HOT! Sandblast TRX Build W/ Mazzulla Offroad Suspension and King Shocks

Mazzulla Offroad

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Had to share this build completed by SoCal SuperTrucks using Mazzulla Offroad Billet Upper Control Arms, Rear Trailing Arms, and King Shocks. Here are a few pics as well as a link to our instagram to see a video of the details on this beautiful truck.

Mazzulla Offroad Instagram

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 11.45.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 11.46.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 11.46.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 11.46.42 AM.png

Please reach out if you have any questions or want to get your truck set up to take on anything like this one!

LDN

TRX Junkie
Gallery
Reaction score
Have always been curious, on non-OEM suspension, what happens with the dash and connect screen? Can you still select the different suspension modes, it just doesn't do anything? Do you get any errors?

OP
OP
Mazzulla Offroad

Mazzulla Offroad

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Have always been curious, on non-OEM suspension, what happens with the dash and connect screen? Can you still select the different suspension modes, it just doesn't do anything? Do you get any errors?
If you change the upper control arms or rear trailing arms, everything works still as the ride height sensors for the Bilsteins are still used.

If you replace the Bilsteins with Kings, they don't currently work with the suspension modes so you will get an error light on startup that goes away if you wait around 15 seconds or press OK on the steering wheel controls. King is working on their own active suspension adjustment system but it doesn't work with the factory settings yet. It will be very similar to SDI's E-clik from what I have seen so far.

All that said, the King 3.0" IBP up front and 3.5" 4-tube bypasses in the rear make the TRX a completely different animal in spite of no electronics. Tightens up on road driving and makes the TRX more capable offroad than most pre runner builds. I was incredibly surprised by how big of a difference the Kings made considering the stock setup's capabilities out of the box.

nabatron

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Rebl
Would switching out the upper control arms and rear trailing arms have any benefit with just running stock bilstein suspension setup?

Reactions: LDN

fkim119

TRX Member
Reaction score
How does it ride on pavement? The TRX does not seem to soak up little imperfections well. I drive it about 80% highway in the baja setting and wished the ride was better. Does it drive smoother?

OP
OP
Mazzulla Offroad

Mazzulla Offroad

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
Would switching out the upper control arms and rear trailing arms have any benefit with just running stock bilstein suspension setup?
The Bilstein shock will dictate the wheel travel and dampening characteristics only, our parts will correct the geometry, free up the suspension movement, and increase strength. The UCA and trailing arms will maximize the stock shock capabilities and allow the suspension to move without resistance of traditional bushings.

OP
OP
Mazzulla Offroad

Mazzulla Offroad

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
How does it ride on pavement? The TRX does not seem to soak up little imperfections well. I drive it about 80% highway in the baja setting and wished the ride was better. Does it drive smoother?
Those little imperfections won't be drastically different. The front does a better job of eliminating the chatter but I wouldn't say it is a night and day difference. The way the truck feels cornering and in the desert is where you'll notice the biggest differences.

For really small imperfections, your tire/wheel combination will have an impact as well. Lower profile and/or stiff sidewall tires make the small imperfections very noticeable. Even running tire pressure too high can make a difference.

Fifty

TRX Maniac
Gallery
Reaction score
Military
Zookeeper
I dont mean to hijack the thread but consider this: The Bilstein Spring rate in the front is 1100 lbs linear. Geiser and Eibach are almost identical. So to move the front wheel over a 1 inch tall crack on the road (lets assume the motion ratio of wheel to shock is .7) then it will take 800 lbs of force just to compress the spring (PLUS the amount of pressure to have the hock shaft enter the shock body and displace the fluid into the reservoir and past the valving)

The Kings use a 700 lb spring if I recall correctly. That means the tire will only need 490 lbs to compress that same inch crack. So a lot less likely to make the chassis rise if the correct Hertz arent met by speed of everything.

My pre coffee babbling means that the spring rate alone is going to make the ride softer and smoother. The valving, especially the high speed valving is going to tighten up things when that shaft moves at high speeds and then Kings "bypass" is really just an internal bump stop and works almost identical to bilstein except King uses a needle and port identical to the old SU carb fueling needle system.

The rears is a whole different story, but essentially you have spring plus shaft volume for the chatter which makes things smooth as butter because of the bypass, then it gets tighter and more controlled as you move into different zones.

A proper shock is an amazing thing, a proper shock set up right is a sexy thing, and a Mazzula has a reputation of not being a parts slinger but knowing their stuff. They will certainly make sure the shock comes right for your use. I heard they are working with King on a non bypass rear for the crowd that isnt as hard core but wants a better ride just not the full speed crazy powerline 10 tenths ride.

OP
OP
Mazzulla Offroad

Mazzulla Offroad

TRX Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
Ram TRX
I dont mean to hijack the thread but consider this: The Bilstein Spring rate in the front is 1100 lbs linear. Geiser and Eibach are almost identical. So to move the front wheel over a 1 inch tall crack on the road (lets assume the motion ratio of wheel to shock is .7) then it will take 800 lbs of force just to compress the spring (PLUS the amount of pressure to have the hock shaft enter the shock body and displace the fluid into the reservoir and past the valving)

The Kings use a 700 lb spring if I recall correctly. That means the tire will only need 490 lbs to compress that same inch crack. So a lot less likely to make the chassis rise if the correct Hertz arent met by speed of everything.

My pre coffee babbling means that the spring rate alone is going to make the ride softer and smoother. The valving, especially the high speed valving is going to tighten up things when that shaft moves at high speeds and then Kings "bypass" is really just an internal bump stop and works almost identical to bilstein except King uses a needle and port identical to the old SU carb fueling needle system.

The rears is a whole different story, but essentially you have spring plus shaft volume for the chatter which makes things smooth as butter because of the bypass, then it gets tighter and more controlled as you move into different zones.

A proper shock is an amazing thing, a proper shock set up right is a sexy thing, and a Mazzula has a reputation of not being a parts slinger but knowing their stuff. They will certainly make sure the shock comes right for your use. I heard they are working with King on a non bypass rear for the crowd that isnt as hard core but wants a better ride just not the full speed crazy powerline 10 tenths ride.
Definitely not hijacking the thread. This is a great explanation of the major differences in approach between the Bilstein and King shocks. The Bilstein is very capable out of the box but has some limiting factors related to compression damping in particular. It seems like Ram/Bilstein threw a really high spring rate coil to help compensate. This is why the TRX really shines the faster you go but can be a little rough/chattery at lower speeds. The Kings are true race series shocks that don't need any help damping and are able to run the lower spring rate. @Fifty added the additional technical details of how the Kings work and why they are a proper setup for anyone looking to push their TRX hard.

I appreciate the kind words and we have worked very hard to build that reputation. For anyone that isn't familiar with our products, we will never be first to market or throw out millions of units. We're focused on providing products that will perform the best. The TRX is a great example as it took us three revisions of the Billet Upper Control Arms to get the best possible suspension geometry. This was important because the final iteration, that is being sold now, allows you to maximize your investment in the Kings while still improving functionality for anyone keeping the Bilsteins.

The combination of our suspension components and the King IBP/rear bypasses make the TRX ridiculously capable. You'll be able to outrun nearly anything outside of race vehicles or $100k+ purpose built pre runners without sacrifices.

As for the non-bypass rear Kings, we'll keep everyone updated as information is available. In the meantime, we are working on the currently available bypasses to try and quiet them down.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping