Running boards and tonneau cover

T

TRX_Member271

Question.... not sure if I’m better off getting the mopar tonneau cover and the off-road style running boards From ram or getting both aftermarket? Are there better options? Would they be difficult to install? Would aftermarket void warranty or alter performance in any way? Thanks.

I went with the factory running boards so I don't have to mess with it later; but, I think a lot of folks here prefer the powered retractable boards. Also, the optional tri-fold tonneau cover from Ram is soft. i.e. don't get it.

Ok so no on the tonneau cover. Would that retractable running board be difficult to do for a self install? Thanks for the help.

I held off on running boards to get amp steps aftermarket. They have some compatible with three Ram 1500 so I'm hopeful it won't take too long to adapt some for the TRX

I held off on running boards to get amp steps aftermarket. They have some compatible with three Ram 1500 so I'm hopeful it won't take too long to adapt some for the TRX
Would they be difficult to install?

Amp Research makes 2 kinds of the retractable Steps that fit the Ram Rebel. I talked to Amp research today as we are looking to put together a group buy. They sent me up the later to Truck Hero which owners more than a dozen different companies that do all kinds of off-road addons. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing how to install and don’t look that tough if you are good with your hands. Would take a couple hours for me but only 60-90minutes for a hired professional.

was told by Amp Research that Truck Hero will know soon about having them fit the TRX. Was also told that Truck Hero would love to be associated with the TRX and RAM-TRX forum. Will keep everyone posted. Truck Hero also reps 6-7 truck bed cover companies alone.

Amp Research makes 2 kinds of the retractable Steps that fit the Ram Rebel. I talked to Amp research today as we are looking to put together a group buy. They sent me up the later to Truck Hero which owners more than a dozen different companies that do all kinds of off-road addons. There are a lot of YouTube videos showing how to install and don’t look that tough if you are good with your hands. Would take a couple hours for me but only 60-90minutes for a hired professional.

I have the mopar running boards in my order but was wondering if i should delete if the amp ones are better. Of course if it isnt too difficult to install and would not void the warranty. It seems a lot of people didnt check that box to install those retractable amp running boards.... I am also very interested in the tonneau cover, another thing i left intentionally. thanks for your replies Big B and KnightMare.

Here are some of the Brands that Truck Hero owns. It will be a good score if I can get us set up with them company wide.
ACEEB170-1679-4586-BD15-CAD35FC823A0.jpeg

was told by Amp Research that Truck Hero will know soon about having them fit the TRX. Was also told that Truck Hero would love to be associated with the TRX and RAM-TRX forum. Will keep everyone posted. Truck Hero also reps 6-7 truck bed cover companies alone.
I didn't get the tonneau cover or running boards becasue I want a roll up cover and wheel to wheel running boards. I'd be interested in what you work out with Truck Hero.

Reactions: Ryu
Just a heads up for those of you getting AMP and plan on going off road. Make sure you do some sort of PPF on the bedsides or mudflaps (I prefer the look of no flaps). Since the fenders and bedsides bulge (approximately) 3" past the cab on each side the rear bedsides act as a backstop for rocks. First thing I did with my Raptor was remove the oem running boards. One rip through the desert and had to repaint both bedsides.

Just a heads up for those of you getting AMP and plan on going off road. Make sure you do some sort of PPF on the bedsides or mudflaps (I prefer the look of no flaps). Since the fenders and bedsides bulge (approximately) 3" past the cab on each side the rear bedsides act as a backstop for rocks. First thing I did with my Raptor was remove the oem running boards. One rip through the desert and had to repaint both bedsides.

That's a GREAT point. there is a lot of meat that sticks outside the body...

I’m curious of what the rock rails look like in person.

OEM offroad runningboards should sheild the bedsides from flying rock right? Thats kinda why i selected them

Question.... not sure if I’m better off getting the mopar tonneau cover and the off-road style running boards From ram or getting both aftermarket? Are there better options? Would they be difficult to install? Would aftermarket void warranty or alter performance in any way? Thanks.
I went with the stock running boards they seem nice enough. For the cover though I've used Retrax on all my trucks. They make amazing retractable covers and they are built amazingly well. A bit expensive but for a truck like this only the best will do.

OEM offroad runningboards should sheild the bedsides from flying rock right? Thats kinda why i selected them

That would be my guess. The OEM ones on the Raptors do pretty well at blocking rocks but they have little "grip" holes in them allowing some stuff to get by.

I went with the stock running boards they seem nice enough. For the cover though I've used Retrax on all my trucks. They make amazing retractable covers and they are built amazingly well. A bit expensive but for a truck like this only the best will do.
++++ on the Retrax bed covers. In my opinion they are the best and most useful for the type of hauling / work that I do.

With the Retrax covers, do you ever find that the compartment where it retracts into an issue? Like, with space and not being able to load anything up flush against the back of the bed?

The rolled up compartment does take up a little bit of space, but it hasn't been an issue for me.
I like being able to put a large item in the bed and closing the cover as much as possible.
For example, I can put a mountain bike in the bed with just the front tire sticking out. I'll close the cover as far as it will go, lock the cover, and it protects most of the bike and keeps it secure.

Yes, I am looking hard at the RETRAX XR Pro so I get the rails for cycling and other things. Retrax is owned by Truck Hero, who I am getting with to see about forum discounts and group buys.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back