Tinny Bubbles in my expensive TRX hood decal?

CC1999

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram 2500 CTD / Tundra / Land Cruiser
I am wondering if there is an easy fix I can do myself on this or do I have to take it to the dealer.
I suspect if the dealer does anything, they will just order a new decal then I will have to worry about them scratching the truck taking off the old one, and who knows if they can get the new one on straight and without more air bubbles then I have now.
Wondering if anyone else has had this issues and what you all thoughts are on best way to fix it.
TRX Hood bubbles pic 1.jpg
TRX Hood bubbles pic 2.jpg

DanZman

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Dan
Current Ride
Sierra Denali
You could take it to a vinyl wrap shop and see if they can get them out. But honestly you are probably on the hook for a trip to the dealer and like you said... good luck.

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
Probably a trip to the dealer because if it gets messed up trying to fix it, dealer may give you a hard time under warranty.

If you do want to try fixing it, you could wait for a hot and sunny day where the hood and vinyl is heated up and try to massage the bubbles to the edge gently. You can use a spray bottle to spray waters over the area and use a thin microfiber cloth wrapped on a credit card and try to gently push the bubble outwards but odds are, the vinyl will crease. The big bubble is close enough to the edge where it might work but the others are so small and so far in that the would crease unless you moved super super slow and let the air pressure lift the vinyl as you nudge the bubble to the edge.

A vinyl shop or a wrap shop may be able to poke a pin sized needle hole in the vinyl and let the air out but press it back into place or shrink it down but probably easier to just make the dealer do it under warranty.

FlameTRXboss22

TRX Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is an easy fix I can do myself on this or do I have to take it to the dealer.
I suspect if the dealer does anything, they will just order a new decal then I will have to worry about them scratching the truck taking off the old one, and who knows if they can get the new one on straight and without more air bubbles then I have now.
Wondering if anyone else has had this issues and what you all thoughts are on best way to fix it.
View attachment 15008View attachment 15009
I would
Be pissed if mine came like that especially for the price on those options damn😖 I would go back to dealer for sure and hope for the best. Good luck 🍀 I’ll be hoping mine dont come like that 🤨

OP
CC1999

CC1999

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram 2500 CTD / Tundra / Land Cruiser
I would
Be pissed if mine came like that especially for the price on those options damn😖 I would go back to dealer for sure and hope for the best. Good luck 🍀 I’ll be hoping mine dont come like that 🤨
Yea, it's not good.
I noticed it a couple weeks ago, just been to afraid to take it in that they could really screw it up.
Currently there are still 3 or 4 all just cosmetic parts already on order just from the PDI mechanics original PDI list of cosmetic flaws.
Some of them came in bunt not one was what he ordered. apparently there are a lot of parts exclusive to the TRX and some don't even have part number for them yet.
Taking it back to the dealer even though they are a good dealership and I really happy that my TRX always gets the same Tech, a tech whom actually is also a TRX owner.
Which is really a rarity and a good deal for piece of mind, because he is one of the few people that I know and have spoke with first hand that knows as much or more about these trucks then I do. I don't think he is a body guy, so I am not sure this issue will be something he can help me with.

HeliPilot

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Military
USAF
Tiny pin prick to release the air pocket. If the bubbles are too big, the vinyl will wrinkle once the air is released. Dealer will probably attempt that first, prior to replacing.

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L v8 4x4
Military
Vet Air Force
Ack! You made me go look! It is getting dark here but does not look like we have any bubbles.

• Haha
Reactions: ceb

HeliPilot

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Military
USAF
I wouldn’t hold a wand with 25psi near the edge. But they withstand normal washing

Reactions: ceb

1OF1ACR

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
Viper ACR
Probably a trip to the dealer because if it gets messed up trying to fix it, dealer may give you a hard time under warranty.

If you do want to try fixing it, you could wait for a hot and sunny day where the hood and vinyl is heated up and try to massage the bubbles to the edge gently. You can use a spray bottle to spray waters over the area and use a thin microfiber cloth wrapped on a credit card and try to gently push the bubble outwards but odds are, the vinyl will crease. The big bubble is close enough to the edge where it might work but the others are so small and so far in that the would crease unless you moved super super slow and let the air pressure lift the vinyl as you nudge the bubble to the edge.

A vinyl shop or a wrap shop may be able to poke a pin sized needle hole in the vinyl and let the air out but press it back into place or shrink it down but probably easier to just make the dealer do it under warranty.
You sound like you've done this before. I would caution, have a wrap guy do this. You can easily damage it if you try both methods. The edge of the vinyl HAS to be lifted and without stretching the material. And the pin poke trick WILL leave a mar in the vinyl. The decal has been there for too long and the adhesive will not allow the bubbles to move to the edge and it will crease.

Definitely take it to the dealership first to cover it under warranty. Then go to your own wrap guy to have it corrected. The dealerships try to do these wraps themselves and it becomes a cluster F.

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
You sound like you've done this before. I would caution, have a wrap guy do this. You can easily damage it if you try both methods. The edge of the vinyl HAS to be lifted and without stretching the material. And the pin poke trick WILL leave a mar in the vinyl. The decal has been there for too long and the adhesive will not allow the bubbles to move to the edge and it will crease.

Definitely take it to the dealership first to cover it under warranty. Then go to your own wrap guy to have it corrected. The dealerships try to do these wraps themselves and it becomes a cluster F.
I have done it before but like I said in the original post, odds are it will crease. The small bubbles are too far away from the edge but the big one is closer. Since its under warranty, best to have dealer replace the whole decal.

A wrap shop would do the same thing where they would break up the bubbles and then work them apart and heat it down. Or they would pin hole the air out and press it down. I've had to do something similar but not to a 1k+ decal lol.

BusaDave

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Name
Dave
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 M
How durable are these decals? Will they withstand pressure washes, hand washes etc?
The problem with decals is that after a period of time for me it was 2 years took off some "racer boy stickers" and I could see a very slight difference in the paint. Got out the polisher and did the whole truck and it pretty much went away.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com