Sport mode, louder, how?

Swayse

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Trx ordered
I’m guessing y’all have played with different drive mods on your trx, and I hope you’ve noticed that sport is louder. I’m betting it’d be too much to assume you’ve crawled under the truck to see if it had exhaust valves. Well?

So, is the noise canceling software limiting the noise in the cab, or are we getting more noise pumped into the cabin in sport mode? I’m thinking the noise canceling software is limiting the noise in the “other than sport” modes. Thoughts?

If you haven’t noticed, please turn in your keys at the next trx get together, they have a Prius with your name on it, and we will be happy to give the trx a proper home.

jredecop

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Redeye charger widebody
😂

I sure hope they aren't using that awesome raptor tech...pumping in fake noise.

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Name
Zack
Current Ride
2021 TRX
I concluded it had to be the noise canceling. Glad I’m not the only one who noticed though.

JTR

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
Waiting for my ordered '22 TRX
I’m guessing y’all have played with different drive mods on your trx, and I hope you’ve noticed that sport is louder. I’m betting it’d be too much to assume you’ve crawled under the truck to see if it had exhaust valves. Well?

So, is the noise canceling software limiting the noise in the cab, or are we getting more noise pumped into the cabin in sport mode? I’m thinking the noise canceling software is limiting the noise in the “other than sport” modes. Thoughts?

If you haven’t noticed, please turn in your keys at the next trx get together, they have a Prius with your name on it, and we will be happy to give the trx a proper home.
You could always disable ANC altogether, this shows directions for the 8.4 system and it shouldn't be too much different for the 12":

Awood05

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Andrew
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2013 GT500 Vert; 2002 Lightning
Sport mode runs each gear longer in the RPM range, and your wondering why its louder? Is this a serious question?
I have run my truck down the highway with the RPM’s at 1,500 and switched between Auto-Sport-Auto. I noticed a distinct change in “exhaust noise” with ZERO RPM changes. It has to be either augmented through the speakers or a change to the ANC because I’m sure it isn’t exhaust cutouts.

Superbrowndude

TRX Junkie
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
17 Ram-Jay Greene Tuned
Current Ride #2
87 GN 10s in 1/4, 08 Cobalt SS, High 12s
That's why I mounted my cutouts under the cab, does it ever sound great while in sport mode and paddle down shifting!

Reactions: JTR
OP
S

Swayse

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Trx ordered
You could always disable ANC altogether, this shows directions for the 8.4 system and it shouldn't be too much different for the 12":

Yeah, I’ve messed with it on my 19 dt 1500, next time I have time I’ll try it on this one.

Reactions: JTR

Bambi

The Stripper Hunter
TRX of the Month
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
Range Rover Sport supercharged, F-150 FX4, Jeep Grand Cherokee
😂

I sure hope they aren't using that awesome raptor tech...pumping in fake noise.
69BFE8A0-A7B6-461C-A2F3-A458FF9260DC.jpeg

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Demon and 2021 Hydro Blue TRX
I have run my truck down the highway with the RPM’s at 1,500 and switched between Auto-Sport-Auto. I noticed a distinct change in “exhaust noise” with ZERO RPM changes. It has to be either augmented through the speakers or a change to the ANC because I’m sure it isn’t exhaust cutouts.
Didnt think this sounded right, and its not! Tried it today, cruise set at 62, flat ground, radio on mute: Sport, Auto, Sport, Auto. No change in sound.

MoparToYou

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Phil
Current Ride
2019 Ram 3500
Current Ride #2
2020 Dodge Challenger RT
Why wouldn't this be the same technology used in the Challenger? My wife's daily driver is just a lowly Challenger RT, but even it has a "sport" mode. The sport mode changes the exhaust note, and it is louder when in sport mode. I was told by the service department that there is an electronically controlled baffle in the exhaust that changes position when you push the button for sport mode.

I don't even have my TRX yet, and I don't know if the TRX exhaust is even close to similar. But it could be something that simple.

Awood05

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Name
Andrew
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2013 GT500 Vert; 2002 Lightning
Ok so after doing some research, I couldn’t find anything that says ”Yes Sport Mode does THIS”, however it seems that ANC is only part of the Harmon Kardon 19 Speaker Sound System option. Is it possible that those that experince this change in exhaust tone have the HK system and those that do not have the Alpine system?

Also I can find no evidence, both physically on my truck or on the Mopar websites, that our trucks come with Exhaust Cut-Outs.

F8Demon

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Dodge Demon and 2021 Hydro Blue TRX
Ok so after doing some research, I couldn’t find anything that says ”Yes Sport Mode does THIS”, however it seems that ANC is only part of the Harmon Kardon 19 Speaker Sound System option. Is it possible that those that experince this change in exhaust tone have the HK system and those that do not have the Alpine system?

Also I can find no evidence, both physically on my truck or on the Mopar websites, that our trucks come with Exhaust Cut-Outs.
I have the harmon kardon, I had it on mute in my experiment.

Steiger

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX Billet Silver level 2

ANC is on the Alpine system too

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Name
Zack
Current Ride
2021 TRX
As far as I know all Rams, even with the base 6 speaker system have ANC. But I have the Alpine.

I noticed the tone change on a few occasions and even googled around before this thread came about. I wasn’t mistaking downshifts / RPM changes for louder engine tone. And I’m pretty sure I’m not crazy. But I couldn’t really duplicate it today when I was switching back and forth. I dunno. Needs more experimenting. 🤔

HellcatTruck

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
C63 AMG
In my AMG c63, sport mode, changed everything. It hauled ass yes... but... it also got loud, burped, etc... I assumed a change in fuel ratio, valves? I have not noticed the same in the TRX but I immediately ripped out the factory stereo. I also very rarely run in sport mode (Houston Traffic).

TrxPhonz

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Challenger
Most likely engine sounds pumping through the speaker, I will disconnect anc when I get mines. I don’t want noise canceling speakers I want to hear it all 24/7😁

JAG91

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
17 Powerwagon, 18 Trackhawk(SOLD), 02 Camaro SS
I started a thread on this exact topic a little while back and we never really came to a conclusion. The general consensus was that it had something to do with the noise canceling. I would love to actually figure it out. I am glad to see that we have some movement away from the "mine doesn't do it, so yours can't be either". Lol My dad still thinks he hears fine too... 😄 F8 mentioned somthing interesting. He ran his test on mute. I never mute my stereo, just turn it to 0. I am going to check that out tomorrow.

tripleB

TRX Maniac
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
🦖
Completely a guess as it’s nearly 1am and I don’t want to go out to my truck to test this right now but I don’t think muting the stereo would have anything to do with ANC. Because all other audible alarms, door dings, etc still play through the stereo system even when it is muted so my guess is that the ANC is still functioning even with the “source” muted. In other words, it would be very strange inside the truck to mute the stereo and have it get “noisier” in the cab because that also turned off ANC.

On a side note something I noticed this UConnect does that my mega cab does not is that when you “mute” the SXM source it doesn’t actually mute but rather pauses the live music. Time shifting the live station and then resumes playing right where you left off when you unmute. I took a rather long phone call a while back and noticed the same song was playing when it resumed after I hung up. Pretty slick.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com