Road to 1000whp - Dynos included

I think everyone would gain a lot of knowledge on here if they spent some time watching banks power youtube on building power on a duramax. Its a diesel but a lot of the basic things apply. I learned a lot on a sti turbo on compressing air and power. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I never got payed to boost cars or anything. Just another hobbyist who loves power. So my thinking on the spacers is since the blower is compressing air its generating heat its self. So the spacer plates is not going to do a hole lot as far as cooling goes. Especially when your running pulleys and running more boost. On the sti it was huge but the hot air was cooled before it went into the aluminum intake and the runners were about 20 inches long so the hot plenum had more time to transfer heat. I was thinking of getting one of those inner chiller set ups where it uses the ac to cool the blowers after cooler water circuit and in my mind all this would do is cool the air and help prevent predetonation. The power you would gain would be from timing not so much denser air as its after the blower. The more presure you create the more heat you create.
Now on to the headers. Id say it was a good idea with your mods. There doing a lot more then making noise. Your blower is a fixed displacement pump and it moves a volume of air per rotation. The pulleys are increasing the rpms and the pump is moving more air. Pressure is created by the resistance to the flow of air. The side affects of that resistance and pressure is heat. So the headers and exhaust helped reduce some of the systems resistance to flow of air. There by allowing the blower to move the same amount of air with less heat and pressure allowing more timing and or safety margin. The blower may even move a bit more air due to what ever losses there are of air slipping past the screws would be less due to the air being denser and at a lower psi. Air density is the key to power and figuring out how to get there efficiently is the key in my mind. You can crank up a blower but at some point it gets to a point of diminishing returns.
on the intake note im waiting for afe’s intake as well. I just cant see pulling 180 engine bay heat into the air intake and asking the blower to heat it up more. Most cold air intakes should be called hot air intakes. Afe has the right idea in my opnion and they told me they plan on having a dino sheet once there testing is done. I think theres a reason the other companys don't have that. If your drag racing and you keep your temps down it would help but everyday driving it get hot in there. Maybe thats why bwoody has a special harness for the intake temp. Its says in the description some comstomers are getting intake over temp and a harness fixes it? Im no pro so correct me if I'm wrong on anything.
Yeah a lot of good points here - the plan is to put the lower in, run tests, if we still have headroom and aren't pulling a ton of timing throw the 2.75 and see how that does. From there I can look into potential cooling options like the Interchiller as well as wait for the aFe intake to come out. Being the "first" so to speak has it's cons, still waiting for a lot of these TRX specific parts to come out.

Yeah a lot of good points here - the plan is to put the lower in, run tests, if we still have headroom and aren't pulling a ton of timing throw the 2.75 and see how that does. From there I can look into potential cooling options like the Interchiller as well as wait for the aFe intake to come out. Being the "first" so to speak has it's cons, still waiting for a lot of these TRX specific parts to come out.

are you using HP Tuners ?

are you using HP Tuners ?
Yep.

So today I ordered the uppers and the aFe intake. We got 2.75 and 2.65, figured we'd try both and see where we end up.

If at the end of the day, the 2.75 runs safely without pulling timing, I'll keep the 2.65 for track days and have a separate E85 map.

Mind you - I was against E85 day 1 as this truck is my DD and it took very little convincing to have me change my mind to at least accept it as a secondary map I can utilize when I feel like it.

Yep.

So today I ordered the uppers and the aFe intake. We got 2.75 and 2.65, figured we'd try both and see where we end up.

If at the end of the day, the 2.75 runs safely without pulling timing, I'll keep the 2.65 for track days and have a separate E85 map.

Mind you - I was against E85 day 1 as this truck is my DD and it took very little convincing to have me change my mind to at least accept it as a secondary map I can utilize when I feel like it.
I’m sure you probably know more than me on the subject, but I was also interested in having an E85 map and a pump map and being able to switch between the two. (I’m at elevation so the E85 offers big benefits up here). My local shop which deals with a ton of high HP Hellcat upgrades, warned me that the flex fuel option for the hellcat was finicky at best. They said unlike the LS flex fuel options where you can mix and the map will figure out what’s best, you’d need to essentially empty the tank completely on the hellcat before switching fuels, which was a non starter for me.

if you know of a true flex fuel option that allows you to easily switch between the two, please let me know!!

I’m sure you probably know more than me on the subject, but I was also interested in having an E85 map and a pump map and being able to switch between the two. (I’m at elevation so the E85 offers big benefits up here). My local shop which deals with a ton of high HP Hellcat upgrades, warned me that the flex fuel option for the hellcat was finicky at best. They said unlike the LS flex fuel options where you can mix and the map will figure out what’s best, you’d need to essentially empty the tank completely on the hellcat before switching fuels, which was a non starter for me.

if you know of a true flex fuel option that allows you to easily switch between the two, please let me know!!
Nope my tuner told me with HP tuners I’ll have to use my laptop, switch maps and drain the fuel. Pretty easy to do but obviously not as convenient as flex fuel.

Nope my tuner told me with HP tuners I’ll have to use my laptop, switch maps and drain the fuel. Pretty easy to do but obviously not as convenient as flex fuel.
Thoughts on just running an auxiliary fuel tank that can be switched to? Plenty of space under the truck to mount a small tank for e85. When your racing you don’t need that much.

Yep.

Will you have to up the Injector cc to take on E-85? Or do you have enough headroom on Injector Duty Cycle?

Will you have to up the Injector cc to take on E-85? Or do you have enough headroom on Injector Duty Cycle?
I’ll see what my headroom is on 93 and make the call on going from 1050 to 1300. Of course everyone will say I should’ve just started with the 1300’s, but you live and learn I guess.

Better cold start from this AM, waiting on an iPhone boom mic and a friend to help with some videos pulling off, driving by etc.

Inside the truck
Do you think the Magnaflow exhaust is good and worth it, or do you wish you went with something else?
I am still trying to decide which way to go and know the magnaflow is overpriced, but if it sounds good then its worth it. Haven't been ablate make up my mind listening to it in videos.

Also, what are you running it in the muffler delete or straight pipe set up?

Do you think the Magnaflow exhaust is good and worth it, or do you wish you went with something else?
I am still trying to decide which way to go and know the magnaflow is overpriced, but if it sounds good then its worth it. Haven't been ablate make up my mind listening to it in videos.

Also, what are you running it in the muffler delete or straight pipe set up?
Running in the straight pipe (aka the "xTREME delete") set up. Do I think it was worth the money - No because I don't think any truck exhaust is worth $3k, but would I have done anything differently? Also no, because I'm still convinced it's the best sound out there for this truck right now, and I've heard most options in person at this point.

Well, just got back from my honeymoon to find that aFe pushed their intake system waay back to 3/31/22. Apparently it didn't give the +28HP gains they're claiming on their website so it's back to R&D to work the kinks out. Unfortunate, but it figures. I have my 2.75 pulley ready to go, looking into what it would cost me to swap my ID 1050 injectors for 1300's and run ethanol with the 2.65 pulley, as I bought both the 2.65 and 2.75. 2.85 is still currently on the truck.

Well, just got back from my honeymoon to find that aFe pushed their intake system waay back to 3/31/22. Apparently it didn't give the +28HP gains they're claiming on their website so it's back to R&D to work the kinks out. Unfortunate, but it figures. I have my 2.75 pulley ready to go, looking into what it would cost me to swap my ID 1050 injectors for 1300's and run ethanol with the 2.65 pulley, as I bought both the 2.65 and 2.75. 2.85 is still currently on the truck.
Congrats on the honeymoon!

S&B is testing fitment for their intake too. At least you have options.

I’d be interested in the 1050 injectors…. 😎

Congrats on the honeymoon!

S&B is testing fitment for their intake too. At least you have options.
Thanks man, Hawaii was a blast. Drove a Camaro SS convertible for a week, man what a POS :ROFLMAO: glad to be home to my baby TRX.

I didn't know S&B was developing one as well, I signed up for updates. First company to release theirs gets my money!

Thanks man, Hawaii was a blast. Drove a Camaro SS convertible for a week, man what a POS :ROFLMAO: glad to be home to my baby TRX.

I didn't know S&B was developing one as well, I signed up for updates. First company to release theirs gets my money!
They reached out to me today since I am pretty local for a test fitment. I don't have my truck yet but luckily @nickinfleet is going there to test fit with his truck.

S&B is definitely working on something. We might get a little Easter egg special too but they are still making decisions. The good news is they are taking the time to develop something great and are aiming to have us a great working product by March of next year.

Back