(Updated 2/27/21) A perspective of a regular guy buying a TRX..... Honest review and analysis.

Jackson

HellRex Curator
Founding Member
2x TRX of the Month 🏆
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Bonanza A36
Current Ride #2
Ballistic 223
Day 1: Bringing her home!

For those reading this…. These are my opinions. I’ve never modded a truck like this. Sure, I’ve altered every truck I’ve ever owned but I’ve never owned a Baja style truck and it will likely never see a sand dune or enter in any type of race. I will likely only drag race and spank rice burners from various stop lights but that’s the extent of the racing this truck will see. So don’t get offended, these are my opinions. My initial impression is exactly what everyone said.... This truck is BIG. It does have a significant positive rake angle which I’d like corrected but to me, a lot of trucks these days seem to have that jacked up dragster look. I realize a slightly positive rake is required but I feel the TRX looks better with a little less than it has. After less than twenty four hours of ownership, she’s going under the knife tomorrow to have some alterations made. This engine is insane. I’ve been following the break in rules but it’s getting really hard and I have 200 more miles to go. There is so much that I love about this truck but let me tell you a few things that I’m going to change.

Mod #1: The sound system. Understand that I judged car audio competitions all over the country when I was younger so I have a trained ear and therefore I alter 95% of all automobiles I own. My wife’s Range Rover with the Meridian DSP upgrade has been the lone exception. I can’t comment on the stock system for the TRX but the Harmon Kardon upgrade is less than glorious. Ironically, the best part of the upgrade is the subwoofer. In our 2019 ¾ ton Ram, the Alpine system makes a God-awful noise when the sub “bottoms out” or clips the waves it can’t quite produce. This HK system is a drastic improvement over that. The sub sounds good though it lacks the punch to keep up with higher volumes or lower frequencies. That being said, it’s the best part of the upgrade. I’ll rip this one out and us one or two JL Audio 13s or go with some Focal drivers in a custom enclosure under rear seat and then cross the rest of the system over at a higher frequency so that the door drivers aren’t trying to produce the bass the subs will be responsible for. With the transfer function of a quad cab truck, this typically adds volume, mid bass and sub bass without having to alter the mids and high frequency drivers. With that being said, this HK system has some really shrill notes occurring at around 2-5K Hz that make you cringe when you’re not even at half volume. The amount of glass in the truck cab can be tough to account for but the drivers they use seem to be cheap and unable to NOT make you twitch when certain notes are produced. Some of this can be attenuated with a decent EQ but as we only have three levels of adjustment: bass, mid and treble, there’s no way to do any type of attenuation. So, the sub will come out and be replaced with something beefier and eventually the upper end drivers will need to be replaced and a DSP installed to utilize the speaker locations. What’s bizarre is that the speaker locations are placed in a way to utilize a DSP yet one wasn’t installed. It makes very little sense but again, far better than what Ford or GM is offering (though I haven’t heard the new B&O upgrade).

Mod #2: They are PROUD OF THE TRX! And they should be. But damn, there’s Ram badging all over the truck. Some of that needs to come off. My main question is this: The Viper had an emblem, the Hellcat has an emblem, the Demon had an emblem…… But no emblem for the TRX? I’m pulling most of the Ram badging off except a few pieces and adding the cool looking Hellasaurus Rex badges since Triple B and my buddy David have picked up where the SRT boys left off.

More soon..... It's been a long and exciting day as I'm one of the folks that waited six months for this truck to arrive with little communication from anyone other than some nice folks on this forum.

J

Awesome man!

For those reading this…. These are my opinions. I’ve never modded a truck like this. Sure, I’ve altered every truck I’ve ever owned but I’ve never owned a Baja style truck and it will likely never see a sand dune or enter in any type of race. I will likely only drag race and spank rice burners from various stop lights but that’s the extent of the racing this truck will see. So don’t get offended, these are my opinions. My initial impression is exactly what everyone said.... This truck is BIG. It does have a significant positive rake angle which I’d like corrected but to me, a lot of trucks these days seem to have that jacked up dragster look. I realize a slightly positive rake is required but I feel the TRX looks better with a little less than it has. After less than twenty four hours of ownership, she’s going under the knife tomorrow to have some alterations made. This engine is insane. I’ve been following the break in rules but it’s getting really hard and I have 200 more miles to go. There is so much that I love about this truck but let me tell you a few things that I’m going to change.

Mod #1: The sound system. Understand that I judged car audio competitions all over the country when I was younger so I have a trained ear and therefore I alter 95% of all automobiles I own. My wife’s Range Rover with the Meridian DSP upgrade has been the lone exception. I can’t comment on the stock system for the TRX but the Harmon Kardon upgrade is less than glorious. Ironically, the best part of the upgrade is the subwoofer. In our 2019 ¾ ton Ram, the Alpine system makes a God-awful noise when the sub “bottoms out” or clips the waves it can’t quite produce. This HK system is a drastic improvement over that. The sub sounds good though it lacks the punch to keep up with higher volumes or lower frequencies. That being said, it’s the best part of the upgrade. I’ll rip this one out and us one or two JL Audio 13s or go with some Focal drivers in a custom enclosure under rear seat and then cross the rest of the system over at a higher frequency so that the door drivers aren’t trying to produce the bass the subs will be responsible for. With the transfer function of a quad cab truck, this typically adds volume, mid bass and sub bass without having to alter the mids and high frequency drivers. With that being said, this HK system has some really shrill notes occurring at around 2-5K Hz that make you cringe when you’re not even at half volume. The amount of glass in the truck cab can be tough to account for but the drivers they use seem to be cheap and unable to NOT make you twitch when certain notes are produced. Some of this can be attenuated with a decent EQ but as we only have three levels of adjustment: bass, mid and treble, there’s no way to do any type of attenuation. So, the sub will come out and be replaced with something beefier and eventually the upper end drivers will need to be replaced and a DSP installed to utilize the speaker locations. What’s bizarre is that the speaker locations are placed in a way to utilize a DSP yet one wasn’t installed. It makes very little sense but again, far better than what Ford or GM is offering (though I haven’t heard the new B&O upgrade).

Mod #2: They are PROUD OF THE TRX! And they should be. But damn, there’s Ram badging all over the truck. Some of that needs to come off. My main question is this: The Viper had an emblem, the Hellcat has an emblem, the Demon had an emblem…… But no emblem for the TRX? I’m pulling most of the Ram badging off except a few pieces and adding the cool looking Hellasaurus Rex badges since Triple B and my buddy David have picked up where the SRT boys left off.

More soon..... It's been a long and exciting day as I'm one of the folks that waited six months for this truck to arrive with little communication from anyone other than some nice folks on this forum.

J
Wow, great feedback. I have heard from everyone who received their beast already talk about the noise coming out the back, but nothing about the other sound system (HK). It was going to be my next post. My wife’s RR has an amazing sound as well, I wont touch it. Admittedly, I have a tendency of turning the radio off and just listening to the RPM shift points and exhaust notes when I drive Unless on a long journey. Thanks for the in depth info! Enjoy the beast!

Wow, great feedback. I have heard from everyone who received their beast already talk about the noise coming out the back, but nothing about the other sound system (HK). It was going to be my next post. My wife’s RR has an amazing sound as well, I wont touch it. Admittedly, I have a tendency of turning the radio off and just listening to the RPM shift points and exhaust notes when I drive Unless on a long journey. Thanks for the in depth info! Enjoy the beast!
Is RR stand for Range Rover or Rolls Royce?

I thought the same thing. Assuming Range Rover.

Would love to see the specific components you are putting in for the sound upgrade as my truck will be going under the knife end of March for a JL and Focal install. I ordered all of my stuff and put the deposit down, but I may tinker with it. I also haven't seen a definitive diagram of the speaker and size locations so may need to adjust on the fly. As I've noted in other threads I'm going with the JL Stealthbox and hoping the Stealthbox for the 1500 with reclining seats fits in a TR2 packaged TRX.

J
Good stuff!! I was impressed with the stock subs but I guess I am glad I don't have an audiophile ear; a lot of what you said I don't understand but I certainly believe you. I think the system sounds good but I like the volume low so I can hear the beautiful engine and whine!

Glad you are enjoying your new truck! I agree the sound system is OK, but could use some upgrades. The B&O in my '18 F450 sounded like crap (albeit better than the Sony), so it all got ripped out and replaced. Mosconi sound processing, JL amps, 3 of the 10TW3 under the rear seat, and Hertz 3 ways for mids/highs. Running everything full active and it sounds glorious. I may go back to Focal on my TRX, but the Hertz aren't quite as bright which I typically prefer. There are speakers EVERYEWHERE in the TRX, so like you said it would lend itself to some sound processing. Definitely keep us up to date on what you go with.

I've actually not been offended by the badging on the TRX, but mine is black and so is all of the badging. I'm usually not a sticker/graphics guy either, but the matte black TRX on the bedside and the matte hood graphics with a simple TRX actually are nice touches on this black truck. I don't think I would do them on any other color, and would likely dump all the exterior badging if I had some other exterior color than black. Totally agree a cool badge like the Hellcat or Demon got would have been warranted. Not sure why they didn't put one on the TRX.

J

You think the badge thing has something to do with it being a Ram VS a Dodge? The trackhawk is the same way as TRX and its a Jeep. All of the fancy Dodge versions (challengers / chargers) scat, 1320, redeye etc all have the badging.

Just food for thought.

You think the badge thing has something to do with it being a Ram VS a Dodge? The trackhawk is the same way as TRX and its a Jeep. All of the fancy Dodge versions (challengers / chargers) scat, 1320, redeye etc all have the badging.

Just food for thought.
Yep, it’s definitely a trademark thing.

Just food for thought.

I didn't think about that. Isn't Ram really Dodge though? Oh, goodness.... never mind on that one! ;)

Custom..... I like what you're thinking. I can't say I'm familiar with Musconi but I love a well tuned system.

Wolverine.... I think we are going to go custom and use three of the Focal E25EX subs and just put crazy wattage on them. I'm thinking multiple of the big Focal amps but I'm waiting for my guys to tell me what the measurements revealed.

TRex Ram - I can't argue with that. I've been shutting the tunes off just to hear the amazing sound of the truck. It's addicting!

I'm also going with the Escort 360 Ci because I have a lead foot.

The coolest part will be what the team is doing with the Hellasaurus Rex badging. They will be incorporating the image into other areas of the truck as well which should end up looking pretty sharp.

I ended up going with Fuel Assault 22X10s and we are powder coating the brake calipers red.

I'll keep you posted as it develops.

More on the truck review coming..... That rear view mirror needs discussion.

Jackson

C8AD9DF8-DA29-4549-9825-A6C06345BAF0.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't think about that. Isn't Ram really Dodge though? Oh, goodness.... never mind on that one! ;)

Custom..... I like what you're thinking. I can't say I'm familiar with Musconi but I love a well tuned system.

Wolverine.... I think we are going to go custom and use three of the Focal E25EX subs and just put crazy wattage on them. I'm thinking two of the 1000 watt amps but I'm waiting for my guys to tell me what the measurements revealed.

TRex Ram - I can't argue with that. I've been shutting the tunes off just to hear the amazing sound of the truck. It's addicting!

I'm also going with the Escort 360 Ci because I have a lead foot.

The coolest part will be what the team is doing with the Hellasaurus Rex badging. They will be incorporating the image into other areas of the truck as well which should end up looking pretty sharp.

I ended up going with Fuel Assault 22X10s and we are powder coating the brake calipers red.

I'll keep you posted as it develops.

More on the truck review coming..... That rear view mirror needs discussion.

Jackson

View attachment 6104

I think you found your new display picture! 🤣

1614365003845.png

I've had a few moments to put down a few more thoughts for those on the fence or just curious. ;)

Is this a beautiful truck, or what!?

Yes, it is! But wait.... I thought I noticed something and then remembered some folks discussing the weight of the truck and now I think I know why. When parked on level ground, the driver’s side of the truck appears to sit lower than the passenger side. When you put a tape to it, there’s a one inch discrepancy from left to right. Am I being picky? Maybe. I thought this might be because I parked it in Baja mode which allows for that old school Cadillac suspension travel (think land yacht) but even when I park it in other modes, it’s still there. Now, it’s rarely parked on a totally flat surface so it’s not something readily noticeable but nevertheless, I’d like Ram to find a solution and resolve it. I do recall a forum member saying that the driver’s side is 175 lbs heavier than the passenger side but when I put all 190 lbs of me in the passenger seat there was almost zero change. So, I'm not sure what any of this means but now that I know it's there, I think it's going to bug me. 😏 Cue Ram Cares lady......

The ALL NEW rear view mirror! ;)

At the flip of a switch your rear view mirror turns into a small LCD screen that displays what’s behind you in a live format. If you‘ve got some really tall relatives or friends that like to sit in the middle of the rear seat, this mirror is for you. It’s got some handy adjustments so that your camera is at the horizontal level and brightness you prefer. My initial impression was that it’s absolutely wonderful. But let’s talk about our vision for a minute. Light travels from an object and moves through the cornea which bends it, then our lenses accommodate and really bend it so that you get a nice, focused image onto your retina and then it’s off to the brain for interpretation. What I’ve never really thought about was the muscle memory involved with looking into the rear view mirror. What I mean is, you aren’t looking “at” your rear view mirror, you are looking “through” the rear view mirror to a distant object which requires your lens to relax and be the most comfortable. If you aren’t into your mid 40’s yet, just wait and you’ll see what I’m talking about. You start to lose your accommodation capability and you’ll do funny things with your neck or start holding things at an arm’s length to read some small writing. Our lens is more relaxed the farther an image is from us which means comfy. So I’m now aware that when I begin to look at my rear view mirror, I must automatically tell my lenses to begin relaxing and when they arrive at the LCD screen….. no image, bizarre blurry sensation and my eyes then hustle to adjust to see something up close. This all happens in a fraction of a second but it’s just weird and will take effort to retrain my unconscious mind to NOT look through the mirror after thirty years of doing so. The LCD display mirror and camera combination show a bright, clear image right behind the truck. I get the impression that even in low light weather situations, you’d still get a nice crisp image. But if you want to look at something far away, you can’t adjust your eyes because it’s a flat LCD screen and the image is out of the focal range of the camera so it’s blurry. The further back you want to see, the blurrier the image. In summary….. Could I learn to only look at my immediate surroundings behind the truck? Yes. Would I eventually stop trying to look “through” the rear view mirror? Probably. Is this a feature that I will use? No.

Let the "wrastling" match begin!

I zoned out after the first thirty minutes or so when the nice man was telling me the features of the truck. I just kept asking if this was the 700hp model and I think he got the point. If I would have paid attention, I would have realized why the truck wanted to wrestle during my blinkerless lane changes. This must be the LaneSense® Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist for those unintentional (or intentional) lane drifts. It's pretty cool how it guides the truck back into the lane. You can set the strength of the correction or turn the entire system off if you choose. With the Adaptive Cruise Control keeping you at a specific distance from other cars AND the lane "wrastler," this is actually a very safe vehicle. Of course I had to REALLY test it on the ride home where a nasty north wind was blowing everyone around. I set the cruise at 80 and let go of the steering wheel just to see how well it did and it was interesting. The systems are dialed in to following the rules put into their programming and don't give two squirts about fuel economy. If a big rig exited the freeway at 50 mph and was no longer bouncing the signal back, the truck used almost all 700 hp to get you back to 80. It was comical at times. The engine is JUST SO POWERFUL. It did keep me safely away from other cars but the lane wrastler let's you almost cross the line before it corrects you back toward the center. That means you just bounce off an imaginary wall every ten seconds or so as it keeps you in the lane and the driver is too busy NOT driving. Verdict - works just like it's supposed to. These are very handy features and not at all why I bought the truck but A+ on the tech Ram.

If I didn't say it last time I'll say it now. This truck is AWESOME; The sights, the sounds, the smells..... Just awesome.

Just my .02,

Jackson

P.S. I do think I remember the delivery guy saying something about a computer chip depletion and that newer TRXs won't have all of the gadgetry that is coming on these early ones. Or maybe that you need to buy each module separately. Like I said..... I had zoned out. ;)

I agree, the rear view mirror camera is odd. When I was first going over the truck I was like "oh that's cool". Then I drove it for the first time and I was like "This is freaking me out, I gotta go back to normal mirror". I tried it once again the other day and still the same verdict. Not something I will ever use.

Funny about the lane keep assist, but even more funny about the cruise control using all 700HP to get you back to 80mph. I guess you better be holding on to the steering wheel when that happens!

Mosconi makes great sound processing stuff. They let you hook up your laptop and fine tune everything. Way more detail than I have patience for, but my install guys will spend hours tweaking things to sound just right.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back