Remove restrictive air filter and test HP increase.

If the 20% loss holds true that's 140. Need to look up what impact forced induction has on that.

I don’t believe them. If I got 10-15 out of a new cai/filter I would be really happy let alone just a filter change. Do you have a 4 wheel dyno near you? Go test it. I would be curious as to the result.
False advertising say it isn't true!

PNG image.png

Do they even make a K & N replacement air filter for the TRX yet? I checked their website and they don’t even have a Ram 6.2L listed.

Perf shop said, they would hook up computer and grab all the data from the truck, O2 sensors, intake, fuel...etc.
1) Do a stock dyno run with stock filters and air box lid on capture data.
2) Do a dyno run with filters removed with air box lid on and capture data.
3) Do a dyno run with filters removed and air box lid off and capture data.

Kinda shows you what the stock air box is really capable of. That would give a good idea of how much air is getting thru, temps..etc.

Then get a unlocked PCM and make tuning adjustments if there is an opportunity to and retest. Then start mods.

If the BWoody air box removal and adding one side air intake directly to throttle body, really added 320CFM, I would assume some clear mesh air box top allowing even more air in vs Bwoody intake, due to sheer size of air box top, but the intake temp will be interesting variable.

I think this is what vendors are testing now.

Sorry but in no car I have ever owned do you get 10-15% more power from swapping a filter.

i’ll try it when I get on a dyno first time
As painful as it is, i’ve got to agree with Bambi on this one 3-5 is about the best you’ll gain. Which from a fuel mileage perspective would be positive. An engine is just a large vacuum, in order to get the most it’s a combination of not just pulling in air more easily but releasing the air pressure as well. Hence the intake and exhaust would net a better result than intake alone.

As painful as it is, i’ve got to agree with Bambi on this one 3-5 is about the best you’ll gain. Which from a fuel mileage perspective would be positive. An engine is just a large vacuum, in order to get the most it’s a combination of not just pulling in air more easily but releasing the air pressure as well. Hence the intake and exhaust would net a better result than intake alone.
Yeah, more like 10-15 HP not %, but i’m noit sure the HP is the biggest issue for simple changes. If some better breathing gives a little more mpg, it would be helpful on road trips, overlanding and similar.

K&N is usually on top of getting new filters out.

Thats a pretty funny statement right there, you would probably end up losing HP if you just remove your airfilter as the calibration will not be optimized to the changed intake track.

There are a lot better options to get hp, than removing your airfilter, and safer ones too!
Send picture of the bird that gets sucked in.......

You are basically correct, but PD blowers benefit highly from reducing inlet restrictions as much as possible, more than going from a 2"-3" exhaust primary would. That is why you see polished/ported snouts with large TB's making good power, and in some cases doing it with less boost. The exhaust will help with improving flow of course, but the bigger benefit is the heat escaping out of the motor as quickly as possible, allowing more timing potentially.

Even a K&N would filter out something that large.
He’s running just a screen. I see nothing that could go wrong

Reactions: Two
Do they even make a K & N replacement air filter for the TRX yet? I checked their website and they don’t even have a Ram 6.2L listed.

If they did...would you want it?

Better air flow, less contaminant stoppage for the K&N. When you think about it, impossible to increase one without decreasing the other. Err. I think.

I need to find the tests. But there are two (maybe more) that found the blue afe dry filter won in flow and filtration.

expensive but good drop in replacement and their new full intake looks interesting.

I wish donaldson would make a canister set up for the trx. Those will not only flow the air but they hold like 20lbs of silt before clogging and can be blown clean in the field. Best offroad filter ever.

I took the filters out on my last couple of dynos and we made 3-4HP without filters and this was after 3 runs with heatsoak. They are restrictive and unless you’re Baja racing they need to go.

I took the filters out on my last couple of dynos and we made 3-4HP without filters and this was after 3 runs with heatsoak. They are restrictive and unless you’re Baja racing they need to go.

You can have the additional 3 horsepower - I'll keep the less wear and tear.

You can make up that 3 - 4 HP just by having 30-40 pounds less weight.

You can have the additional 3 horsepower - I'll keep the less wear and tear.

You can make up that 3 - 4 HP just by having 30-40 pounds less weight.
Bro are you calling me fat? :ROFLMAO:
We just did it to test it, seems like lots of people were asking. I’m waiting on the aFe intake system myself.

Back