TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Tundra Supercharged with King Off-road suspension
Current Ride #2
Husqvarna TX300i, KTM 350 XC, Yamaha YZ 125

it will be pushing the limit of the trucks tow capacity but I’m hoping it will be fine. I’ll use a load distribution hitch and hauling Dirtbikes which shouldn’t be too heavy. Any thoughts on this setup?

I think if you have weight in the back of the toyhauler you should be ok. It would also depend how much gear you are hauling in the bed and in the truck.

Just be careful. My boat is at the upper limit of my raptor tow rating and when I pile my whole family in the truck and all our stuff it’s a little squirrelly. Thankfully the Trx tow rating is 100lb more!

Looks sharp man, I am really liking the GrandDesign trailers. (y) I believe that is what we will be trading for. Tongue weight and GVWR is over the "LIMITS" here, but with that aside. They don't specifically state if that is a dry hitch weight or not, (most are) If you boondock and will leave home with toys and all the tanks filled that may go even higher. My current TH has a published dry hitch weight of 1295lb (11950 GVWR) but it can climb pretty drastically from that if I have a few light toys in the back and fill all the tanks (fresh water, propane, generator fuel tank, fueling station fuel tank etc) for a trip where we wont have hookups. Another thing that isn't mentioned typically is that the published hitch weight doesn't include a lot of options. I optioned in the gas generator and that alone took tongue weight up another 100+ pounds because it is located right near the front of my TH. A lot of this depends on where the tanks are located on the trailer as well but something to think about. If there is a model close to you that has the options you want you may want to go look at the sticker of that specific build.

After having my current toyhauler for a few years I really like the idea of the sliding glass door to separate the garage from the rest the living quarters (smelly/dirty toys, and sleeping in the front during the transit) but there are some big trade offs for having it for me due to the smaller garage size and almost any of my toys need more than a 10' garage.

I am still struggling to find a smaller TH to trade mine for that the TRX can pull comfortably and still fits the toys. I'm going to set my current TH on the hitch in a couple weeks when the TRX arrives and just see how bad the squat is, what the towing setting does for the suspension exactly (assuming it is purely dampening and has no effect on the weight/squat at all), and then see how much adjustment I have to make on my WDH to get it back to level. I'm hoping that helps me narrow in on the options I have to choose from.

May just have to concede and only camp with dirt bikes from now on. The things you will give up for a supercharger?!?!(y)

look....the only thing the TRX is missing is an air bag kit.

hell, even the inside the coil spring ones work. Truth is, if your willing, have airbags fabbed up and installed. Who has a TRX and will take some better pictures for This? As i see it, there is a nice chunk of frame rail with clearance to the axles...just not sure about both sides..

It has the power, it has enough weight with the AWD, if your smart. I dont doubt you can far exceed the tow rating very comfortably with weight distribution hitches, but legality is another question.

But what are we talking about here guys? This is not the truck, nor was my PW, to tow 30+foot toyhaulers(what i want, and what you need for real toys and capacities)
Just because it can, doesnt mean you should.
If you can afford a TRX, you can afford a used reliable diesel, put on a huge Lance camper, tow your toys with a huge trailer room to spare for your TRX

hell, even the inside the coil spring ones work. Truth is, if your willing, have airbags fabbed up and installed. Who has a TRX and will take some better pictures for This? As i see it, there is a nice chunk of frame rail with clearance to the axles...just not sure about both sides..

It has the power, it has enough weight with the AWD, if your smart. I dont doubt you can far exceed the tow rating very comfortably with weight distribution hitches, but legality is another question.

But what are we talking about here guys? This is not the truck, nor was my PW, to tow 30+foot toyhaulers(what i want, and what you need for real toys and capacities)
If you can afford a TRX, you can afford a used reliable diesel, put on a huge Lance camper, tow your toys with a huge trailer room to spare for your TRX
I agree completely, but the point is to have the TRX on the trip, not sitting at home while I go play in a used diesel. That's why I am wanting to downsize the TH.

it will be pushing the limit of the trucks tow capacity but I’m hoping it will be fine. I’ll use a load distribution hitch and hauling Dirtbikes which shouldn’t be too heavy. Any thoughts on this setup?
That looks like a great setup. With a weight distribution hitch you should be within specs.

The only way to add serious tow capabilities is to get an RV trailer with steerable front axles, like those full trailers semi trucks tow in the back. There are a couple of problems.
  1. No one makes such a trailer
  2. The front steerable axle would add at least a 10K cost to the trailer
  3. It is a bear to back up
  4. Some claim it will be less stable at highway speed
Even with all of the above, if anyone made one, I would buy it as it literally takes all the weight off the tow vehicle and you are only using your tow weight allowance and not the payload.

You’ll be fine because! You are aware of your capacities and abilities. I am personally a big fan of the air bags to keep the truck level. Anyway, No better way to explore than a dirtbike, Dual sport, Enduro, Whatever you wanna call it.lol AND!! Nothing better to load the family up rip to the top of the mountain for a sunset than a TRX!

We have owned Grand Design Imagine 2800BH for several years now and absolutely love it. Don't think you can go wrong with any Grand Design trailer.

You are definitely going to be OVER the TRX payload capacity even with a heavy duty weight distribution hitch, especially by the time you get passengers inside the truck and anything else that you might carry in the truck cabin/bed.

My advice would be to make sure you get a heavy duty WDH, something rated 12k lbs or over and make sure you have the bars with chains as they will give you more quick adjustment capability of the tongue weight as you add/change whatever you decide to carry in the back of your toy hauler trailer.

Also, if you position your toys properly towards the back of the trailer and along with the WDH, you'll likely be able to reduce your tongue weight 30% or more and take some squat off the TRX.

We camp all over Colorado with our Grand Design Imagine and looking forward to see how the TRX does pulling it. Any favorite spots in Colorado you like to camp?

We have owned Grand Design Imagine 2800BH for several years now and absolutely love it. Don't think you can go wrong with any Grand Design trailer.

You are definitely going to be OVER the TRX payload capacity even with a heavy duty weight distribution hitch, especially by the time you get passengers inside the truck and anything else that you might carry in the truck cabin/bed.

My advice would be to make sure you get a heavy duty WDH, something rated 12k lbs or over and make sure you have the bars with chains as they will give you more quick adjustment capability of the tongue weight as you add/change whatever you decide to carry in the back of your toy hauler trailer.

Also, if you position your toys properly towards the back of the trailer and along with the WDH, you'll likely be able to reduce your tongue weight 30% or more and take some squat off the TRX.

We camp all over Colorado with our Grand Design Imagine and looking forward to see how the TRX does pulling it. Any favorite spots in Colorado you like to camp?
Basically, I like to camp off the beaten path but next to some water (river or lakes) so I can fish and relax some after my rides. One of my favorites is the Rio Grand valley (stoner pass from Silverton to Creede).
I also like to camp along the Taylor river outside of Almont. That’s getting crowded though.

A good Gen-Y hitch will go a long way too when you approach max towing capacity. They have one that has the 2 point swivel to help absorb some of the movement.

Last edited:

I agree.

Luckily we can pull tandem in Texas because the camper alone is 14K pounds and that's when I don't have the boat or trailer behind it. There's just no comparison to a good diesel when you need it.

Basically, I like to camp off the beaten path but next to some water (river or lakes) so I can fish and relax some after my rides. One of my favorites is the Rio Grand valley (stoner pass from Silverton to Creede).
I also like to camp along the Taylor river outside of Almont. That’s getting crowded though.
Ah... water in Colorado is limited as I'm sure you already know... :). Trade off for the mountains and beautiful dry climate I suppose.

We do a mixture of camping as we have young kids (state parks and BLM off beaten path). Rio Grand Valley is amazing! Never been around the Taylor river, but we camp along side the Colorado River all over the place as we like to be close to mountain terrain so we can rock climb and fish.

There is a Colorado thread on this forum that we are planning a trip to take the TRX trucks up to the Walden sand dunes in April/May, check it out if you're interested. Will be fun to push these trucks in baja mode and give us a place to jump the trucks that's more forgiving and safe as we all get our feet wet getting comfortable with these amazing machines.

My only word of caution would be that if you're over any of your published limits, your insurance can deny paying anything on a claim, and the other party can also use that against you, etc., as I understand it. The legal and financial risks are too high for me to even risk 1 lb over. Especially if you own a business. This article does a pretty good job of explaining it and gives first-hand advice from attorney's etc.

I agree completely, but the point is to have the TRX on the trip, not sitting at home while I go play in a used diesel. That's why I am wanting to downsize the TH.
I said the trx and your sxs or quads will all go on the trailer. Plus you can build a front cargo/rack portion for roof top tents for the kidos with solar capability and a slide out kitchen.
C042CB90-1FE9-44EA-943E-64BC90727AC3.png
This would be so unnecessary

Last edited:
I said the trx and your sxs or quads will all go on the trailer. Plus you can build a front cargo/rack portion for roof top tents for the kidos with solar capability and a slide out kitchen. View attachment 2576
These look really cool !!! Are these custom built or is there a manufacturer that builds these?

Makes me want to consider keeping my Ram 3500 and just pull everything behind it.

I said the trx and your sxs or quads will all go on the trailer. Plus you can build a front cargo/rack portion for roof top tents for the kidos with solar capability and a slide out kitchen. This would be so unnecessary

Ah yes, that makes more sense when I read it again. I have a buddy that has a home built version of a trailer like this, with a high end truck camper mounted over the gooseneck and we haul a couple jeeps or rock buggy behind that. Definitely an option.

I got just the thing for you for those trips when you want the TRX on top of your toy hauler. Dodge L1000 that's how you tow a toy hauler :cool:

Attachments

• front left.jpg
    front left.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 34
Back