Retrax One XR install

CustomPerformance

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
I had time to do a Retrax One XR install at my In-laws house this Thanksgiving weekend, and thought I would post up some finished product pics. It was very easy to install, but it helps to have a couple of extra people to help lift it into place. The instructions are very clear, but here is a Cliff's Notes recap:
  1. Unbox everything. The canister comes one box, and the side rails and hardware in another box.
  2. Remove the two white plastic clips that hold the cover in place in the canister. These clips essentially just keep it from unrolling during shipping.
  3. Attach the two side rails to the canister. I set the canister on the tailgate, and then had a cart with a box on it a few feet behind the truck to help hold the ends of the rails while we worked on it.
  4. Attach the front trim piece to the canister. This is the trim piece that has the weather stripping on it that goes on the front edge of the bed beneath the rear window.
  5. Lift the whole thing up and into place in the bed making sure the weather strip piece up by the rear window lays flat on the top rail of the bed at the front.
  6. Loosely attach all of the clamps (4 of them).
  7. Take measurements to make sure the rails are the same distance apart from each other (instructions show how).
  8. If they are not the same then use the white "screws" that are in each rail to adjust them.
  9. Tighten the clamps down, and recheck your measurements.
  10. Install drain tubes. *Make sure you put the rubber gaskets on each plastic fitting before inserting them into the hole. Otherwise it's a PITA to get them back out in order to put the rubber gasket on. Ask me how I know...
I'm VERY pleased with this cover so far. I think it looks really good on the truck, and the install was straightforward and not too difficult. I think it took an hour and a half, but after doing one you could do it much faster knowing what steps to take.

I haven't ordered the accessory rails for the cover yet, but I like the fact that you can get rails that will work for holding things like a bike rack and they are integrated into the cover already.
IMG_4491 2.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG

Johnkn

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
I have a Retrax Pro (not XR) on my Raptor and really like it. Do they cover the stake pockets on the TRX? Thanks

Termite

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Black TRX level 2
Current Ride #2
2018 Volvo V90 CC
I have a Retrax Pro (not XR) on my Raptor and really like it. Do they cover the stake pockets on the TRX? Thanks

The Retrax does not cover the stake holes, but for maybe 1/4” of rail overhang. I finished mine with covers from Amazon…
4786B935-FB3B-43B7-B2A1-CB6C69DF3C3A.jpeg

OP
OP
CustomPerformance

CustomPerformance

TRX Fiend
Reaction score

As Termite said, it only covers a little bit of the rear pockets. Those stake pocket covers he put on look good. I might have to look into those to complete the look.

OP
OP
CustomPerformance

CustomPerformance

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Im digging your garage
That's actually my Father-in-law's garage, and I'm jealous of it for sure. I've got a similar size shop, but it's not out back from my house where I can walk to it whenever I want to work on something. I really enjoy going up there for the holidays and taking projects to work on. Luckily he enjoys working on projects as well, so I don't feel like I'm burdening him everytime I drag something up there to work on!

Big B

TRX Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2011 Honda Element
I had time to do a Retrax One XR install at my In-laws house this Thanksgiving weekend, and thought I would post up some finished product pics. It was very easy to install, but it helps to have a couple of extra people to help lift it into place. The instructions are very clear, but here is a Cliff's Notes recap:
  1. Unbox everything. The canister comes one box, and the side rails and hardware in another box.
  2. Remove the two white plastic clips that hold the cover in place in the canister. These clips essentially just keep it from unrolling during shipping.
  3. Attach the two side rails to the canister. I set the canister on the tailgate, and then had a cart with a box on it a few feet behind the truck to help hold the ends of the rails while we worked on it.
  4. Attach the front trim piece to the canister. This is the trim piece that has the weather stripping on it that goes on the front edge of the bed beneath the rear window.
  5. Lift the whole thing up and into place in the bed making sure the weather strip piece up by the rear window lays flat on the top rail of the bed at the front.
  6. Loosely attach all of the clamps (4 of them).
  7. Take measurements to make sure the rails are the same distance apart from each other (instructions show how).
  8. If they are not the same then use the white "screws" that are in each rail to adjust them.
  9. Tighten the clamps down, and recheck your measurements.
  10. Install drain tubes. *Make sure you put the rubber gaskets on each plastic fitting before inserting them into the hole. Otherwise it's a PITA to get them back out in order to put the rubber gasket on. Ask me how I know...
I'm VERY pleased with this cover so far. I think it looks really good on the truck, and the install was straightforward and not too difficult. I think it took an hour and a half, but after doing one you could do it much faster knowing what steps to take.

I haven't ordered the accessory rails for the cover yet, but I like the fact that you can get rails that will work for holding things like a bike rack and they are integrated into the cover already.
View attachment 28211View attachment 28212
Any chance you have the factory sprayed in bed liner with factory cargo rails attached on sides of bed? Want to know if I need to shorten the rails to fit the canister. Thanks for info

OP
OP
CustomPerformance

CustomPerformance

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Any chance you have the factory sprayed in bed liner with factory cargo rails attached on sides of bed? Want to know if I need to shorten the rails to fit the canister. Thanks for info
I have both bedliner and cargo rails. Fits in there just fine. You do have to slide the forward most attachments back to clear the canister but that’s it.

kyle2day

TRX Fanatic
Reaction score
Current Ride
19 Rebel
Military
Navy
How’s the one vs the pro for quality? I don’t do anything crazy so thinking 1 over the pro

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM Morton Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM EBC Brakes StopwatchUSA.com