Spottswoode

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
23 TRX
Current Ride #2
AMG E53, Kia Stinger
Hello folks, this is my first vehicle with these size/type tires. All other vehicles I own are cars with low profile fun flat tires that hold their air pressures much longer than these TRX tires. I inflate to 38 cold as per factory (for street). All 4 tires must be serviced it seems once every 3 weeks or so. The car tires last longer. Is this normal for big truck off road tires like these? Thanks!

Mine do not lose air like that at all. However outside temperature fluctuations can affect the tire pressure quite a bit.

Mine do not lose air like that at all. However outside temperature fluctuations can affect the tire pressure quite a bit.
^ this, check your air pressure when they are at the same relative temperature.
My low profile tires still fluctuate 3-5 psi with a cold vs hot day

+1 Even with the swing in temps between Maine winter and summer (easily 140º) I don't see much variance in my tire pressures - they are consistently 41-42PSI.

You will lose or gain about 1 PSI tire pressure per 10 degrees ambient temp change. When I check tire pressure in the fall (60 degrees) I may add as much as 4 PSI above recommended pressure. I will lose 3 PSI due to temp (60 deg - 30 deg) and 1 or 2 PSI due to leakage. When i check in the winter I add two or three as well assuming the tires have stabilized to my garage temp. My garage is generally 50 -55 degrees and the outside temp is 25 deg.

Reactions: Two
Have a shop check the valve stems, you may have a slight variation due to ambient temps (as others stated) but you should not be adding air every 3-4 weeks.

Is the air in your tires somehow exempt from Boyle's Law?
Apparently?
1701202876827.png
1701202964888.png

The larger the tire (35’s on 17’s or 18’s vs 27’s on 20 inch wheels) with a larger air volume; the greater it is effected by ambient temperature

So the air temp in the tire cooling and heating will change the psi significantly

What was 40 psi in the summer was 30-31 psi when it hit 60°.

Hello folks, this is my first vehicle with these size/type tires. All other vehicles I own are cars with low profile fun flat tires that hold their air pressures much longer than these TRX tires. I inflate to 38 cold as per factory (for street). All 4 tires must be serviced it seems once every 3 weeks or so. The car tires last longer. Is this normal for big truck off road tires like these? Thanks!
Look around for a tire shop that uses nitrogen. The temperature fluctuations are far less, helps keep them from loosing pressure and prevents dry rotting. Thats what we fill every tire with. Drain and fill is easy and cheap. We charge around $10 I think 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Most dont really know but Costco is one of the few places that offers a Nitrogen fill.
And most people don't know that Nitrogen expands and contracts just like any other gas (including regular air) when temps change.

It's amazing what advertising can make people believe. Yes, nitrogen is dry and oxygen free, but that's it.

And most people don't know that Nitrogen expands and contracts just like any other gas (including regular air) when temps change.

It's amazing what advertising can make people believe. Yes, nitrogen is dry and oxygen free, but that's it.
Partially correct. It does cut down on temperature fluctuations and its the main reason its used in all airplane tires because of the drastic temp changes, over 100 degrees to -60 in minutes. Passenger vehicles aren’t that drastic of a change but is still beneficial.

You're not wrong. It does expand and contract just like normal air, however, there are differences. It's not snake oil...

Normal AirNitrogen
Composition78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% other gasesPure nitrogen gas
Tire pressureLoses pressure more quicklyMaintains pressure for longer
MoistureCan contain moistureDry gas
TemperatureAffected by temperature changesLess affected by temperature changes

From my diving classes in the 90's. and @Counterfeit s post.....Earths atmosphere is made up of about 20% oxygen and 79% nitrogen and a few other trace gases. So if you have a good dryer on your compressor, we are already at 79% nitrogen for FREE ! Close enough for me.

Last edited:
I had a guy at work send his wife with her vehicle to get nitrogen added to her tires..........some silly shit
"Get nitrogen added to her TIRES".....so thats what they are calling it now?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com
Back