Road to 1000whp - Dynos included

10mpg

Now 7mpg on E85
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX Granite Metallic
Just wanted to post where I'm at currently - I finally picked up my truck up yesterday after having it in the shop for the past 5ish weeks as it underwent major surgery for the first round of modifications.

Mods:
Ported blower
Kong 108mm throttle body
Metco 2.85 pulley / HD Green Belt
Custom grind cams (Comp)
ARH Headers / Midpipe (with high flow GSport 850 cats)
Magnaflow XMOD Catback
ID1050 injectors
Tune via HP Tuners (ECU/TCM - changed redline to 6500RPM)
+all the supporting mods required to make this thing work

All in all - we're looking at essentially 11k in parts and 5k in labor - and a lot of that was between the XMOD exhaust (which was severely overpriced) and the ARH headers/mid pipe were $2600 combined - most of these gains can be achieved for less, but I also wanted the truck to be loud as hell so I consider it worth the cost (or at least that's what I tell myself) :ROFLMAO:
ZicIbRl.png

The beauty of this is that we've made over 160whp from baseline (597whp/568tq) and we're only running 14psi, as we lost approx 1-1.5lbs of boost from adding the headers, so there is still plenty of headroom here. The next steps are moving to a 2.65 or 2.5 pulley and a better intake system (either waiting for the aFe or having one fabricated) - I believe ~800whp is not out of the question for a stock blower setup on 93 oct. This is my DD so E85 was a no-go for me.

I only got the truck back yesterday so I have not had time yet to track it and see what times I'm running but that will be forthcoming - I'll update this thread and add some videos ASAP.

you're going to need to change your handle to 5mpg :ROFLMAO:
I'll be watching the avg MPG over the next couple of weeks to see what happens, fingers crossed it's not much worse. I would wholeheartedly agree with you if I was running an E85 setup.

Didn't want to do the Redeye blower? That should net you more gains without going to E85

Didn't want to do the Redeye blower? That should net you more gains without going to E85
I think we're already there by porting the regular blower. IIRC regular Hellcat supercharger is 11PSI and the Redeye is 14PSI, which is what I'm currently making. Pulley swap for more boost is all I can do now. I saw Kenne Belle might have a supercharger option but with what I've already put into it, it'll likely stay with the stock blower setup unless I have such a massive cash influx (I won't) that I decide to scrap what we've already done and move up in the world.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's my daily driver and want to be able to run 93. Guys I talked to about porting throttle body and snout said I'd have to run an even bigger pulley as to not make to much boost for 93 octane.

I'm in the same boat as you. It's my daily driver and want to be able to run 93. Guys I talked to about porting throttle body and snout said I'd have to run an even bigger pulley as to not make to much boost for 93 octane.
I'll be the guinea pig here - it's just a matter of when as I wanted to get the aFe intake system in as well, which has an estimated timeline of November, otherwise I could go ahead and do the pulley swaps and see what 2.65 and 2.5 can do on 93 - I'd prefer to do both in 1 shot for labor estimate purposes. Eventually we'll hit a wall with 93, but it's worth trying to find out what's possible.

You're pretty much at the wall on safe pump. Our platform has been tested for 6 years now.15-17lbs is about the limit on pump 93, at sea level. Any more and you have to pull timing and watch for heat. That's where e85 helps as it cools compared to 93. I'd say a 2.65 is doable with all of your other mods, but you're really asking for trouble on pump, imo.

I know HHP recommends a 2.85 upper on pump without the port, headers, cam.

You're pretty much at the wall on safe pump. Our platform has been tested for 6 years now.15-17lbs is about the limit on pump 93, at sea level. Any more and you have to pull timing and watch for heat. That's where e85 helps as it cools compared to 93. I'd say a 2.65 is doable with all of your other mods, but you're really asking for trouble on pump, imo.

I know HHP recommends a 2.85 upper on pump without the port, headers, cam.
Appreciate the response. With where I am at right now, do you think there would be any noticeable difference having a fabricated 5" intake or using the Bwoody one? The aFe system looks like it could potentially do more, I could wait for that as well, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the investment in any kind of higher flow intake and what I would see out of it based on what I've already done.

This is new to me. I read that you lost boost when you added headers. Is that because of less back pressure or something else? Given that, is adding headers actually a bad thing to do? I realize these are probably stupid questions to you but I sincerely want to know

This is new to me. I read that you lost boost when you added headers. Is that because of less back pressure or something else? Given that, is adding headers actually a bad thing to do? I realize these are probably stupid questions to you but I sincerely want to know
From what I know, you do see a boost drop because of less back pressure, but the headers make up for it - the loss of boost does not equate to loss of power. It is an efficiency increase. The way to get the boost back is to run a size smaller pulley, which is what I wish I would have done in the first place now.

Appreciate the response. With where I am at right now, do you think there would be any noticeable difference having a fabricated 5" intake or using the Bwoody one? The aFe system looks like it could potentially do more, I could wait for that as well, but I'm wondering if it's even worth the investment in any kind of higher flow intake and what I would see out of it based on what I've already done.
I think the stock air intake leaves much to be gained (especially if you are sucking as much air as your current set up is), if times are important to you. IMO, at least .1-.2 at the track, maybe more with you have the ported snout and TB. Those stock filters are very thick and slightly restrictive if you do not need the sand filtration. As soon as more competitors come to play, the air intake system on my truck is gone my friend.

Since you already have a fabricated 5 inch, I would continue to fab the intake to utilize a larger cone filter like the BWoody. You are halfway there.

From what I know, you do see a boost drop because of less back pressure, but the headers make up for it - the loss of boost does not equate to loss of power. It is an efficiency increase. The way to get the boost back is to run a size smaller pulley, which is what I wish I would have done in the first place now.
Thanks for taking the time to educate me

Cam? Wow, you went deep into it. I'm assuming that all mods were done at once? I'm curious how much a cam makes on its own.

Nice to see someone pushing the envelope!
Yeah all done at once minus the Magnaflow. Baseline dyno was done with only the MF, 759whp was done with everything else.

Yeah all done at once minus the Magnaflow. Baseline dyno was done with only the MF, 759whp was done with everything else.
Are those rwd or awd dyno numbers? I’m looking at a pump gas build too.

How does she drive?

How does she drive?
rwd. front driveshaft disconnected to do pulls on the rwd dyno. accounting for 17% drivetrain loss that puts us around 890 @ crank.

She drives great, I have yet to notice any negative impact to normal driving minus a very minor bit of hesitation when right near a complete stop when I'm rolling at like 1-2mph which I am pretty sure is related to the cam. Once I reach a complete stop or accelerate at all there's no issue, I only noticed it in a very slow moving line dropping my kid off at school. The intention was to keep this a DD friendly vehicle so I am very impressed with the way it turned out.

How does she drive?
We need to make project TRX a 1200hp trophy truck...

Back