Sport mode, louder, how?

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Demon and 2021 Hydro Blue TRX
Tried it again this morning, this time no cruise but held steady at 60, no mute, just radio down, and no change in sound. Now there are scenarios where sport downshifts a gear, and thus louder, but otherwise at highway speeds in 8th gear.......nothing to see here.

Last edited:
OP
S

Swayse

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Trx ordered
Tried it again this morning, this time no cruise but held steady at 60, no mute, just radio down, and no change in sound. Now there are scenarios where sport downshifts a gear, and thus louder, but otherwise at highway speeds in 8th gear.......nothing to see here.

I was gonna make a video with a sound meter going from sport to auto mode cruising at 75, to show you what I’m talking about. But, my wife looked at me and asked me “why?” I tried to explain that somebody that I’ve never met, that posts on our group, was wrong, and I needed to enlighten him…

I decided to change the air in my spare tire instead.

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
I was gonna make a video with a sound meter going from sport to auto mode cruising at 75, to show you what I’m talking about. But, my wife looked at me and asked me “why?” I tried to explain that somebody that I’ve never met, that posts on our group, was wrong, and I needed to enlighten him…

Well, until then.......

ChevyLee

TRX Fiend
Reaction score

What kind of air did you use? I only used purified triple filtered air when putting air in my tires. I want to that out that new ceramic air.

OP
S

Swayse

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Trx ordered
What kind of air did you use? I only used purified triple filtered air when putting air in my tires. I want to that out that new ceramic air.

Oh man, I’ve just been using regular filtered air, filtered through an SRT air filter but still normal air. I’m gonna have to look into this. 😁

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Name
Zack
Current Ride
2021 TRX
It’s way more noticeable in person so I urge everyone to try it. Cruise set around 50, manual mode in 6th gear. Flat or slight incline grade. Switch between auto and sport via the TRX screen on infotainment. 100% repeatable difference in tone while engine RPM and gear position remain exactly the same. It does come through in video but the wind noise obscured it a little.

It’s either the noise cancelling or maybe even a slight change in engine timing??? I have no idea but there’s something to this.

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
It’s way more noticeable in person so I urge everyone to try it. Cruise set around 50, manual mode in 6th gear. Flat or slight incline grade. Switch between auto and sport via the TRX screen on infotainment. 100% repeatable difference in tone while engine RPM and gear position remain exactly the same. It does come through in video but the wind noise obscured it a little.

It’s either the noise cancelling or maybe even a slight change in engine timing??? I have no idea but there’s something to this.
Thanks for posting, I did hear it on your video. In my experiment I was not in manual mode and in 8th gear, would make sense switching modes at a higher RPM would be easier to detect.

LordExplorer

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
‘19 Raptor (just sold), '20 Husky 701, '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE

Can definitely hear it in your vid, especially with ANC earphones in. The plot thickens…

Sammy88

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 trx
I have run my truck down the highway with the RPM’s at 1,500 and switched between Auto-Sport-Auto. I noticed a distinct change in “exhaust noise” with ZERO RPM changes. It has to be either augmented through the speakers or a change to the ANC because I’m sure it isn’t exhaust cutouts.
U ever think maybe it’s because when u put into sport mode the rpm goes up a little , creating more noise .

DocCNZ

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 AMG GT63 (Eurocharged Tune)
Current Ride #2
2021 RAM TRX
Weird, I'll try it as well, I will add to the theory!!! :D

midas360

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Dodge TRX
Sport mode revs those RPM's . You should notice it down shifting from Auto. You will hear the engine rev. Also, if you press the gass real quick and left off quick, you will hear the engine downshift and rev then correct too. When you do a 0-60 test from Auto to Sport you should see a big difference. Auto is like 0-60 5.1 secs, sport is like 0-60 4.5. I believe if you do the launch you will get some readings in the low to mid 3's if you are lucky. I have seen some pics of 0-60 in 3.1 secs.

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
As someone who was on the other side of the argument, its hilarious reading the responses, even with video evidence! At least my argument was that I personally could not detect it, not that the rpm changed. Wow. Sport holds the gears longer, no shit sherlock. Understand the scope of the experiment.

midas360

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Dodge TRX
As someone who was on the other side of the argument, its hilarious reading the responses, even with video evidence! At least my argument was that I personally could not detect it, not that the rpm changed. Wow. Sport holds the gears longer, no shit sherlock. Understand the scope of the experiment.
You mean like this kind of response? :)

"Typically, sport mode adjusts the car's throttle response, steering response, and shift points. If the car is an automatic, then putting it in sport mode will make the transmission shift later in the RPM range in order to make use of all of the car's power. "

Andris

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Andris Blumbergs
Military
Coast Guard
I have a MBRP with a muffler and I notice it for sure! I gave someone a ride in the truck and they asked if it had cut outs when I put it in sport.

JAG91

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
17 Powerwagon, 18 Trackhawk(SOLD), 02 Camaro SS
I am laughing at the irony here. What come around goes around. Now F8 can try his had at trying to explain this...lol

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
I am laughing at the irony here. What come around goes around. Now F8 can try his had at trying to explain this...lol
LOL! I still cannot personally hear it with my own ears in 8th gear, I haven't tried holding 6th yet like on the video.

Happypants

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn
Current Ride #2
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Disclaimer: i haven't investigated it, heard it, been near it, or even watched a video about it.

Given the clear differences in times auto vs sport something more than shift points is being changed. Also with some previous shift on the fly tunes experience in previous vehicles. I would bet good money that there is a timing change from one mode to the other, and possibly some other slight adjustments as well.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm stupid, just my .02 from reading this posting off and on for a while.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com