Nitro

Administrator
🛠️ Staff member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
'23 TRX
ram-trx-goodyear-territory-tires.png

The RAM 1500 TRX will come stock with a brand new tire from Goodyear called the Territory tire. How will this compare to the BFG KO2s or the Toyo Open Country AT3?

I completely agree with Terry. I will most likely change them sooner than recommended. Dare I mention the Goodyear boycott?

In all honesty I was happy with the last set of Goodyears I had. They were great in Wyoming. No tire is right for all 50 states however.

Seems the TRX is governed at 118MPH due to the tires speed rating. I would be interested in the same size, or slightly larger tire with a higher speed rating. No sure how high a rating you can get from this type of thick, heavy, knobby 18/35's. It would be cool to see how fast this truck could go if unrestrained.

Attachments

• 611C41BE-2F7B-4763-BA64-48C8F2B7B6CF.jpeg
    611C41BE-2F7B-4763-BA64-48C8F2B7B6CF.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 19
Not sure how these tires will perform but I've never been a fan of Goodyear in general. Tried a couple sets, one set on a car and some Duratrac's on my old truck. Unimpressed with the Duratrac especially. Definitely prefer Nitto/Toyo but I've been really impressed by Falken's AT3W.

Ridge Grapplers speed rated to 99mph...

No tire in this size will meet or beat the 118 of the new Goodyear

While true I wouldn't worry a ton about the speed rating unless you plan to maintain a speed is or is around 118. I have had plenty of tires above their listed speed rating without issue. Especially back in the day drag racing on a budget. T rated tires with slicks lol. So I guess it just depends on your intentions.

While true I wouldn't worry a ton about the speed rating unless you plan to maintain a speed is or is around 118. I have had plenty of tires above their listed speed rating without issue. Especially back in the day drag racing on a budget. T rated tires with slicks lol. So I guess it just depends on your intentions.

I like to drive fast, and drive fast often. Looks like I am married to OEM... I’m sure they will be great.

I like to drive fast, and drive fast often. Looks like I am married to OEM... I’m sure they will be great.
Honestly above 100 mph on such a tall large truck, you would need another set of "ON ROAD" tires, maybe a set of Pirelli Scorpions like on the Jeep Trackhawk for those days you need to be the fastest kid on the block : )

My truck is never going that fast hahaha

And that speed rating is at max load too... so unless you are doing the ton with a bed full of sand for 45 minutes you will be fine Hahaha

My truck is never going that fast hahaha

And that speed rating is at max load too... so unless you are doing the ton with a bed full of sand for 45 minutes you will be fine Hahaha

True about the load. They test the tires in 10 min increments and I can't think of a location where I could maintain 118 for ten minutes. I guess I80 East of Reno NV has some long straights but 10 minutes in triple digits might end in an arrest.

Honestly above 100 mph on such a tall large truck, you would need another set of "ON ROAD" tires, maybe a set of Pirelli Scorpions like on the Jeep Trackhawk for those days you need to be the fastest kid on the block : )

That's what I'm thinking, a smaller profile tire and a tune to get above 118.

OEM Tire on my F250 were Wranglers. Decent tire. Quiet for an off-road oriented tread. However, the truck has an open diff (can lock the rear diff but no LSD) and the wet traction was awful. After about 25K even the dry traction was bad during turns. Now have BFG T/A's, and they're OK. Much better traction but they have been tough to keep balanced. I've had to get them balanced 2x in 10K miles. Never had to re-balance the Wranglers.

I think that this discussion is just a bunch of talk unless we also describe our driving conditions. For example, some of us never seen snow or ice, others will rarely see dirt, some will see lots of rocks and other more high speed off-road. Unfortunately, most will only see city and highway.
if you want higher speed rating and off-road capabilities then you are going to need to get Baja Racing tires. Those are super pricey. Otherwise, this GY tire is your best bet.

I think that this discussion is just a bunch of talk unless we also describe our driving conditions. For example, some of us never seen snow or ice, others will rarely see dirt, some will see lots of rocks and other more high speed off-road. Unfortunately, most will only see city and highway.
if you want higher speed rating and off-road capabilities then you are going to need to get Baja Racing tires. Those are super pricey. Otherwise, this GY tire is your best bet.
That can be a never ending discussion!!😆

The plan I have settled on is to get a slightly smaller narrower set of street wheels and tires for 3 season daily driving with a tune to take off the top speed governor and correct the speedo and use the OEM set up for winter and off road trips. While I agree that this truck on "normal" highway truck tires won't look nearly as good I am going to do it for 3 reasons:

1. I like to go fast and frequently find myself hitting the 107 limiter in my current truck on the highways in the chicagoland area and getting passed by other speed freaks on the road.

2. While I don't particularly care about gas mileage if I swap out a wheel and tire package that weighs 104 pounds each for one that weighs 60-70 pounds each it will greatly improve gas mileage for when I am cruising with my family in the truck or stuck in traffic at slower speeds and it will slightly increase my acceleration at stop lights which I won't complain about.

3. For me there is never a spur of the moment decision to go off roading, it is always a planned day or weekend trip and taking an extra hour to swap out tires isn't a big deal in my book.

I'm going to to wait until I get the truck (in march or so my email says) so I can get some slightly narrower 32s thinking about going with:

On a lightweight forged wheel that comes in the bolt pattern and offset I need to get the wheel in the same plane as the OEM wheels.

I'm hoping with it being a sport truck summer tire the reduced width will be made up for with extra traction so I don't find myself spinning from a stop on dry roads

Back