TRX of the Year 🏆
RAM-TRX.com Legend
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
So I am thinking of straight pipes or side dump exhaust. Where would be the place to cut? Just before the mufflers? Earlier?

any fluid dynamics or exhaust folks have an opinion?

and hypothetically, if I were going to take a sawzall to the exhaust, where would I cut to not lose power... or too much power

I have a 1997 Viper GTS rear exhaust and 2017 Viper ACR side exhaust, both with same cat back B&B system. The rear exhaust blows the side exhaust away for sound, as its all being dumped behind the car. The side exhaust spits the sound to each side and it like having 2 single exhausts on car. Its a night and day difference.

If you want the sound all the time, keep exhaust to rear, keep X pipe and

Remove these:

1614389690563.png

and seal these:

1614389657776.png

It will sound sick.

The guy with the Track Hawk said he first sealed the exhaust vent/screens and had almost a perfect exhaust, then put on $2,500.00 headers that made it way to loud to stand all the time. Now regrets, but is not throwing away $2,500.00 headers.

That's why I do the QTP cut outs. Just depends what you want and what your willing to deal with.

Last edited:
I think I’m doing it until a good exhaust comes out

Give the tape a try and go from there. Its quick and easy. Do a before and after video?

From the cats, there are 3" straight pipes to X pipe, then 2 mufflers, before exhaust screen venting, noise reducer. If you know an exhaust manufacturer sound you like, (for its B&B), then just replace the stock mufflers with the exhaust sound manufacture mufflers or resonators you like.

I dont think you have to scrap the whole exhaust. Headers and air filter are the restriction points on the TRX setup.

Swap mufflers for brand sound you like and seal screen venting. Probably $300-$400 vs a whole cat back system.

Give the tape a try and go from there. Its quick and easy. Do a before and after video?

From the cats, there are 3" straight pipes to X pipe, then 2 mufflers, before exhaust screen venting, noise reducer. If you know an exhaust manufacturer sound you like, (for its B&B), then just replace the stock mufflers with the exhaust sound manufacture mufflers or resonators you like.

I dont think you have to scrap the whole exhaust. Headers and air filter are the restriction points on the TRX setup.

Swap mufflers for brand sound you like and seal screen venting. Probably $300-$400 vs a whole cat back system.
I’n leaving off the muffler

I have a 1997 Viper GTS rear exhaust and 2017 Viper ACR side exhaust, both with same cat back B&B system. The rear exhaust blows the side exhaust away for sound, as its all being dumped behind the car. The side exhaust spits the sound to each side and it like having 2 single exhausts on car. Its a night and day difference.

Remove these:

View attachment 6152

and seal these:

View attachment 6151

It will sound sick.

The guy with the Track Hawk said he first sealed the exhaust vent/screens and had almost a perfect exhaust, then put on $2,500.00 headers that made it way to loud to stand all the time. Now regrets, but is not throwing away $2,500.00 headers.

That's why I do the QTP cut outs. Just depends what you want and what your willing to deal with.
I was going to ask Belanger for a couple mufflers to see how it sounds since I have his system on my 97 gts

I think a muffler delete sounds a little too raspy on the TRXs due to the length of the tubing. Unfortunately the bumper has notches for the tips, otherwise I would do a side out before the wheel for a deep and obnoxiously loud rumble. I will wait for someone to do a full rear exit exhaust set up or if I do an after market rear bumper then I will side exit.

I'll have an exhaust shop I have used locally many times do the muffler delete or whatever custom I do. If you do a Sawzall at home approach to try it out, leave 8 inches on each exit pipe of the muffler so you have enough lead pipe to clamp it back on if need be and don't need to weld the mufflers back on.

I was going to ask Belanger for a couple mufflers to see how it sounds since I have his system on my 97 gts

I would get a bunch of hellcat after market videos and try to narrow down the sound you want.

BillyBoat Exhaust:

Top 4 loudests Hellcat exhausts:

Just doing a few little mods really changes sound and loudness.
(Dark Red Hellcat: Stock)
(Black Hellcat: Mid Muffler Delete)
(Yellow Hellcat: JBA Catless Pipes)

I like the black car, mid muffler delete, which is the same a QTP cut outs, by passes mufflers.

Last edited:
So I am thinking of straight pipes or side dump exhaust. Where would be the place to cut? Just before the mufflers? Earlier?

any fluid dynamics or exhaust folks have an opinion?

and hypothetically, if I were going to take a sawzall to the exhaust, where would I cut to not lose power... or too much power
I am thinkin of adding a silent choice insert!!😂

Remove these:

View attachment 6152

and seal these:

View attachment 6151

It will sound sick.

Interesting that your side exhaust doesn't sound as good as the rear. I've done several G Wagons with cut-outs and they have side exhaust. They sound rowdy! I'd stick with cut-outs before the muffler with turn downs on a TRX. Leave the stock tips where they are.

Interesting that your side exhaust doesn't sound as good as the rear. I've done several G Wagons with cut-outs and they have side exhaust. They sound rowdy! I'd stick with cut-outs before the muffler with turn downs on a TRX. Leave the stock tips where they are.
I know it is not a proper comparison, as it was single exit, but I had the 6.4 PW with muffler delete that exited the passenger side (rear of truck) and I hated it compared to my 5.7 with ARH full system amd Corsa cutback. Apples and oranges I know, but the side exhaust was weird. Maybe due to the single exit.

I also want to retain the stock tips/look. If there is a cheap and easy way as Jrex suggests to make this thing sound better with no Drone, I'm in.

Side exits are fun till you burn your shins or you lady friend burns her toes, also makes drivethroughs even more difficult.

Dumps look good on a dusty road, but get annoying real quick with cab drone.

Any real performance gains are going to be with the first few feet of your header primaries and collector. Anything past that will not be much better than stock.

If you want a good deep sounding exhaust keep your resonators, as they dont hurt flow just cancell out certain (raspy) sound frequencies.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back