Squeal/Squeak Sound Issue, all the time.

TReX-RAM

TRX Junkie 💉
Reaction score
Current Ride
TReX
My truck still has the hemi tick/squeak/squeal/whatever from day #1.
Sometimes it is louder at start-up and sometimes it is louder after driving for an hour. Most of the time it is louder under load, but not all of the time. It comes and it goes. Yesterday was the very first time that it was not noticeable at all (I was airing down my tires).
I just call it character. My Rex has character, probably more "character" than most others :ROFLMAO: and I am OK with that.

SPRARN

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX Black
Current Ride #2
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Black
There is already a post on this and forum members have stated that the dealerships are being told, and telling customers, that, it is in fact the metal on metal squeak from the exhaust. You are not far off from what customers are being told. Not sure why @OutFoxed is getting his panties in a bunch and attacking you. He's not the only one with the issue, and there is a thread for it. Maybe he needs to search it and find out what others have already been told. It's not going away at 2500 mile break in.

Thanks @Mpavalanche1 - I didn't know they were telling customers something similar. And yup, I don't understand how I came across as offensive when I absolutely didn't want to outsmart anyone, just share my (possibly wrong) opinion, lol. But that's what it kinda sounded like to me from hearing it in person ;)

Mpavalanche1

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
If this is true, then theoretically, once more people begin running aftermarket exhaust, we should be able to confirm that is the culprit, yes?
Only if they do a full exhaust swap. I think they are saying it's somewhere between the engine and the cats. If someone only does a cat back system, they may still hear it. I just vaguely remember the thread that dealerships were being told it's a none issue for FCA because all the hellcats do it and we hear it more prevalent on the TRX because of the height. Fingers crossed someone figures something out. It sounds terrible.

tburke260

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Name
Travis Burke
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Military
USMC
This is a post about squeal/squeak coming from the powertrain/drivetrain.
**This is NOT a thread about Hemi tick or the hemi tick star related bulletins. Please DON'T post about those here on this thread. Thanks ahead of time for your cooperation.**

*Sorry for the long read, I just want to give the full story upfront*

Here is a recap of my conversation with the RAM Product Development team member I spoke to on June 3rd 2021, via a 45min phone call about the Squeal/squeak.
1st off, my truck does have hemi tick, it goes away after 45 sec, that was explained. He acknowledged that. Now we can all move on from that...the hemi tick is not what we talked about for the rest of the conversation.
2nd, I explained the squeak & squealing noise, the symptoms, when it happens, how it always happens even after the vehicle is warmed up and driven, how it sounds in P, R, N, D, under load and not under load. I said it sounds similar to a bad bearing or bad pulley from my past experience with high performance motors. I told him I shot a video of it on Wednesday (Link below) and explained how others notice it, it's embarrassing for a $88k truck. I even told him there are many people on the forums and Facebook groups that are dedicated to this awesome truck and that they are also frustrated and experiencing the same issue. It has been there since I picked up the truck at 8miles at the dealer, and I now have 166miles and it hasn't changed or gone away.
His response:
He went over his experience with the truck, he had one of the pre-launch TRX trucks for a few months. His opinion is, based on everything I said, it sounds like pistons rings still getting seated properly, but he isn't sure without seeing it in person. It isn't a 'normal' noise. He also explained these are performance engines with tighter tolerances, and noises like this are more on the typical side and he noted it may subside/go-away during break-in. He explained even though break-in is at 1,500mi in the manual, 2,500mi is a great number to use. Trust your oil change dash monitor, there is no need to change oil before that 2500mi break-in is complete.
He wants me to get though the break-in and call him at the end of the summer, no matter what to follow up:
+good results (Squeal/squeak goes away)
~same (squeal/squeak is the same)
-bad results (squeal/squeak gets worse) he asked I call him immediately, before break-in is over.
He would rather have me go fully through the break-in timeframe, then if the issue is still prevalent, then do further diagnosis. The analogy of, there's no need to perform surgery at such an early time if it may be a simple problem/noise related to break-in. There is no sense of pulling the truck apart and over diagnosing the noise that may go away during break-in, you have a warranty, so don't stress about it as of now and enjoy the truck.
If we were to bring it in now, which he did leave up to me as a decision, he would send out an oscillator tool that detects frequency sound vibrations to help diagnose and locate the issue at my local dealer. He and someone from RAM Engineering would be calling the local dealer and working with the top mechanic one-on-one in this process to diagnose and find out what the issue is and making the potential fix. (Surgery Reference above)
We both agreed, I have his direct contact information and I wanted to finish the break-in process through the summer before we both follow up on this. He did start a case for me, so everything in the conversation is documented about this.
We then went on to have a fun conversation about the future of RAM. He provided some insight of cool stuff to come :devilish:hp, what customers are looking for and how I'm potentially going to use my truck and how I know others are using their trucks.
Overall, it was a great conversation and which left me and I hope others believing that RAM cares for the current owners and future buyers and they are here to build quality performance trucks for the future.

If you are still here, thanks for the read.

Here is a link to the video of the symptoms, squeal/squeaking.

@Crazyotter FYI. @Trxtops, i didn't want to hijack your thread. @KnightMare
I have the exact same sound / issue with my TRX, has 1500 miles on it, sounds like a bad belt or
**This is NOT a thread about Hemi tick or the hemi tick star related bulletins. Please DON'T post about those here on this thread. Thanks ahead of time for your cooperation.**

Here is a recap of my conversation with the RAM Product Development team member I spoke to on June 3rd 2021, via a 45min phone call about the Squeal/squeak.
1st off, my truck does have hemi tick, it goes away after 45 sec, that was explained. He acknowledged that. Now we can all move on from that...the hemi tick is not what we talked about for the rest of the conversation.
2nd, I explained the squeak & squealing noise, the symptoms, when it happens, how it always happens even after the vehicle is warmed up and driven, how it sounds in P, R, N, D, under load and not under load. I said it sounds similar to a bad bearing or bad pulley from my past experience with high performance motors. I told him I shot a video of it on Wednesday (Link below) and explained how others notice it, it's embarrassing for a $88k truck. I even told him there are many people on the forums and Facebook groups that are dedicated to this awesome truck and that they are also frustrated and experiencing the same issue. It has been there since I picked up the truck at 8miles at the dealer, and I now have 166miles and it hasn't changed or gone away.
His response:
He went over his experience with the truck, he had one of the pre-launch TRX trucks for a few months. His opinion is, based on everything I said, it sounds like pistons rings still getting seated properly, but he isn't sure without seeing it in person. It isn't a 'normal' noise. He also explained these are performance engines with tighter tolerances, and noises like this are more on the typical side and he noted it may subside/go-away during break-in. He explained even though break-in is at 1,500mi in the manual, 2,500mi is a great number to use. Trust your oil change dash monitor, there is no need to change oil before that 2500mi break-in is complete.
He wants me to get though the break-in and call him at the end of the summer, no matter what to follow up:
-bad results (squeal/squeak gets worse) he asked I call him immediately, before break-in is over.
He would rather have me go fully through the break-in timeframe, then if the issue is still prevalent, then do further diagnosis. The analogy of, there's no need to perform surgery at such an early time if it may be a simple problem/noise related to break-in. There is no sense of pulling the truck apart and over diagnosing the noise that may go away during break-in, you have a warranty, so don't stress about it as of now and enjoy the truck.
If we were to bring it in now, which he did leave up to me as a decision, he would send out an oscillator tool that detects frequency sound vibrations to help diagnose and locate the issue at my local dealer. He and someone from RAM Engineering would be calling the local dealer and working with the top mechanic one-on-one in this process to diagnose and find out what the issue is and making the potential fix. (Surgery Reference above)
We both agreed, I have his direct contact information and I wanted to finish the break-in process through the summer before we both follow up on this. He did start a case for me, so everything in the conversation is documented about this.
We then went on to have a fun conversation about the future of RAM. He provided some insight of cool stuff to come :devilish:hp, what customers are looking for and how I'm potentially going to use my truck and how I know others are using their trucks.
Overall, it was a great conversation and which left me and I hope others believing that RAM cares for the current owners and future buyers and they are here to build quality performance trucks for the future.

I have the same exact thing on my TRX with 1500 miles, worse in D or R not as bad in P or N, dealership wants it for a week.....

BusaDave

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Name
Dave
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX
Current Ride #2
2021 BMW X5 M
With big problems I have had this one is pretty minor. Does not do it all of the time. Now that I have noticed it will see what the ultimate fix is.

Steiger

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX Billet Silver level 2
If my truck does this, I can’t hear it

sisaacks

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Name
TRIPF
Current Ride
2016 TACO
Military
Veteran
Well....I have not gotten mine.....but I would have to say...after this long ridiculous wait.....I will be annoyed if mine does the same. I had a 2011 Raptor that was making a hideous noise only when in drive....turned out to be the 4 wheel drive actuator.

OP
OutFoxed

OutFoxed

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Fox
Current Ride
'09 Ralliart
Current Ride #2
'05 Dakota
I have the exact same sound / issue with my TRX, has 1500 miles on it, sounds like a bad belt or

I have the same exact thing on my TRX with 1500 miles, worse in D or R not as bad in P or N, dealership wants it for a week.....
You should bring it into the dealership and have them really look into BOTH catalytic converters (worth the week's time, if they fix it, and you can spread the word either way)...so I've heard this is the issue where the noise comes from ;). They will need to replace them. I haven't brought mine in yet, but I will once I get to 2500mi if it is still doing it.

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
Take a listen to the TRX with headers installed and there’s zero evidence of any squeak / chirp. Who knows if it was present in that vehicle prior to the header install, but it sure isn’t present in that video. I know @OutFoxed you don’t want to believe / accept the Star Bulletin applies to your issue. It was a flock shoot bulletin kicked out by FCA when this issue was primarily occurring at startup. Lots of guys now have the noise all of the time like you do and basically have been told it’s exhaust related. The Star bulletin has zero to do with a Hemi tick. The owners manual has information specific to the Hemi tick and it is not the same info as the Star bulletin which mentions specifically the exhaust. I could be wrong but I believe the issue is definitely exhaust manifold / catalytic converter related. I’ve had two supercharged vehicles that have had piston slap and this noise is not it. Sorry your truck has the issue man, but I think a full exhaust swap would probably fix it. Not my truck and not my dime.

OP
OutFoxed

OutFoxed

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Fox
Current Ride
'09 Ralliart
Current Ride #2
'05 Dakota
Take a listen to the TRX with headers installed and there’s zero evidence of any squeak / chirp. Who knows if it was present in that vehicle prior to the header install, but it sure isn’t present in that video. I know @OutFoxed you don’t want to believe / accept the Star Bulletin applies to your issue. It was a flock shoot bulletin kicked out by FCA when this issue was primarily occurring at startup. Lots of guys now have the noise all of the time like you do and basically have been told it’s exhaust related. The Star bulletin has zero to do with a Hemi tick. The owners manual has information specific to the Hemi tick and it is not the same info as the Star bulletin which mentions specifically the exhaust. I could be wrong but I believe the issue is definitely exhaust manifold / catalytic converter related. I’ve had two supercharged vehicles that have had piston slap and this noise is not it. Sorry your truck has the issue man, but I think a full exhaust swap would probably fix it. Not my truck and not my dime.
@RobR651 I believe it might be Catalytic Converter related, I've heard from a very reliable source that is is the issue, as I stated above in my post today. I'm not putting an aftermarket exhaust for an annoying noise that should not come from the factory like that, RAM should fix it for everyone is my point. Not just put out a BS broad bulletin calling it 'normal'. I love my truck, I just don't love the squeak/squeal noise that is always present and doesn't go away after warm up and long drives.
Until someone does a before and after with a single truck, on video, that has the squeak and is remedied by the exhaust modifications, I'm not a believer in that theory without real video proof.

Cux211

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Name
Steve
Current Ride
19 ram 2500 Laramie cummins

His response:

I am so glad you explained all of that I got so tired of people arguing with me “it’s the hemi tic” bs anybody that’s ever worked on a truck would know that sounds like a belt or tensioner/bearing squeal. I actually was surprised when he mentioned rings as I’ve never heard a piston ring make that sound

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
The confusion is the Star bulletin never covered the Hemi tick… ever. Not sure why anyone thought that it did. Two distinct sounds… the typical Hemi tick covered in the owners manual and the squeak / chirp which is what FCA is referring to in the Star Bulletin (aka their way of claiming it’s normal). I’m hoping there’s some sort of an aftermarket solution because I highly doubt there will be an FCA one. The piston ring / piston slap talk is complete nonsense. I guess we will see if someone swaps out the Cats

Last edited:

Futant

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Tundra Supercharged with King Off-road suspension
Current Ride #2
Husqvarna TX300i, KTM 350 XC, Yamaha YZ 125
It (mine) sounds more like crickets or even locusts. It’s annoying.

Ry_bernard

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Ryan
Current Ride
2021 Ram Rebel Trx
I took delivery of my trx last week Thursday, I have about 500 miles and noticed it the same noise day 2. Luckily my noise isn’t very pronounced like some of the examples I have heard. I hear nothing in park or neutral. Drive and reverse start to chirp. Then at light throttle you can hesr the sound pick up a bit then it’s gone as you accelerate. It certainly seemed like an exhaust related sound from the start. I called my dealer and they said they has torn into two already while working with star. Took the exhaust off and one all the way into the valves. They said they had confirmed it was something with the performance nature of the exhaust. I am still curious why some trucks don’t have the noise at all. Very curious if anyone finds a solution.
All in all, love the truck, and this doesn’t change that. Easy enough to drown the sound out with some supercharger whine!

TxSkye

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Name
Skye
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I took delivery of my trx last week Thursday, I have about 500 miles and noticed it the same noise day 2. Luckily my noise isn’t very pronounced like some of the examples I have heard. I hear nothing in park or neutral. Drive and reverse start to chirp. Then at light throttle you can hesr the sound pick up a bit then it’s gone as you accelerate. It certainly seemed like an exhaust related sound from the start. I called my dealer and they said they has torn into two already while working with star. Took the exhaust off and one all the way into the valves. They said they had confirmed it was something with the performance nature of the exhaust. I am still curious why some trucks don’t have the noise at all. Very curious if anyone finds a solution.
All in all, love the truck, and this doesn’t change that. Easy enough to drown the sound out with some supercharger whine!
I’m starting to think the ones that don’t have it are just owners that are hard of hearing. Lol.

Ry_bernard

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Ryan
Current Ride
2021 Ram Rebel Trx
I’m starting to think the ones that don’t have it are just owners that are hard of hearing. Lol.
No kidding, I drove through a tunnel today. Top five experiences of my life… ha

ALJ

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Larry Scott
Current Ride
2021 TRX
Military
No
@RobR651 I believe it might be Catalytic Converter related, I've heard from a very reliable source that is is the issue, as I stated above in my post today. I'm not putting an aftermarket exhaust for an annoying noise that should not come from the factory like that, RAM should fix it for everyone is my point. Not just put out a BS broad bulletin calling it 'normal'. I love my truck, I just don't love the squeak/squeal noise that is always present and doesn't go away after warm up and long drives.
Until someone does a before and after with a single truck, on video, that has the squeak and is remedied by the exhaust modifications, I'm not a believer in that theory without real video proof.

The older hellcats had cat issues, wonder if this TRX issue is similar???

midas360

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Dodge TRX
Please don't reprimand me for doing this but did a little research and someone recommended a product.

Motorkote Catalytic and Exhaust Treatment Emissions Control Catalytic Cleaner​

Why anyone would need this for a new car, I don't know. I decided to give it a try. I am on Day 3 and I have noticed a difference in my cold start whine. It's almost gone. However, don't get too excited. I am waiting for it come back and will give my final verdict in a few weeks. Good luck!

Futant

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Or they never roll their windows down. I can’t hear it with mine up.

Futant

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
Please don't reprimand me for doing this but did a little research and someone recommended a product.

Motorkote Catalytic and Exhaust Treatment Emissions Control Catalytic Cleaner​

Why anyone would need this for a new car, I don't know. I decided to give it a try. I am on Day 3 and I have noticed a difference in my cold start whine. It's almost gone. However, don't get too excited. I am waiting for it come back and will give my final verdict in a few weeks. Good luck!
I am not reprimanding you at all. But I’m a hard time understanding this product since our exhausts are brand new.

Reactions: ALJ

Latest Discussions...

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com