Elrodd

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Military
Ex-Army
Only posting this because I am in shock mainly, and for those that might find it interesting.

I knew going in that I would be stopping often at the pump, figuring that I would get 8 mpg at best. I am only posting this because this truck amazes me on the MPGs I am seeing.

Not sure how accurate the dash tracking meter is, but at some point maybe I will track it manually. Now, this picture is my first 55-mile drive to work, roughly 12 miles of that being city with 7 or so lights, just after breaking it in over 500 miles. It has repeated this performance now 2x. I only drive to work a few days a month. Just figure I would post this for those stressing over MPG if you drive a lot of miles on your daily commute, and need to conserve where you can. So what did I do to obtain this? Snow mode, driving conservative, hitting ok to reset the meter as I departed. (it tracks your idle time and averages that over your total mileage you drive if not reset as you depart). I drove conservatively, 7mph over the limit at most, city speeds range from 25-45, with highway varying in zones 55-65. Using dynamic Cruise Control etc. Just very leisurely drive to work basically. Now in sport mode, with traction control turned on after selection, driving a little heavy-footed, some aggressive passing, 9 over the limit, that same exact trip I only avg 11.3 mpg.

Guys this so greatly exceeds my expectations. My lifted 2016 Tacoma, on 35s, with armor throughout, V6, with an Atkinson cycle engine only avg 13mpg on that same trip! Now keep in mind my TRX is on the lighter side without the sunroof, tire mount, ram bar etc. But Snow mode seems to be the way to go if you are wanting to save MPGs on a trip!

Attachments

• mpg_15_onwaytowork.jpg
    mpg_15_onwaytowork.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,239
Thanks for the tip!!
Thinking the same, I just got through experimenting with my Gen2 Raptor. Driving impatiently is 11.5 MPG. Purposely only matching traffic is 13.5
Some have premised that when under full load there is similar consumption, and some videos to confirm.
My conclusion for self, I'm more of the variable than the truck. As opposed (extreme case) the 1939 Power Wagon I learned on, which got about 6 if I remember, and that was about as fast as it would go too.
Thanks again for the investigation.

Thanks for the tip!!
Thinking the same, I just got through experimenting with my Gen2 Raptor. Driving impatiently is 11.5 MPG. Purposely only matching traffic is 13.5
Some have premised that when under full load there is similar consumption, and some videos to confirm.
My conclusion for self, I'm more of the variable than the truck. As opposed (extreme case) the 1939 Power Wagon I learned on, which got about 6 if I remember, and that was about as fast as it would go too.
Thanks again for the investigation.
My pleasure!

One thing I noticed immediately, not because I was thinking of mpg but just because of the mass of the truck, is that you can use its weight to your advantage. Once you get up to any speed, the rolling momentum is considerable and in auto mode it has very little torque induced engine braking. If you drive the truck with better anticipation of what’s ahead, you will use a lot less brake and save a lot more gas. For example, I found myself getting up to 45mph in a flat suburban street, lifted, and the truck was still going 45 by the time I got to the traffic light half a mile down the road with just one feather tap of the throttle. The reason I noticed it was because after the initial acceleration, the exhaust went completely quiet because I wasn’t on the throttle.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting anyone should drive their trx that way cause it’s not in any way fun, just noting that the less brake = better mileage dynamic is amplified on this heavy truck.

I always try to "hypermile" every rig, just to see what it's capable of. I can't keep that up very long, even though I drive conservatively most of the time. I average pretty much the same 12.5-13.5 in my Trackhawk and Power Wagon. I'm happy with that considering what I'm working with and expect the same with the TRX.

Consider this:

20210204_174911~2.jpg

My current daily driver for over three years. Powered by a 6.7 Cummins with a heavy footed driver. I Use a Fisher V-plow maybe 20 times a season. I tow an enclosed trailer (5000lbs) maybe thirty times per year. 12.1 MPG average over 67k miles.

Only posting this because I am in shock mainly, and for those that might find it interesting.

I knew going in that I would be stopping often at the pump, figuring that I would get 8 mpg at best. I am only posting this because this truck amazes me on the MPGs I am seeing.

Not sure how accurate the dash tracking meter is, but at some point maybe I will track it manually. Now, this picture is my first 55-mile drive to work, roughly 12 miles of that being city with 7 or so lights, just after breaking it in over 500 miles. It has repeated this performance now 2x. I only drive to work a few days a month. Just figure I would post this for those stressing over MPG if you drive a lot of miles on your daily commute, and need to conserve where you can. So what did I do to obtain this? Snow mode, driving conservative, hitting ok to reset the meter as I departed. (it tracks your idle time and averages that over your total mileage you drive if not reset as you depart). I drove conservatively, 7mph over the limit at most, city speeds range from 25-45, with highway varying in zones 55-65. Using dynamic Cruise Control etc. Just very leisurely drive to work basically. Now in sport mode, with traction control turned on after selection, driving a little heavy-footed, some aggressive passing, 9 over the limit, that same exact trip I only avg 11.3 mpg.

Guys this so greatly exceeds my expectations. My lifted 2016 Tacoma, on 35s, with armor throughout, V6, with an Atkinson cycle engine only avg 13mpg on that same trip! Now keep in mind my TRX is on the lighter side without the sunroof, tire mount, ram bar etc. But Snow mode seems to be the way to go if you are wanting to save MPGs on a trip!
Great information, thanks for posting, never would have guessed snow mode would increase mileage but that is great to know and a great tip for times when your not having fun and beating on it!

One thing I noticed immediately, not because I was thinking of mpg but just because of the mass of the truck, is that you can use its weight to your advantage. Once you get up to any speed, the rolling momentum is considerable and in auto mode it has very little torque induced engine braking. If you drive the truck with better anticipation of what’s ahead, you will use a lot less brake and save a lot more gas. For example, I found myself getting up to 45mph in a flat suburban street, lifted, and the truck was still going 45 by the time I got to the traffic light half a mile down the road with just one feather tap of the throttle. The reason I noticed it was because after the initial acceleration, the exhaust went completely quiet because I wasn’t on the throttle.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting anyone should drive their trx that way cause it’s not in any way fun, just noting that the less brake = better mileage dynamic is amplified on this heavy truck.
What you have described here would be true of any vehicle, yes coasting increases mileage lol.

You might need to have that looked at. Maybe your gas peddle is broken?
Hah! IKR! I have seen as low as 3.9...The more I get addicted to the power, the lower it averages lol!

What exactly does Snow Mode do that Auto Mode doesn't??

TRXmpg.png

Looks like 8 MPG is realistic for reference.

Back