steve11ca

steve11ca

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins
Current Ride #2
Lucid Air GT (the anti-TRX)
OK, I think it's going to be a road trip. Virginia to Nags Head, to Myrtle Beach, to Hilton Head, to Orlando. Scenic route up until Hilton Head to Orlando.

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 4.50.34 PM.png

esm

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
You only live once, make a vacation out of it. Try to keep the stints to 8hr or less but I think 6hrs or less is better. Also depends on which cities you want to stay in. I didn't worry about MPH on the break-in period, just didn't floor it as much as I normally would.

Biggest negative is theft. Maybe you can work out a Ravelco install or similar. Or stay at resorts that have security and valets that are trustworthy. Only the front edge of the hood and the painted plastic under the headlights get visible rock chips.

OP
OP
steve11ca

steve11ca

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
You only live once, make a vacation out of it. Try to keep the stints to 8hr or less but I think 6hrs or less is better. Also depends on which cities you want to stay in. I didn't worry about MPH on the break-in period, just didn't floor it as much as I normally would.

Biggest negative is theft. Maybe you can work out a Ravelco install or similar. Or stay at resorts that have security and valets that are trustworthy. Only the front edge of the hood and the painted plastic under the headlights get visible rock chips.
Looks like about 300 miles or less per day. Should be a pretty easy drive. I'm used to driving our motor home longer stints. This should be way more fun (and easier to find a place to park :ROFLMAO:) We will stay at some nice resorts as well.

04Ram2500Hemi

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
I had mine shipped. After figuring out the cost to drive to the dealer with my trade, get a hotel, and then drive back it was almost the exact same cost to have it shipped. It also saved me two days of driving time. Plus after unloading my TRX they loaded up my trade and took it back with them.

RedEyeTRX

TRX Maniac
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 RAM TRX (Flame Red)
Current Ride #2
2019 Hellcat Redeye (Sold), 2016 C7 Z06 (Sold), 2015 ZX-14R (Sold)
I have flown out, picked up and driven home many cars over the years.
I had my HC RE shipped to a dealership from Troy MI, without an issue.
Knowing what I know now, I would do the following next time:
1. Fly out, pick it up and drive home.
OR
2. Fly out, pick it up, meet with the shipper, get it on the truck and fly home.

I want to personally inspect every car I buy, before the shipper puts it on the car carrier. That way, if something goes sideways I have 100% information to deal with and not get caught up in the "finger pointing" noise. Also, get a copy of your shippers insurance documents and CALL the insurance company to ensure the policy is valid (the scams are everywhere). Just my 2 cents.

Russ103

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
2019 Raptor
It would probably cost me more to drive with having to fly from CA (with my wife). Cost isn't the issue for me. This isn't going to be a trailer queen, but I do want to protect it with PPF. I just don't want to show up with a bunch of road rash before it gets done.
I drove my Raptor from MD to Naples FL and back going 90mph the majority of the time and didn’t get a single chip/rash of any kind. Of course that’s not a guarantee, but I’d say it would be nice to get the break in period done and over with ASAP.

I also don’t believe that you have to adhere to the 55mph limit, that’s just not realistic. I think normal speeds are fine, just don’t accelerate any faster then a Prius on your way to hitting the flow of traffic, and the tranny will shift at low enough RPM.

I’m about an hour away from Koons, for when my pickup day comes… hopefully before next Christmas.

maestro5531

TRX Fan
Reaction score
I left suburbs of Chicago at 4am, drove to Dan Cummins Georgetown KY, picked up the TRX and we were home by 7pm. First 100 or so miles I stayed under 60mph and then drove 70-75mph the rest of the way.

DIN0ZR

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC
I drove 700 miles home from Koons. I just did the break in procedure as best I could on the way home. The first 200 miles were definitely trying, right lane at 55 mph. I want to inspect a new vehicle whenever I buy one—especially one of this price. If there’s incidental damage or defects when it arrives from a shipper, there will be no way to get either dealer or shipper to take responsibility. They will point fingers at each other and you will have no way to prove anything. I’ve also had a Jeep be transported and the trailer jackknifed, destroying the Jeep. So I guess I’m a little squeamish on shipping.

OP
OP
steve11ca

steve11ca

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Current Ride #2
I drove 700 miles home from Koons. I just did the break in procedure as best I could on the way home. The first 200 miles were definitely trying, right lane at 55 mph. I want to inspect a new vehicle whenever I buy one—especially one of this price. If there’s incidental damage or defects when it arrives from a shipper, there will be no way to get either dealer or shipper to take responsibility. They will point fingers at each other and you will have no way to prove anything. I’ve also had a Jeep be transported and the trailer jackknifed, destroying the Jeep. So I guess I’m a little squeamish on shipping.
Makes sense. We are going to turn it into a road trip visiting places along the coast. Once we leave Hilton Head it will be full speed ahead on the highway with break-in already done.

Two

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
I want to inspect a new vehicle whenever I buy one—especially one of this price.
Me too. And especially before driving it.

That's why after getting it home it goes on the lift to check fluids, fasteners, etc. Then the break-in of gears and such can begin.

Yes. it's a 900-mile round trip, so a bit of a long day, but well worth it I think.
DSCN3996.JPG

JBTRXNJ

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Diamond Black TRX
My TRX is scheduled to ship early December so I expect it to arrive at Koons sometime in January. I'm debating driving versus shipping to Central Florida. For you guys with long road trips (500 miles plus) how did you deal with break in? I remember years ago I had to drive a brand new 1978 Corvette from Koons to CT and was told not to exceed 55 and to vary the speed. Not so easy to do on a straight highway stretch. Is break-in only a speed limitation or are there other things to be concerned with. Also, since I'm going to have PPF installed, I'm wondering if driving it "unprotected" for over 800 miles is a good idea. Cost really isn't an issue since I would have to fly in from CA to pick it up and pay for a night or 2 of hotels along the way. Constructive feedback is greatly appreciated.
It’s not just limiting speed to 55 for the first 500 miles…

You want to vary the RPM, vary the speed, etc. the idea is to ensure gears sit properly.

If I were doing the trip, I would plan a few detours through local roads, plan out some pit stops, etc. you don’t need to go crazy, but simply throwing cruise control on doesn’t allow the components to heat up and cool down which is a part of the process.

DIN0ZR

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Military
USMC
It’s not just limiting speed to 55 for the first 500 miles…

You want to vary the RPM, vary the speed, etc. the idea is to ensure gears sit properly.

If I were doing the trip, I would plan a few detours through local roads, plan out some pit stops, etc. you don’t need to go crazy, but simply throwing cruise control on doesn’t allow the components to heat up and cool down which is a part of the process.
I did a few side roads, stopped a lot more than normal, ate some waffle house and had some coffee, used the shifter in manual mode to run through the RPMs (when break-in procedure allowed it). Made an 11 hour drive into a 14 hour drive, but I got her home. To be perfectly fair, I did not achieve the break-in procedure as well as I would have if the truck were delivered to my home. I suppose that's a consideration. I think I got it done 80% as well as I would have at home.

Two

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Thankfully I'm on a road with very little traffic on it, leading to a lake some 10 miles away.

A leisurely round trip of 20 miles is pretty much perfect for getting a bit of heat in the gears, then let them cool down at home. Repeating that five times and I'm ready to start the break-in recommended in the manual.

Once done, 80 to 100 mph is pretty much the norm, and it's extra nice with a quiet drive train. Blower whine I like, diff gear whine, not so much.

fletchnighthawk

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
Toyota Tacoma
Just made this trip (almost). Flew up at 6:45am. Picked the truck up from Koons at 10am. Drove it straight back to Tallahassee.

Driving on the highway sucked at 55mph. Richmond had a bunch of traffic. Found myself occasionally going 5-10mph over the break in speed limits. I think my drive went from 12 to 14-15 hrs with the extra stops and traffic.

Don’t know much about PPF since I still haven’t gotten it done. I’m guessing it’ll just cost more if there’s more prep to be done?

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com DanCumminsCDJR.com OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com airRyd auto shipping