Trailer kit tpms sensors too long!?

Dgreen

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
87 Yugo
I took my cargo trailer wheels to a local tire shop to install my tpms sensors (supplied with truck) and was told they are too long. Is there another kit that can be used or am I stuck with these sticking out 2” ?
0CEE0183-7C02-4278-B8B3-C8E60A023D58.jpeg

B569C48A-8B06-4266-9569-BFD147C37721.jpeg

Last edited:

Two

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Unscrew the sensor from the valve stem and put it on a shorter valve stem of your choice.

PotterTRX

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
TYLER
Current Ride
Garage full
Mine are a lot longer than I would like but don't stick out past the tire's edge, not sure at this point what direct fit stem replacement options we have yet for the sensors.

DanZman

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Dan
Current Ride
Sierra Denali
Back when TPMS was a new technology we had to get creative when putting the sensors in aftermarket wheels. A lot of people found success with using those huge zip ties that AC contractors use. Others would get really long pipe clamps and just go all the way around the barrel of the wheel.

it looks like someone actually makes a product just for it now.

Two

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Mine are a lot longer than I would like but don't stick out past the tire's edge, not sure at this point what direct fit stem replacement options we have yet for the sensors.
As long as you don't use a valve stem from before '14 (I think that's when the seating area for the sensors changed) you can pick just about any Mopar valve stem you like, steel or rubber, as long as it matches the hole size in the rim.

Actually, it most likely doesn't even have to be for a Mopar application as the sensors are somewhat universal.

OP
Dgreen

Dgreen

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
87 Yugo
I was thinking any aftermarket might work as long as it’s the same frequency but I am worried the ones from Ram are long range sensors seeing how they will be further away from the truck?

I talked to one tire shop and they seemed to think the long stem acts like an antenna and was necessary for the range.

Last edited:

Two

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Hang on to the sensors, since you know they'll work, and just install them on valve stems of your choice.

OP
Dgreen

Dgreen

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
87 Yugo
Hang on to the sensors, since you know they'll work, and just install them on valve stems of your choice.
They are a one piece unit. You can’t swap out the stems on these.

Two

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Ah, sorry. I never looked closely at what's in the bag we got. Now I will.

DanZman

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Dan
Current Ride
Sierra Denali
Just use the product that I linked above.

Two

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Alright, those things are definitely the kind I'm used to.
Anyway, looks like they come apart by removing the cap, then the sleeve that holds then in place when installed, and finally the "washer" with the rubber seal below the sleeve.

Of course, I don't know how many other variants of that kind of valve stem there are, if any. You may want to check with your dealer, or any of the online Mopar stores.
It would be a bit odd if they only exist for this trailer application, even though the swivel function wouldn't be needed in a regular OE application.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com