Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Durango SRT - Rubicon 4xE on order
Current Ride #2
HD Softail Slim S
Military
USAF, retired
So I finally broke down and decided to handoff my side project of making a T-Rex head badge with the same design styling as the Hellcat & Demon to a graphic artist. I should get the first rendition tomorrow. I will post and get your feedback. He said we can go back and forth on the design until I'm satisfied.

After that step is complete I'm going to send the design file to a custom emblem manufacturor to be created. I like the cut-out style badges so the paint can show through. My thoughts are to either replace the RAM badge on the door panels or place the emblem in-front of each RAM badge. Intial though on size of the T-Rex emblem is approx 4"L x 3.5"H.

If interested in placeing an intial order with me I would be willing to work with you and get you added in. If you are interested but would rather wait until I have the final product in hand, no worries, I would be willing to help with a group purchase once my order has arrived. Pricing details TBD.

So looks like first pass the graphic artists took my sketch and turned it into a digital file. I already requested he try and work on the nose/front teeth area to get a closer design style to the Hellcat & Demon. What are your thoughts?

it’s also important to note from the custom emblem manufacturer there is this constraint “Regarding the design though, we do have a lot of requests for this style of emblem. Something to note is that any part of the design that supports other parts must be a least .125" (1/8") thick. If it's thinner it may warp and distort, which would change the design over all when in production."
D140D8DB-921E-455E-8DA3-6EA005195DE1.jpeg

C435B40B-4010-4D1C-BBFA-4A5A1122480D.jpeg
25068011-47F6-404E-9A0B-A715981178BA.jpeg

I'll jump in with you on the initial order. Like the direction this is going in the design. Just make sure adhesive is real 3M brand as I have had trouble with sourcing products we developed and a fake 3M branded adhesive was used. Caused problems to say the least. Keep up the good work!

I'll jump in with you on the initial order. Like the direction this is going in the design. Just make sure adhesive is real 3M brand as I have had trouble with sourcing products we developed and a fake 3M branded adhesive was used. Caused problems to say the least. Keep up the good work!
From the emblem manufacturer:
“All our black custom emblems are backed with a 3M automotive grade foam adhesive. This adhesive is 1/32″ thick. Because of this the emblems can adhere not only to flat surfaces, but also slightly curved or irregular surfaces as are often found on automotive fender panels.”

Just my opinion, but I don't think he should have fangs. Be interesting to see how this turns out though.

trex.jpg

Just my opinion, but I don't think he should have fangs. Be interesting to see how this turns out though.

View attachment 1437
I agree. My request was more around the teeth placement to match the other designs. They way they are drawn currently is my skill level. I want the graphic artist to match the design theme, but agree the teeth themselves should match a T-Rex in proportion and shape.

My challenge is around brining in those top front teeth correctly and in the same way as the demon and hellcat.
1604504734838.png

Last edited:
I might be interested. I'd like to see how this develops.

Thanks!

I think your artist needs to turn the head a little more to face you, you can see the bridge of the nose on the demon and hellcat slightly more and across the eye line as well

I think your artist needs to turn the head a little more to face you, you can see the bridge of the nose on the demon and hellcat slightly more and across the eye line as well
Exactly. I’m hoping his next rendition addresses this.

Maybe I just need to channel my inner Chip Foose and draw something up...I used to sketch things like this all the time, and I gave up on it a while back.

Maybe I just need to channel my inner Chip Foose and draw something up...I used to sketch things like this all the time, and I gave up on it a while back.
That would be great! Would also need per the emblem manufacturer:

“A suitable design file
  • You indicated in your request that you are familiar with vector files. That's great. That will help us keep the setup costs to a minimum. The format that we'd prefer is Adobe Illustrator CS6 type files. (Yes..., we are still using Adobe CS6) If you are using Adobe CC all you need to do is resave the file as a Legacy CS6 file. You can select this type at the top of the "Save-As" dialogue box.”

Sure, I will see if I can find the time to draw something up and then evaluate if it is something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to post on the internet...we shall see

just go to 99 Designs.com and for ~$300ish you'll get back about 30-50 submissions from all over the world....I've used it 5x and it's briliant. You give them mockups, instructions etc and graphic designers accept the bids and submit renderings....and you select a winner.....simple as that. You then own the IP rights and all vectors. Why settle for one person attempting a logo when dozens come to the table.

just go to 99 Designs.com and for ~$300ish you'll get back about 30-50 submissions from all over the world....I've used it 5x and it's briliant. You give them mockups, instructions etc and graphic designers accept the bids and submit renderings....and you select a winner.....simple as that. You then own the IP rights and all vectors. Why settle for one person attempting a logo when dozens come to the table.
Not a bad idea. Then order enough to reach a price breakpoint where you think you can sell them all, add a markup to cover the initial design cost and your time, and sell sell sell!

That’s a great idea, if my current designer doesn’t pan out I might go that route. I’ve only invested $60 in this so far so no big loss.

It's really the eyes that has been consistently done, not the teeth. And a 3/4 view to side of the head.
1604587624318.png

I agree... Especially with the 3/4 view. I like how the design is progressing but in my opinion, it needs more of a 3/4 view and not a side profile. I know this is coming in the next rendering and look forward to seeing how this progresses.

1604605539717.png

someone posted something like this, I had it tweaked and had someone make me some decals about 3 inches....i should have them anyday now. If anyone wants any i could send them to you, figure $20 per would cover all...

View attachment 1455

someone posted something like this, I had it tweaked and had someone make me some decals about 3 inches....i should have them anyday now. If anyone wants any i could send them to you, figure $20 per would cover all...
Yeah, we have seen this on here before. My only issue with this is that it doesnt look like a T-Rex...maybe Godzilla or a Rottweiler, but not a dinosaur.

Back