The_Sko

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 RAM TRX
Current Ride #2
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Let me start off by saying the HK system was nothing less than unimpressive and only needed to go about 10 minutes hearing a few different flavors of music before knowing this wasn't going to work. I honestly was hoping this wasn't going to be the case and be a 19 speaker system would mean something, but it didn't. So here we go.

Full disclaimer, I used to do love doing car audio as a youth but I'm older and time is money so this build was fully done by the folks at Rudy's auto in Kalispell MT. Shout out to Mike who I started by providing my requirements for the system and letting him do his magic.

In other builds I have had, lastly being my '16 Challenger Hellcat which was a full focal build with a high output SPL 12" sub powered by Arc Audio amps and DSP. Loved it but we wanted to step this one up a bit. And knowing that SQ was key here vs. SPL's we needed a solid room dead of vibrations, road noise and any other unwanted contaminants.

My ask was simple, clean (no seeing anything extra if peeked at from the outside) and loud when I wanted it with no ear scratching or distortion. Give me more headroom than I would ever need.

So out comes everything and start the sound deadening foundation.

Start with a good washing and drying.
IMG_7133.JPEG

IMG_7135.JPEG

Next comes some wrap to protect it from accidental damage.
IMG_7137.JPEG

Everything was stripped out, front and back.

IMG_7158.JPEG

IMG_7165.JPEG
IMG_7162.JPEG

Now it's time to start rolling out the carpet.

Here's the cab pretty much done.
IMG_7166.JPEG

And can't forget about the doors. It was important to not only do the outside metal but the backside of the door panels too. When this door closes it makes a serious THUMP.
IMG_7174.JPEG

IMG_7183.JPEG

IMG_7222.JPEG

IMG_7223.JPEG

IMG_7225.JPEG

Now that we have them rattles taken care of on to the installation of the speakers.

For this build we went with BLAM Audio. I had Focals, but the guy behind these speakers was a Focal engineer and want to do something different and started this company.
I wanted a full active setup so we decided on the Multix Line with a 6" in the door, 2" in the door, 1" in the dash, and a 3" in the center channel. We originally had planned for a 3" in both the door and dash, but without serious cutting of metal the 3"s in the door would not fit. And to match that we ended up with 6" coaxial in the back to match the fronts. Lastly, we did tap into the two stock speakers in the roof for a very very slight filler sound. We debated this a few times, but he argued against installing new ones as the volume wouldn't be enough to warrant the spend for matching 1"s. We decided we could easily add them later if I deemed I wanted them.

This is the stock tweeters, which were in the top part of the door, dash and center compared to the 3" I replaced them with. FYI they get to 19 speakers because they count each of them as two since it technically has two speakers in it.
IMG_7151.JPEG

IMG_7152.JPEG

Stock door up front with 6x9's, which they used all around, and those 1" tweets.
IMG_7146.JPEG

Last edited:
With the replaced speakers in the front door.
IMG_7307.JPEG

The rear door.
IMG_7200.JPEG

The 1" in the dash.
IMG_7314.JPEG

IMG_7316.JPEG

And the center channel 3" full range speaker.
IMG_7213.JPEG

IMG_7216.JPEG

On to the subs. I went with a MTI sub box stage 2. I will say this thing is great, looks custom, and they matched the stitching and vinal very well. Also added a nice TRX to the front of the box. This let me put in two JL Audio 13TW5's. Could have done 10"s but figured might as well do it now so I don't wonder if I should have later on.

Here are the shallow subs.
IMG_7207.JPEG

Front of the sub box, don't worry that tan wrapping paper comes off.
IMG_7084.JPEG

A shot of it installed.
IMG_7352.JPEG

Now I did lose access to the bins below, but that's ok as I have a retrax Pro cover and most of the stuff will go in the back anywise.
IMG_7349.JPEG

Next up was running power, which was all carried from the battery with a single 4 gauge wire, I asked was this enough and the answer was yes this is a very efficient amp(s), much higher than what I had used in the past and most definitely more than what I used as a young man.
IMG_7226.JPEG

These is the custom amp installation boards in the place where the factory sub was installed prior.
67287772962__3804FB29-7EBB-4014-9A56-9565ACC1393B.JPEG

Here are the two amps(with built-in DSP's). First up the the Helix 12 channel MK2 amp. This runs all the speakers, the 6 side speakers upfront, the center channel, two rear door coaxials, and the two overhead rear speakers for a total of 11 out of the 12 channels. Each channel gets 75 Watts @4ohms.

And a Helix P ONE running the subs in a perfectly matched 1 ohm x 1,500 Watts.
IMG_7329-1.JPEG

This is how it looks all cleaned up, nice and tidy.
IMG_7330.JPEG

Needing somewhere to place the subcontrol and profile control knob we picked this, which actually fits perfectly. Though we did have to cut the dash (not a fan of doing anything too permanent) but didn't have much of a choice and it turned out great.

Knob off.
IMG_7327.JPEG

Knob On.
IMG_7348.JPEG

Now that it's all installed here are some obligatory pics of the tuning process, though I won't say these were the final tunes just used to illustrate its capabilities is all.
67358420020__6CFE8ECD-40D7-498E-962E-A85CF5B247B6.JPEG

67358423793__DF895A36-86F3-4A38-9C3F-FF5F56833128-1.JPEG

That's about it. I would show you finished pics but you would be looking at just what appears to be another stock TRX.

I will say the sound is amazing. We were playing around in there and at higher volumes where I was literally yelling at Mike in the passenger seat, with him totally unable to hear me, it NEVER got loud to the ear with any screeching, piercing, or any unpleasantries. With room to go higher. The bass matched very well to the rest of the system with plenty of bottom end to bounce my phone all over the place sitting on the center console at half knob on the bass control.

My musical preferences are all over the map, Tool, 2Pac, Price, country (the wife's choice but growing on it), you name it. Mike not only did the tuning of the system to balance the speaker roll from one to another but the timing of the sound to hit the driver perfectly. Where you move your head around and it sounds "different" because it was designed that way. I had him create two profiles, a driver and a passenger seat tune. While damn good with a driver tune, the passenger can really appreciate it with a quick change and really see how good it can be with timing tuned for their positioning. They go "oh wow, that's way better" and can fully appreciate what this setup can do.

Long and short I figured a truck of this cost should have something as matching inside of it. And yes I will be mashing this beast all over the hills in Montana on all my hunts scaring the piss out of all the local critters who aren't on the menu that day.

Hope you all enjoyed it, I'm off to a deserved beer after all that typing.

Last edited:
Looks great, plan on doing something similar when mine comes in. What are they doing to get a full range signal to the DSP since the PAC module isn't available yet for the '22s?

Looks great, plan on doing something similar when mine comes in. What are they doing to get a full range signal to the DSP since the PAC module isn't available yet for the '22s?
I believe it was a combo of using this PAC with this DSR1 to talk to the factory amps. I can ask if you want, but I have a '22 and it's rocking with the factory head unit.

Any guess on how much the soundshield/dynamat weight added all in all? Just curious. I've thought about doing something like this but 9 times out of 10 I have the rear cab window open listening to the tune of the truck itself (after having catback and headers installed). Also, could you say roughly what total cost was?

Everything looks SO clean! I’ve been thinking about sound deadening- but I’m super nervous about ripping the truck apart like that! I hate breaking plastic clips and stuff. Nothing ever seems to go back the same, but it looks like they knew what they were doing. Looks very nice. Jelly.

Looks great!
How much would that run for me to get all that done?
Subs and amps are already purchased so that should bring the price down a bit.

Single rolls had 11 of these installed and MESA mats and 20 of these installed. Not sure of the weight and nothing I gave any thoughts to.

I also run with the back window often and this doesn't do anything to distract from them, but in fact probably enhances it since it kills road noise and extra vibrations, leaving the pure sound of the stereo and/or exhaust.

Well not cheap, I paid for a premium setup and got a top-notch product. A hell of a lot more was spent on this than was on my first car. By a lot.

Looks great!
How much would that run for me to get all that done?
Subs and amps are already purchased so that should bring the price down a bit.
Lots of variations in that answer. Not sure how to answer it, you mean everything like I did? Including the sound deadening? Those were not cheap materials all around. You could save a lot of money by picking different product lines for sure.

Everything looks SO clean! I’ve been thinking about sound deadening- but I’m super nervous about ripping the truck apart like that! I hate breaking plastic clips and stuff. Nothing ever seems to go back the same, but it looks like they knew what they were doing. Looks very nice. Jelly.
Agreed! That's why I paid someone to do it and I have been tearing though back roads all weekend chasing my favorite fishing holes and not a rattle to speak of.

He put it all back together very well.

Lots of variations in that answer. Not sure how to answer it, you mean everything like I did? Including the sound deadening? Those were not cheap materials all around. You could save a lot of money by picking different product lines for sure.
I think I would use the same material because I don't want to do something differently and get disappointed the do it all again.

Knob On. View attachment 41910

Now that it's all installed here are some obligatory pics of the tuning process, though I won't say these were the final tunes just used to illustrate its capabilities is all.
View attachment 41911
View attachment 41912

That's about it. I would show you finished pics but you would be looking at just what appears to be another stock TRX.

I will say the sound is amazing. We were playing around in there and at higher volumes where I was literally yelling at Mike in the passenger seat, which him totally unable to hear me, it NEVER got loud to the ear with any screeching, piercing, or any unpleasantries. With room to go higher. The bass matched very well to the rest of the system with plenty of bottom end to bounce my phone all over the place sitting on the center console at half knob on the bass control.

My musical preferences are all over the map, Tool, 2Pac, Price, country (the wife's choice but growing on it), you name it. Mike not only did the tuning of the system to balance the speaker roll from one to another but the timing of the sound to hit the driver perfectly. Where you move your head around and it sounds "different" because it was designed that way. I had him create two profiles, a driver and a passenger seat tune. While damn good with a driver tune, the passenger can really appreciate it with a quick change and really see how good it can be with timing tuned for their positioning. They go "oh wow, that's way better" and can fully appreciate what this setup can do.

Long and short I figured a truck of this cost should have something as matching inside of it. And yes I will be mashing this beast all over the hills in Montana on all my hunts scaring the piss out of all the local critters who aren't on the menu that day.

Hope you all enjoyed it, I'm off to a deserved beer after all that typing.
Excellent job on the write-up, one of the best ones on this forum. I wish I was local to you, I would love to hear the outcome first-hand. Them poor critters are going to feel you coming before they hear you!

I think I would use the same material because I don't want to do something differently and get disappointed the do it all again.
Find a good installer, they should have something you can listen to and get an idea of what your $ will get you. I can't tell you how to spend it but I know MY money was well spent for what I asked.

If they don't have a vehicle you can listen to ask them to bring in a customer to demo a system. My shop did and I live in Montana! The point being, if it's a reputable shop with a happy client base I promise you they should have someone who would let you listen for a few moments and showcase the work done.

Excellent job on the write-up, one of the best ones on this forum. I wish I was local to you, I would love to hear the outcome first-hand. Them poor critters are going to feel you coming before they hear you!
I'll post a video of the doors that are done and the bed which isn't. It's crazy, and if doors and windows are closed you don't hear much coming out.

If words could only describe it. I would do a video of it but that’s a waste.

I'll post a video of the doors that are done and the bed which isn't. It's crazy, and if doors and windows are closed you don't hear much coming out.
Great post on your truck audio build. I currently have a 2022 trx in my shop and running into a traffic jam. I notice your vtwelve amp has an optical cable plugged into the bottom. Any idea what interface was used to provide that optical out from the factory audio system to go into that amp? Thanks

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back