this goes.

HanxTRX

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
My diff fluids and transfer case fluids were checked…normal

I thought it was the transfer case for sure as it was a little low when I pulled the fill plug to check it. Got all the stuff and changed out diff and tcase fluid and still happens.

I’m wondering if the transmission fluid is a little low as it seems to only happen when cold on mine. Others have mentioned this as well. The fluid expands as it warms up and then there’s enough to cover all the moving parts.

I know the transmission is sealed but there’s a way to check the fluid level with the fill plug. Should probably be done by the dealer as there are specific procedures that need to be followed. I would have them check the transmission fluid level before touching the SC or engine, just a thought.

HanxTRX

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Have you heard anything back on this? Thanks for leading the way, seems like a few of us are experiencing this

JT3

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram Rebel
No joke, mine has been doing this occasionally too. I have to make a left hand turn onto the main road where I live and then accelerate. So far, it is only when leaving my driveway when shifting from 1 to 2. I've been trying to figure out if it is power steering, transmission, front diff, or somewhere else.
I am having the exact same issue also. Just started a couple weeks ago and trucks a little over 4k miles. Has probably happened 4-5 times. Same thing making a left and it’s on the 1-2 shift.

ChaseBelfast

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram 2500
Mine truck has been at the dealer for over a week now, they have no clue what the problem is.

OP
OP
E

Echorama33

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
I’m still waiting to get in. My tech has been out sick. But I can confirm it definitively happens on shift from 1st to 2nd while applying some power. May in fact be supercharger related as acceleration engages supercharger(?). I’ll post more when I hear it.

Terahok

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 RAM TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Please do. I'm curious what he finds.

T-bone

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram 2500
Funny i found this thread. Mine did a funny grinding-wooshing thing between 1st and 2nd when transmision was cold but only under moderate power. It seemed to me that the transmision timeing (release one pack amd grab another) was slighy off from 1st to 2nd when fluid was cold. I figured i would wait and let transmision get broken in and self learn. Now at 9k noise almost never happens (heard it the first time in a few months a couple weeks ago) plus it is much colder now. Currious what the dealer says but mine is all but gone.

Reactions: JT3

JT3

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram Rebel
I have a feeling it’s something cold weather related. Picked up my truck 1st week of April and only now once it’s gotten cold have I felt it. Not a consistent thing though because it’s probably been 5-7 days without it happening. Definitely don’t want dealer messing with my truck though unless completely necessary. Felt like trans to me.

JT3

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram Rebel
Mine did it again this morning. Did anyone figure anything out on this yet?

OP
OP
E

Echorama33

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
I just heard from the dealership. They think it is the supercharger and are putting a new one in. That kind of worries me….big job. Things often don’t go back together as well as factory. Ugh. New SCer will be two weeks arriving.

OZ_TRX

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX Granite Crystal
I just heard from the dealership. They think it is the supercharger and are putting a new one in. That kind of worries me….big job. Things often don’t go back together as well as factory. Ugh. New SCer will be two weeks arriving.
Thanks for the update. Curious if this will solve anything. Keep us posted.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping