TRX skid plates and access

rdwestbrook

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2011 Ram 1500
Does anyone else remember when the 1st Gen Raptors came out and there was a huge uproar because people discovered that they could change the oil. The skid plate covered the oil pan and the filter.

Do we think there's a chance

Does anyone else remember when the 1st Gen Raptors came out and there was a huge uproar because people discovered that they could change the oil. The skid plate covered the oil pan and the filter.

Do we think there's a chance
Unless the SVT was special on my brother in laws 2010 SVT Raptor there was an access panel in the skid plate that had a couple T40 bolts in it you just took off to access the drain plug in the oil pan. It was actually much easier than some of these German cars that have giant plastic covers that have to be completely removed to access the drain plug. I would assume the TRX being purposed for off road that the front skid plate will protect and cover the whole oil pan and there would be a similar access panel for oil changes.

I hope so. I'm looking at these from the viability of it being owned long term. Things like that need to be addressed or may have to wait for a 2nd gen

I'm just hoping it's in a better location then the 2020 1500 Hemi. Sits right above the front axle and makes a mess when you go to remove it.

I'm just hoping it's in a better location then the 2020 1500 Hemi. Sits right above the front axle and makes a mess when you go to remove it.
Another Demon guy. What number is yours?

Another Demon guy. What number is yours?
IMG_2049 (2).jpeg

I hope so. I'm looking at these from the viability of it being owned long term. Things like that need to be addressed or may have to wait for a 2nd gen
The thing that might actually be a real concern is if you are wanting to drain the oil out of the oil cooler if the set up is similar to the Trackhawk in order to get to the oil cooler drain on a trackhawk you either have to cut a hole in the plastic (plenty of people on the internet forums actually do this) or take the entire front bumper off every time you do an oil change which dealers charge around $250-$300 in labor on top of the oil change to do... I could see this being a similar problem with the TRX as the engine compartment is similarly sized to the SUV and even more of a pain because of the skid plate being involved as the trackhawk has been around for 3 model years and they still haven't changed the design. Then it comes down to do you really need to drain out the quart or less that remains in the oil cooler every time you do an oil change, if you consult the manual on a trackhawk they say yes every 5k miles but the argument of just changing the oil every 3k miles instead of every 5-7k and leaving the little bit of oil in the oil cooler will be enough dilution to not cause any problems might be easier and cheaper in the long run than removing the entire bumper for every oil change.

This might be putting the cart before the horse but clearly it is a known issue on the jeep and mopar hasn't addressed it in 3 years so why would we think this will be any different.

The thing that might actually be a real concern is if you are wanting to drain the oil out of the oil cooler if the set up is similar to the Trackhawk in order to get to the oil cooler drain on a trackhawk you either have to cut a hole in the plastic (plenty of people on the internet forums actually do this) or take the entire front bumper off every time you do an oil change which dealers charge around $250-$300 in labor on top of the oil change to do... I could see this being a similar problem with the TRX as the engine compartment is similarly sized to the SUV and even more of a pain because of the skid plate being involved as the trackhawk has been around for 3 model years and they still haven't changed the design. Then it comes down to do you really need to drain out the quart or less that remains in the oil cooler every time you do an oil change, if you consult the manual on a trackhawk they say yes every 5k miles but the argument of just changing the oil every 3k miles instead of every 5-7k and leaving the little bit of oil in the oil cooler will be enough dilution to not cause any problems might be easier and cheaper in the long run than removing the entire bumper for every oil change.

This might be putting the cart before the horse but clearly it is a known issue on the jeep and mopar hasn't addressed it in 3 years so why would we think this will be any different.
Calling BS on the 5k interval, its 6k on hellcat engines. Yes it does suck changing oil out of the oil cooler on challengers, can't speak to the jeep, but taking the bumper off? Really? :rolleyes: :unsure: The challenger is some plastic guarding but a lot of fasteners and does blow.

Calling BS on the 5k interval, its 6k on hellcat engines. Yes it does suck changing oil out of the oil cooler on challengers, can't speak to the jeep, but taking the bumper off? Really? :rolleyes: :unsure: The challenger is some plastic guarding but a lot of fasteners and does blow.
Do a quick search of "Trackhawk oil cooler drain" you will be inundated with people who either cut their bumper or are talking about how much dealers are charging in labor to remove and replace the front bumper for oil changes....and being nit picky about 5k vs 6k whatever my point is if you do it more frequently the old addage of "dilution is the solution to pollution" comes in to play.....

Side note F8 you seem to be very confrontational toward the people posting on here, say what you want about me I have thick skin and could care less as facts dont care about your feelings and neither do I but I and others seem to be noticing a pattern and the vibe of this forum for the most part seems to not want that

Do a quick search of "Trackhawk oil cooler drain" you will be inundated with people who either cut their bumper or are talking about how much dealers are charging in labor to remove and replace the front bumper for oil changes....and being nit picky about 5k vs 6k whatever my point is if you do it more frequently the old addage of "dilution is the solution to pollution" comes in to play.....

Side note F8 you seem to be very confrontational toward the people posting on here, say what you want about me I have thick skin and could care less as facts dont care about your feelings and neither do I but I and others seem to be noticing a pattern and the vibe of this forum for the most part seems to not want that
Dude, 1000 miles is a lot, and yes you speak to it as fact, even telling people that's what the manual says. It doesn't! I come here for info as do others. I actually did just look it up as it sounded so rediculous that a procedure would call for removing a bumper, and I was right, it doesn't! Yup, people are cutting some holes in the plastic guarding I was referring to, NOT the bumper!! You cant make this stuff up, well I guess you can as you just did!

Dude, 1000 miles is a lot, and yes you speak to it as fact, even telling people that's what the manual says. It doesn't! I come here for info as do others. I actually did just look it up as it sounded so rediculous that a procedure would call for removing a bumper, and I was right, it doesn't! Yup, people are cutting some holes in the plastic guarding I was referring to, NOT the bumper!! You cant make this stuff up, well I guess you can as you just did!

That is just one of many forums with trackhawk owners complaining/talking about with pictures of having to remove the bumper to drain the oil out of the oil cooler.....the manual doesn't say anything about specifics of how often to change or the specific procedures for changing the oil it instead on page 294 says "Refer to the warranty and maintenance handbook" that comes with the specific trim level as the manual covers all the engine options which are vastly different and in that for the trackhawk specific trim it talks about removing the front bumper to drain the oil out of the oil cooler.

You are no doubt being very confrontational bordering on being an "internet troll" which can be fun and if that is your thing more power to you troll away like I said before I've got thick skin and can take it

That is just one of many forums with trackhawk owners complaining/talking about with pictures of having to remove the bumper to drain the oil out of the oil cooler.....the manual doesn't say anything about specifics of how often to change or the specific procedures for changing the oil it instead on page 294 says "Refer to the warranty and maintenance handbook" that comes with the specific trim level as the manual covers all the engine options which are vastly different and in that for the trackhawk specific trim it talks about removing the front bumper to drain the oil out of the oil cooler.

You are no doubt being very confrontational bordering on being an "internet troll" which can be fun and if that is your thing more power to you troll away like I said before I've got thick skin and can take it
Sooo, your highlighting yourself being wrong? Wait a minute, I thought if you consult the manual it says every 5k, but now it doesn't tell you, but up above it does tell you? Thanks for posting the verbiage on the 6k and that in the back is the maintenance schedule, where it says every 6k unless extreme conditions.
As far as your thread, not one person says bumper. The procedure is to remove the belly pan and some facia, like I said. Your solution to change oil twice as often, or pay a dealer that much, is, well, not very bright.
I have only been confrontational with 2 people, because of posts like this, the rest have been helpful, or friendly, or sharing in excitement or praising others.
Your really sticking with the removing the bumper story!!?? You have thick skin but can't admit how rediculous it sounds to remove a bumper? Here is a hint also, don't believe everything you hear and spit it back out as fact and try to act smart, that's what trolls do.

Last edited:

There is a video with a trackhawk owner that states in the first 2 minutes "from the factory to drain the oil cooler you have to take the front bumper off" if you have trouble scrolling down in a forum or reading all the big words in the posts like "bumper, remove, cut a hole" you can have a moving picture with sounds to help you out

It is probably possible with just removing a few trim clips and bending and getting small little girl hands to do it without completely removing the bumper but if you take a trackhawk to the dealer and ask them to drain the oil out of the oil cooler with your oil change they will take off the entire front bumper because that is the "correct way" to do it from mopar

TROLL ON YOU BEAUTIFUL TROLL

There is a video with a trackhawk owner that states in the first 2 minutes "from the factory to drain the oil cooler you have to take the front bumper off" if you have trouble scrolling down in a forum or reading all the big words in the posts like "bumper, remove, cut a hole" you can have a moving picture with sounds to help you out

It is probably possible with just removing a few trim clips and bending and getting small little girl hands to do it without completely removing the bumper but if you take a trackhawk to the dealer and ask them to drain the oil out of the oil cooler with your oil change they will take off the entire front bumper because that is the "correct way" to do it from mopar

TROLL ON YOU BEAUTIFUL TROLL
So then that's fact then right? A you tube video? Oh man, I just figured it out, you don't know what a bumper is!! Very sad.

I know it doesn't compete with a you tube video with a guy in a garage, but here is the procedure.

Attachments

• 1634-8d0d97d12c035783dcb7ef224de5034c.jpg
    1634-8d0d97d12c035783dcb7ef224de5034c.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1642-a05ed2ff4c4b4a123a361bef3079e94b.jpg
    1642-a05ed2ff4c4b4a123a361bef3079e94b.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 1650-9c4901b9d784ac66d328fdb560d764b6.jpg
    1650-9c4901b9d784ac66d328fdb560d764b6.jpg
    916 bytes · Views: 38
You are a perfect troll I congratulate you, your goal is clearly to get into petty arguments and constantly switch the goal posts from "nowhere does it say anything about removing the bumper" to "that video with the owner of the vehicle that I have never turned a wrench on isn't credible".

I can either provide source after source on here for you to shoot down for whatever troll reason you can come up with or others like the OP who have real concerns about what might be a problem with the first gen TRXs can type the same search into google I can (Trackhawk Oil Cooler Drain Procedure) that pulls up page after page on youtube or google of trackhawk owners "complaining" or offering solutions to draining the oil cooler without having to take off the front bumper but all of their fixes that I have seen say the best way is to cut a hole in the plastic and make a cover....

The bottom line is there is a chance the TRX will have a similar problem as it is much closer in size and engine compartment shape to the jeep than the challenger or charger and everyone except the Trolls can decide for themselves whether they want to order one sight unseen or wait for the inevitable bugs of first gen vehicles to be worked out first, or at least discovered for sure and make an informed decision.

Back