steve11ca

TRX Fanatic
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2023 TRX / 2019 2500 4X4 Cummins
Current Ride #2
Lucid Air GT (the anti-TRX)
My TRX is scheduled to ship early December so I expect it to arrive at Koons sometime in January. I'm debating driving versus shipping to Central Florida. For you guys with long road trips (500 miles plus) how did you deal with break in? I remember years ago I had to drive a brand new 1978 Corvette from Koons to CT and was told not to exceed 55 and to vary the speed. Not so easy to do on a straight highway stretch. Is break-in only a speed limitation or are there other things to be concerned with. Also, since I'm going to have PPF installed, I'm wondering if driving it "unprotected" for over 800 miles is a good idea. Cost really isn't an issue since I would have to fly in from CA to pick it up and pay for a night or 2 of hotels along the way. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Many on the forum have driven theirs back from out of state purchase and didn't seem to have any issues with break in other than people blowing by them on the interstate when they were only driving 55-60 mph😂

I chose to have mine shipped from the dealer in Illinois to my home in Florida. I preferred to have it at home so I could do the break in on my own schedule/terms and initially stay off the open highways. I think it is just a matter of preference, won't matter much either way.

Congrats on your truck, you are going to love it.

I actually drove mine back to Illinois from Koons. I stayed off of highways and took the scenic route through the hills of West Virginia until I hit a couple hundred miles (which was actually pretty fun - lots of hills and curves, not too fast). It was ready for faster speeds at that point and the rest was cake. I made sure to move the rpm range up and down as I drove.

I'm driving mine back from Granger to eastern OR. it's a lot cheaper than shipping it and I have collector car trailer queens already that's not what I'm buying this for.

I actually drove mine back to Illinois from Koons. I stayed off of highways and took the scenic route through the hills of West Virginia until I hit a couple hundred miles (which was actually pretty fun - lots of hills and curves, not too fast). It was ready for faster speeds at that point and the rest was cake. I made sure to move the rpm range up and down as I drove.
We would probably stop at Hilton Head so that would put an extra day, which certainly isn't an issue. I guess I would look for something about 250 miles south for a first night stopover.

I'm driving mine back from Granger to eastern OR. it's a lot cheaper than shipping it and I have collector car trailer queens already that's not what I'm buying this for.
It would probably cost me more to drive with having to fly from CA (with my wife). Cost isn't the issue for me. This isn't going to be a trailer queen, but I do want to protect it with PPF. I just don't want to show up with a bunch of road rash before it gets done.

It would probably cost me more to drive with having to fly from CA (with my wife). Cost isn't the issue for me. This isn't going to be a trailer queen, but I do want to protect it with PPF. I just don't want to show up with a bunch of road rash before it gets done.

I used that material from VA to NJ and it worked perfectly. Came off as easy as it was when I put it on. My truck is now wrapped in stealth PPF and the installer in NJ said it was good I did that because there were no chips/marks of any kind usually associated with a drive when he did the prep work/paint correction. I ordered it from Amazon and it was pretty cheap

I drove home to Maine from Wisconsin.
The cons- very lucky to not get run off the road by a tractor trailer while in Step 1 of break-in and on a 2-lane highway. I'm always very conscientious of truck drivers and I felt terrible in the right lane going 55, forcing them around me, when all they wanted to do was go the speed limit in the right lane.
I was out of Step 1, thankfully, but traffic in Chicago wasn't very conducive to the No-Idling mention for Step 1.
It's hard to time this, but would be nice to plan for no traffic or non-highway step 1.
The pros- by the time I got home, break-in was done, I'd learned the crazy amount of features, and ready to rip.

Granger to Phoenix, AZ (1500) miles. Broke in on the way to OK City varying the rpm too, next am went WFO. Truck was meant to be daily driven and enjoyed, drove unprotected and remains that way (unlike our three offspring born in less than 5yr and necessary vasectomy).

Took my 5yr old. Memories were priceless.

Last edited:
I think it would boil down to 2 things
1. Do you care about adding mileage, or early wear and tear.
2. Cost of driving vs shipping

I'm not going to put sandwich bags over it anyway it never works, but I am thinking about taking my mud flaps and putting them on before I leave Iowa.

I guess it depends on where you're headed but I'm going to be on the freeway 90% of the way, so as long as I'm not tailgating I shouldn't get much front damage.

The wear and tear is no different than going anywhere else. the 1600 miles means nothing since I'm not going to drive it that much anyway. the cost is lower for sure but for me this is just what I'd rather do. I'm pretty sure I can do less damage than the Russian who'll loads and unload it 15 times to get it here. I ship quite a few cars, the drivers aren't what they used to be.

My TRX is scheduled to ship early December so I expect it to arrive at Koons sometime in January. I'm debating driving versus shipping to Central Florida. For you guys with long road trips (500 miles plus) how did you deal with break in? I remember years ago I had to drive a brand new 1978 Corvette from Koons to CT and was told not to exceed 55 and to vary the speed. Not so easy to do on a straight highway stretch. Is break-in only a speed limitation or are there other things to be concerned with. Also, since I'm going to have PPF installed, I'm wondering if driving it "unprotected" for over 800 miles is a good idea. Cost really isn't an issue since I would have to fly in from CA to pick it up and pay for a night or 2 of hotels along the way. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.
While my road trip is much shorter than yours I had been struggling with this as well. I'm about 6 hours from Koons. First I thought I'll have it shipped. Then the boss said she woukd drive me up to get it. Didnt like the idea of her driving alone behind me all the way home. So then decided I'll just fly us both up the night before a d drive home. Well I'm on a plane every week for work. So we discussed it and assuming they are running we are going to take the train up the night before. Never been on a train figured we could make it an adventure. I'll take the scenic route back instead of the highway hoping that the first 100 miles goes quickly.

from VA (Koons) to CA based on your location is going to cost you 4k..you can drive it and pay 1.5k including ticket to fly there

from VA (Koons) to CA based on your location is going to cost you 4k..you can drive it and pay 1.5k including ticket to fly there
Taking it to Florida, not CA. Flying in from CA. Shipment to FL is $1600.

While my road trip is much shorter than yours I had been struggling with this as well. I'm about 6 hours from Koons. First I thought I'll have it shipped. Then the boss said she woukd drive me up to get it. Didnt like the idea of her driving alone behind me all the way home. So then decided I'll just fly us both up the night before a d drive home. Well I'm on a plane every week for work. So we discussed it and assuming they are running we are going to take the train up the night before. Never been on a train figured we could make it an adventure. I'll take the scenic route back instead of the highway hoping that the first 100 miles goes quickly.
Starting to think it might be a fun adventure. Going to look up a route (scenic). Probably starting to lean in this direction. This is an area of the country I haven't driven yet.

I think it would boil down to 2 things
1. Do you care about adding mileage, or early wear and tear.
2. Cost of driving vs shipping
1. I don't.
2. Probably a wash.
Starting to think it might be a fun adventure. This is an area of the country I haven't driven before.

1. I don't.
2. Probably a wash.
Starting to think it might be a fun adventure. This is an area of the country I haven't driven before.
If I had the time, I would drive mine..it was 2300 miles away...it would've taken me just 2 days tops.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back