Suspension Fault Code caused by 37” tires?

DrKid

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 TRX
Current Ride #2
GT3 Touring, Golf R 6 spd, P90DL
So my TRX had 37 inch tires installed at the time of delivery. I put about 800 miles on the vehicle driving home to California from Idaho (delivery location to avoid over MSRP) with no issues. Around 1800 miles truck started throwing the suspension fault code. It has been to the dealer 3 separate times - each time they say they fixed it and the code comes back. Star Case, Ram engineers yada yada. Now they are saying the fault codes are due to the truck having 37” tires. I have stock wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37”.
I'm guessing this is 💯 total hands in the air they have no idea what is wrong bull@&$! but now I have to swap the 35” stock tires (thank god I kept them) for the 37” and have the fault code go off again and then start the whole star case process again.
How many guys are running 37” tires here?
How many are running 37” tires with no suspension fault code?
How many have seen the suspension fault code with the larger tires?
How many have seen the fault code with stock tires?

this is beyond frustrating - I have been without the truck for weeks and I knew Ram was going to puss out and say it was the tires when they have no idea what the issue is. I know lemon law is a possibility, but I’m guessing I have to swap the tires to show the fault is present in stock config.
kills me as I have sway bar and AWE 0FG exhaust ready to install but don’t want to f@&$ with anything until this issue is resolved.
Would really appreciate replies so I can tell the service team and Ram cares that other owners have the issue with stock set up and others with 37” tires do not have the issue.

I don't think it will matter much what others' experiences are, unfortunately. The onus will be on you to prove that your wheel/tire switch did not cause it. This is part of the risk we accept when modifying the trucks.

Like you said, at least you have the 35s still... could be worse. And when the code is thrown again with the 35s on, you can really mash their face in it.

You can't lemon law in California. You are subject to arbitration. Based upon the info you've posted Ram will point to your modification in the hearing and you will come away with nothing.

Best you can do is put it back to stock. If the light comes back on then you might have something to work with Ram on. If it doesn't, then there's your answer.

Unrelated to the tire size and this may sound dumb, but it seems like guys that have had the best luck with permanently getting rid of the trouble codes / issue is when the truck is on a lift with the suspension fully extended (wheels and tires hanging). Did your servicing dealer attempt that? The Star bulletin mentions having the vehicle on flat ground but it seems like the code has come back for some guys with this method. Just food for thought if you wanna give it a shot.

Following. I’m gonna go with 37’s as soon as a good brake kit becomes available

Need to read your Terms and Conditions You accepted when you bought the vehicle. Unfortunately you are out of luck on this one. Customer Abuse is the key term here.

Bottom Line------FCA will hang their hat on that right or wrong it will be up to you and your "experts" to PROVE otherwise. Will be too expensive to do that. You are just stuck, sorry not what you want to heart but that is just the long and short of the matter, all emotions aside.

So my TRX had 37 inch tires installed at the time of delivery. I put about 800 miles on the vehicle driving home to California from Idaho (delivery location to avoid over MSRP) with no issues. Around 1800 miles truck started throwing the suspension fault code. It has been to the dealer 3 separate times - each time they say they fixed it and the code comes back. Star Case, Ram engineers yada yada. Now they are saying the fault codes are due to the truck having 37” tires. I have stock wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 37”.
I'm guessing this is 💯 total hands in the air they have no idea what is wrong bull@&$! but now I have to swap the 35” stock tires (thank god I kept them) for the 37” and have the fault code go off again and then start the whole star case process again.

this is beyond frustrating - I have been without the truck for weeks and I knew Ram was going to puss out and say it was the tires when they have no idea what the issue is. I know lemon law is a possibility, but I’m guessing I have to swap the tires to show the fault is present in stock config.
kills me as I have sway bar and AWE 0FG exhaust ready to install but don’t want to f@&$ with anything until this issue is resolved.
Would really appreciate replies so I can tell the service team and Ram cares that other owners have the issue with stock set up and others with 37” tires do not have the issue.
Did you check all your fuses?
Maybe you have some that are not seated.

I have 37x13.50r20 nitto ridge grapplers on a 20 inch rim since February and I have 5000 miles with no issues or codes‼️
Hopefully when you switch your tires back and the code comes back or remains they fix it‼️

Attachments

• F3BD4904-BB16-4641-AEB7-4371C268A849.jpeg
    F3BD4904-BB16-4641-AEB7-4371C268A849.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 46FA4BEA-1EB3-4860-AF97-C82621F7482A.jpeg
    46FA4BEA-1EB3-4860-AF97-C82621F7482A.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 127
Could be completely wrong, but aren't those the two codes that some folks have been getting on regular tires? From what I read, those folks have to have their truck put on a lift and then flashed to get rid of the codes. Maybe someone who has been through it can provide more info

Could be completely wrong, but aren't those the two codes that some folks have been getting on regular tires? From what I read, those folks have to have their truck put on a lift and then flashed to get rid of the codes. Maybe someone who has been through it can provide more info
Correct, that is the part that is frustrating. They are saying that the codes are being thrown due the tires but I know people with 37 inch tires are not throwing a code and I know people will stock 35 inch tires that are throwing the same code. Basically they’re saying until I bring the vehicle in in stock condition they will no longer diagnose the problem. I get it, and maybe if I was rim I would ask the same, but it is sort of ridiculous to think that adding 2 inch larger tires would make the vehicle basically undrivable off-road.

That is message you have in evic,is there any codes in vehicle when you scan it?do you have a code in pcm :lost calibration
The team of technicians has not gone over a code by code list with me. I will ask them for what specific codes being thrown.

In this sb states that if vehicle has experienced service suspension message on evic ...pcm and tcm will require to be updated to new software and Axle in air calibration HAS to be performed ....unfortunately your dealer is partially right regarding to your tires as you have changed position on the truck height and position of control arms so level sensors are reading differently than was programmed from factory.

In this sb states that if vehicle has experienced service suspension message on evic ...pcm and tcm will require to be updated to new software and Axle in air calibration HAS to be performed ....unfortunately your dealer is partially right regarding to your tires as you have changed position on the truck height and position of control arms so level sensors are reading differently than was programmed from factory.
Interesting new wrinkle - driving out to lake Powell from San Diego - towing water toys and full bed. Not a single issue - from San Diego to Las Vegas - with multiple ignition off and ons (thirsty truck - small bladder Kid’s) - so tire size or weight can’t be it. Has to be with suspension position as you were saying. Might need new dealer to try.

Back