Ragnarr

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 ram 1500 classic
Military
Retired Air Force
Greetings fellow money-burners,

I’m looking to research/find out if converting my 2019 Ram 1500 to a TRX has been done and to learn what you learned before I pull the trigger.

She currently has 67k miles on her 5.7 Hemi and I’m still in love. This is the third Ram I’ve had over the years, and I recently changed careers and was hired in a bodyshop (Ford #thumbsdown).

So, I’m looking for banter, judgement and general asshattery towards my past and future Ram decisions and I’ll be happy to deal out the same.

Sgt Ragnarr

Define “converting”.

Do you just want the look?

Engine swap?

Functional OEM suspension?

Are you intending to use it like a real TRX or a city TRX?

Obviously one path is much easier and realistic. The other path is a waste of Money. Just buy a used TRX.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm but the TRX is not like the Raptor(early models especially). It’s not just a bunch of bolt on factory parts. There are many big changes that are baked in from the beginning. TRX uses its own frame for starters.

Define “converting”.

Do you just want the look?

Engine swap?

Functional OEM suspension?

Are you intending to use it like a real TRX or a city TRX?

Obviously one path is much easier and realistic. The other path is a waste of Money. Just buy a used TRX.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm but the TRX is not like the Raptor(early models especially). It’s not just a bunch of bolt on factory parts. There are many big changes that are baked in from the beginning. TRX uses its own frame for starters.
Hey thanks for replying so quickly. I definitely want the look first.

I feel my 400hp Hemi is enough for what I do. I’m definitely not thinking or comparing anything I do to Ford. Problem with finding a used TRX is I’m not a doctor or a trust fund baby. What single dad that you know can afford a $1k truck payment…

A big part of this build will be to show my kids along the way.

I understand this is not a conventional thing to do, especially with a Ram Classic, but I’m hoping at least one other person out there has done it. This is why I’ve taken to forums and not just googling YouTube videos.

There's a body kit that can make it look like a TRX. I have no idea what it costs, and I don't know anything about the quality. Just something I saw a while back.

There's a body kit that can make it look like a TRX. I have no idea what it costs, and I don't know anything about the quality. Just something I saw a while back.

That’s actually exactly the one I’m looking at. The kit is $5,400 before shipping, and is something I think I could do myself, with the help of the equipment I’m privied to at work (bodyshop).

I’m certain tires will be next, but I am in the very early stages of this. I think leveling kits look like trash and I actually enjoy the height it is now. Whether it looks wonky with the TRX trim or not will be the decider.

Greetings fellow money-burners,

I’m looking to research/find out if converting my 2019 Ram 1500 to a TRX has been done and to learn what you learned before I pull the trigger.

She currently has 67k miles on her 5.7 Hemi and I’m still in love. This is the third Ram I’ve had over the years, and I recently changed careers and was hired in a bodyshop (Ford #thumbsdown).

So, I’m looking for banter, judgement and general asshattery towards my past and future Ram decisions and I’ll be happy to deal out the same.

Sgt Ragnarr
Sounds like a huge project and not worth it over trading up.

Actually that looks pretty good. I do think you would need to lift it and go to larger tires for it to look right though.

Is it even possible considering you have the 1500 classic?
Well, Forza says yes. But the company selling the kit is from China, so I’m trying to do more diligence to make sure this is the move. I think I’ll at least have to change some front end parts out like the fenders and lights to make it work.

Problem with finding a used TRX is I’m not a doctor or a trust fund baby. What single dad that you know can afford a $1k truck payment…
Plenty of us on this forum are blue collar workers, just play our money smart.

Not trying to crush the dream but like others have said spending 5K on a body kit plus the instal then whatever else you do will unfortunately be money you never see again.
Spend your money how you want, but if that’s the constraint on getting a trx then dropping 15+ thousand on a “kinda conversion” would just be money down the drain that could eventually be used to get a real TRX later in life.
If it’s money to burn then go for it, but realize you will never see a return.

Plenty of us on this forum are blue collar workers, just play our money smart.

Not trying to crush the dream but like others have said spending 5K on a body kit plus the instal then whatever else you do will unfortunately be money you never see again.
Spend your money how you want, but if that’s the constraint on getting a trx then dropping 15+ thousand on a “kinda conversion” would just be money down the drain that could eventually be used to get a real TRX later in life.
If it’s money to burn then go for it, but realize you will never see a return.
Sage advice. No shade.

I am treating this possible build as a “classic car” build. Not something I will want to get money out of later. I paid $40k for this truck. If I end up having even $60k into it by the time it is paid off and upgraded, it will still be $30k short of something I won’t ever use (supercharger/upgraded suspension etc…).

Interesting idea considering looks wasn’t the factor that drove me to purchase the TRX. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great looking truck. But the hellcat motor, wider track, suspension setup, etc are what made me switch brands from GM to Ram. The looks were just the cherry on top. Without all those goodies underneath the skin, what’s the point? I can’t see what it looks like when I’m in the driver’s seat, but I can hear and feel what it’s made of when I smash the skinny pedal! This would be the most expensive up-badging project I’ve ever seen.

Edit: Also not a “trust fund baby” or doctor here. Much lower on the totem pole actually. I’m an RN and I bust my ass every day and started saving money for this truck as soon as it was announced.

Interesting idea considering looks wasn’t the factor that drove me to purchase the TRX. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great looking truck. But the hellcat motor, wider track, suspension setup, etc are what made me switch brands from GM to Ram. The looks were just the cherry on top. Without all those goodies underneath the skin, what’s the point? I can’t see what it looks like when I’m in the driver’s seat, but I can hear and feel what it’s made of when I smash the skinny pedal! This would be the most expensive up-badging project I’ve ever seen.

Edit: Also not a “trust fund baby” or doctor here. Much lower on the totem pole actually. I’m an RN and I bust my ass every day and started saving money for this truck as soon as it was announced.
Well this post certainly puts a damper on my faith in this forum lol. I am certainly not as good with money as you.

I’ll keep plugging away and just buy the real thing one day, I guess. Not trying to be a poser in this elite forum.

Well this post certainly puts a damper on my faith in this forum lol. I am certainly not as good with money as you.

I’ll keep plugging away and just buy the real thing one day, I guess. Not trying to be a poser in this elite forum.
Not elite at all. Just some passionate motorheads who love these vehicles. My apologies if that passion rubbed you wrong.

Not elite at all. Just some passionate motorheads who love these vehicles. My apologies if that passion rubbed you wrong.
Water under the bridge my friend. Thick skin over here.

@Ragnarr

Many, if not most, of us hard working blue collar business owners and tradesmen or are retired from those professions. We are offering you sound advice to allow you to get to the same place one day.

Being that your truck is a classic body style is actually a big benefit in terms of aftermarket support. There are many options out there. I would highly recommend that you call the guys over at Dirt King and tell them what you’d like to get out of your truck. You can build a very good looking and capable truck. Keep in mind, you are realistically looking at ~$15k to see this project through. It will not be a TRX but will be it’s own genuine thing.

Honestly, if your goal is to spend time with your kids, I’d recommend getting some sort of actual classic car and restoring that. You could definitely be all-in on a project for under $20k. Especially considering that you have wholesale access to bodywork. Something old, common and cool will be a great time for you and your kids. I’d recommend an old Jeep. Tons of parts support and customization available. Plus, one day you may be able to hand them the keys.

Hope these musings help as forum members have interesting and diverse backdrops/professions. Some of us have been in similar scenarios and hard working journeys (TRX a culmination from a history of past vehicles/projects). Now in mid 50's and finally in a fortunate financial state to own our TRX outright with daily driver WFO antics and 16k tire replacement. Frankly, miss the personal satisfaction, project milestones and forced creativity (including maximizing savings/working and hustling second and third jobs) of past to make a vision (often sketches and notepads full) into a reality - often over years. If the passion, smiles per mile and most of all memories are epic...IMO the logic of expenditures isn't critical (ie: resale/etc). More-so if your long-term plan includes keeping the truck 'in the family'. I have three Toddlers and a 20yr old, all of whom have formative memories and adventures related to our vehicles (also provided their namesakes)... definitely shared experiences are best!

Agree with Dan re: Dirt King... had the opportunity to visit/tour their CA (San Diego) showroom and fabrication area(s) - including where they do 'Full Monty' complete customer builds. At the time my TRX was plagued by repeat visits for same coolant issue/entered Lemon Law territory/RAM Cares escalations...and thought about a relatively (in comparison!) 2wd Silverado long travel build. Was a phenomenal experience (introductions to staff that help spec' your needs, even complimentary shirts). In summary, considering I randomly dropped in... a massive step up from majority of other shop visits (often with a glassy 420 eye'd counter person recommending only what's in stock or their favorite (always f'ing KINGS, always!). I'm sure they would give you 10min. of wisdom and solutions (budget/usability/value).

You're also in NH (I lived in Exeter 10yrs) and optimal usage/even land and trail accessibility can be challenging (vs. our native SW).

With your bodyshop backdrop, would be novel to build something more original like a "Cali style Prerunner" (fenders/flares, flush bumpers/removable custom tire cage in the bed/etc.). https://www.454motorsports.com/builds/ <- some bumper examples from a local business. Another example, Google 'Ram Runner' (attached pic)

Was back there months ago and any vehicle with mods seemed generic (or from a MOPAR catalog). Unless your heart is set on a TRX clone (which will only fade into other TRX's in New England).... you could instead follow the SW 'recipe'/readily available aftermarket from 'vetted' builds/ability to assemble in stages while still a daily driver. The (attached) black 1500 would get 10x more attention in NH. :)
and to quote Good Will Hunting "at least be original" (vs. the NH norm!).

<-- In the past month they released their own branded line of shocks too.

<- random find, widebody HELLCAT powered Rebel

Attachments

• Dirt King 1.jpg
    Dirt King 1.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Dirt King 2.jpg
    Dirt King 2.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Dirt King 3.jpg
    Dirt King 3.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Ram Runner.jpg
    Ram Runner.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 16
  • RAM 1500 prerunner.jpg
    RAM 1500 prerunner.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com
Back