Skid Plate Black Out Option [CHEAP]

Biglife

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
I off-road my TRX so I didn't want to dump $1000 into a skid plate swap - especially since I'll likely change the bumper out in the near future. Instead, I paid my local shop $100 to paint the skid plate on the vehicle (taped it off, no overspray).

Thought some of you might be interested in this option. Photos below:
IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1626.jpg

Looks great and $100 is a smoking deal.

You can do it for a can of plastidip and about 1.5 hours of your time.

Not sure what paint they used but I would think it would chip supper easy down there and look like shit pretty quickly, for a $100 bucks though not a big deal I guess

Including installation on the vehicle?? When I looked into it, the skid plate was cheap, but the install wasn't.
It was free for me, asked them to do it when I picked up the truck and they did.

I off-road my TRX so I didn't want to dump $1000 into a skid plate swap - especially since I'll likely change the bumper out in the near future. Instead, I paid my local shop $100 to paint the skid plate on the vehicle (taped it off, no overspray).

Thought some of you might be interested in this option. Photos below:
View attachment 17290
View attachment 17291View attachment 17292View attachment 17293

Next time you do something to your truck ask everyone on here if it’s ok and how they would do it. Save yourself some time

Can you turn a wrench? It’s not rocket science lol
No and I also pee while sitting down.... But on a serious note, I heard it takes 4 hours for the install so $100 for a great solution that looks about the same seemed smart.

Attached a few pictures of where I went and what the skid plate looks like post adventure...

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1945.jpg
    IMG_1945.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 134
No and I also pee while sitting down.... But on a serious note, I heard it takes 4 hours for the install so $100 for a great solution that looks about the same seemed smart.

Attached a few pictures of where I went and what the skid plate looks like post adventure...
If it holds up even for a while for a $100 that’s great I’d be more concerned with traffic in front of you kicking up rocks not all by your lonesome on a trail

Looks great!

This is a bit off topic, but are ALL the skid plates drilled for a license plate? Even in states that don’t require it? I hate those holes.

If it holds up even for a while for a $100 that’s great I’d be more concerned with traffic in front of you kicking up rocks not all by your lonesome on a trail
That pic was taken after 2,000 miles of highway driving and off road excursions. I'll post an update at 10k miles if I remember

This is a bit off topic, but are ALL the skid plates drilled for a license plate? Even in states that don’t require it? I hate those holes.
Yes, they're pre-drilled unfortunately.

That pic was taken after 2,000 miles of highway driving and off road excursions. I'll post an update at 10k miles if I remember

Yes, they're pre-drilled unfortunately.
Like I said if it holds up that’s awesome can’t beat it for 100 bucks, if you could get some info off the guy who did it like what paint any kind of special primer or base coat

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back