Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2018 Trackhawk
Current Ride #2
2014 Z28
Military
USAF - VET
Has anyone considered undercoating? My old (sold it) Ram 2500 rusted terrible underneath, it had a 4 inch lift and I was tired of looking at the rust all the rust every time I walked up to it.

IMG_3226.JPG

Does PA use salt on the roads in the winter?

Does PA use salt on the roads in the winter?
Salt, gravel mix it's terrible! My 2012 rusted in the first year (never the body panels just the frame, springs etc) I hope to keep the TRX longer than my 2500

Salt, gravel mix it's terrible! My 2012 rusted in the first year (never the body panels just the frame, springs etc) I hope to keep the TRX longer than my 2500
He's right. I'm not far away and the sand mix gets into everything. PA also uses brine which is extremely corrosive.

Hey Don, 2 places I would check into. This summer, we had a Tacoma TRD Pro done at Elliots in Butler. He was very thorough and careful, doesn't drill any holes. They take things apart to coat. It's a father and son so no monkey messing with your new truck. His waiting list is usually several months long. He doesn't have a website but here is a link to his info.

There is also Schmidt's Rustproofing. He's maybe a mile north of 228 on rt8. No experience with him but hear he is good. He uses NH oil products. Elliot uses his own mixture based on our area.

Both are kinda oily, waxy. The stuff that hardens will eventually crack and allow that brine to creep in and rust away at everything. Just depends on your plans with the truck. Elliot somewhat protected our Fox shocks from overspray the best that he could. I would chose either over fluid film which I have on my truck. Any rubber that it touched swelled contrary to what they tell you. Did my doors and the seals got all warped and wavy.

Thanks I'll look into it. I can't imagine ever taking it off road but it will be my winter vehicle.

Has anyone considered undercoating? My old (sold it) Ram 2500 rusted terrible underneath, it had a 4 inch lift and I was tired of looking at the rust all the rust every time I walked up to it.

View attachment 2650
Once a month from december through march I wash my daily driver including the underside then roll under it on a creeper and fog the crap out of everything except the brake rotors with WD40. With all my years driving in the midwest winters I've never had any surface rust let alone had a frame or anything rust through with this method. It takes a couple minutes and isn't the cleanest process but is a hell of a lot cheaper than a supposed "lifetime" undercoating that is bound to fail at some point or another.

Once a month from december through march I wash my daily driver including the underside then roll under it on a creeper and fog the crap out of everything except the brake rotors with WD40. With all my years driving in the midwest winters I've never had any surface rust let alone had a frame or anything rust through with this method. It takes a couple minutes and isn't the cleanest process but is a hell of a lot cheaper than a supposed "lifetime" undercoating that is bound to fail at some point or another.
I live in salt country between Nov/Dec to March, and of the 6 vehicles I've owned in the past 20 years, now 7th with the TRX, I have never undercoated, simply because I perform all the maintenance on my vehicles, therefore, I like being able to get under my vehicle, do what I have to do, inspect everything without any visual impairment due to layers of oil,grease, etc., and still come out from under the vehicle looking clean. For those of you that work on their vehicles, you know what I'm talking about.

With that said, I've also never had rust issues (a little bit of surface rust due to paint chips on the frame, etc., but that's all) because I often wash the undercarriage during the winter months. On average, I'll wash my vehicle twice per week. Sometimes I'll go through the touchless wash, other days I'll go to the self serve and power wash the frame. It entails more time spent cleaning, but you appreciate it when you can work on a clean vehicle. Besides, undercoat looks like $shit IMO.

The RAM dealer offered to sell me their rust inhibitor package (wax type product?) for the TRX. No thanks!

@Brad1331 You said you FOG with WD40. Can you elaborate? Thx

Thanks I'll look into it. I can't imagine ever taking it off road but it will be my winter vehicle.
Good idea on undercoat. I am in oregon and they salt the roads. I also plan to offroad it like crazy

This guy puts a lot of popular ones to the test, very good vid

W

Which is best?
CRC, I have also had great luck with it! The only downside is you have to do 2 coats, the final curing time is 12 hrs, but then even a pressure washer won't remove it, very good! Marine Grade!

I live in salt country between Nov/Dec to March, and of the 6 vehicles I've owned in the past 20 years, now 7th with the TRX, I have never undercoated, simply because I perform all the maintenance on my vehicles, therefore, I like being able to get under my vehicle, do what I have to do, inspect everything without any visual impairment due to layers of oil,grease, etc., and still come out from under the vehicle looking clean. For those of you that work on their vehicles, you know what I'm talking about.

With that said, I've also never had rust issues (a little bit of surface rust due to paint chips on the frame, etc., but that's all) because I often wash the undercarriage during the winter months. On average, I'll wash my vehicle twice per week. Sometimes I'll go through the touchless wash, other days I'll go to the self serve and power wash the frame. It entails more time spent cleaning, but you appreciate it when you can work on a clean vehicle. Besides, undercoat looks like $shit IMO.

The RAM dealer offered to sell me their rust inhibitor package (wax type product?) for the TRX. No thanks!

@Brad1331 You said you FOG with WD40. Can you elaborate? Thx

Thats the can I use on WD40s website I buy it by the case off amazon its cheaper. I literally just roll under the vehicle on a creeper with some goggles on and spray everything down except the brake rotors it only takes a minute or so

I live in NJ and was looking to do an undercoating on my TRX. However, one question I must ask has to do with warranty. Will an undercoat void any warranties on the TRX?

I live in NJ and was looking to do an undercoating on my TRX. However, one question I must ask has to do with warranty. Will an undercoat void any warranties on the TRX?
Not sure how undercoating could somehow void your warranty. Best place to ask would be your local dealer that services your vehicle.

I used fluid film and also had companies undercoat.

Then I used crc6026 and never used anything else. That stuff didn’t drip and held for years. If you can do two coats back to back, even better.

Project Farm (this video) is super duper at testing products. 2 million + subscribers I think.

Problem with a hard coating, it will crack and then HOLD salt and moisture.
Oils/Waxes attract/hold stuff that in turn holds moisture. Plus the underside or whatever is sticky.

There is no great option.

My brain tells me the best would be frequent washing.

If they shoot that black rubberized coating all over the connectors and bolts under there, they won’t enjoy working on it that’s for sure. What’s worse, it can trap moisture under the coating and actually accelerate rust. Consider an oil or wax based coating and not a traditional undercoat.

Not sure how undercoating could somehow void your warranty. Best place to ask would be your local dealer that services your vehicle.
I can't comment specific to the TRX, but I have heard of warranty issues and undercoating.
I.e., Thick undercoating products can potentially plug the door panel drains/offices leading to possible water entrapment within the door panels, thus resulting in long-term corrosion.

I've never undercated, so, I can neither deny or confirm.

Last edited:
Back