Rear End Issues

Friscomail

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram Truck
Military
No
Folks, I have a 2022 TRX with 25K miles on it. I have noticed lately that the rear end seems sloppy - sometimes when I put it in reverse or drive I get a "clunk" in the rear end. Seems like there is some play. Obviously its still under warranty but anyone else have a similar issue?

Welcome to the “Clunk Club.”

I had a rear drive shaft replaced and the clunk came back. Next they did the fancy lube job. So far no clunk, but I know it’s a matter of time before it returns.

Are you also feeling the "clunk" when you pull up to a stop light.....or a clunk when you take off from the stop light? Same clunk @04Ram2500Hemi is talking about. Its a known issue with the slip splines on the drive shaft and a bind that occurs. Its annoying, but it is not causing any damage to your truck and RAM does not have a permanent fix.

Folks, I have a 2022 TRX with 25K miles on it. I have noticed lately that the rear end seems sloppy - sometimes when I put it in reverse or drive I get a "clunk" in the rear end. Seems like there is some play. Obviously its still under warranty but anyone else have a similar issue?
Using the word clunk is going to bring up a lot of search results / comments that are about braking at a stop light and hearing a clunk from the crankshaft and getting a forward vectoring impact.

What you are referring to sounds different and may be due to loose or out of alignment suspension components or a misaligned axle. My 23 does it too after getting t-boned. Gotta have the rear end inspected again unfortunately.

Last edited:
Mine does it now and then......I also have a 2007 AWD Cadillac Escalade that does it now and then so I don't sweat it.....If it kicks a drive shaft out I'll be like well it was something .

Thanks everyone. First time owning a Dodge/Ram. To answer the question from RedEyeTRX, it mostly happens when I shift into gear ....sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order! thanks everyone. Very helpful.

Thanks everyone. First time owning a Dodge/Ram. To answer the question from RedEyeTRX, it mostly happens when I shift into gear ....sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order! thanks everyone. Very helpful.
I believe the clunk you are referring to is different from the infamous clunk that has been the topic of most conversation on the forum.

I had the clunk when coming to a full stop or leaving a full stop. That was temporarily corrected by the dealer using a lube kit and was covered under warranty. That solution didn't last so they put in a new drive shaft also under warranty and that has solved the problem so far.

I have noticed recently that I sometimes get a clunk when first going into reverse or drive at times. This is definitely different than the first clunk issue I described. It will be going in for oil change soon and I will have the dealer take a look at it. Let us know what your dealer has to say about it. This clunk issue is the only annoyance I have had with this truck and I have been very happy with the TRX.

I believe the clunk you are referring to is different from the infamous clunk that has been the topic of most conversation on the forum.

I had the clunk when coming to a full stop or leaving a full stop. That was temporarily corrected by the dealer using a lube kit and was covered under warranty. That solution didn't last so they put in a new drive shaft also under warranty and that has solved the problem so far.

I have noticed recently that I sometimes get a clunk when first going into reverse or drive at times. This is definitely different than the first clunk issue I described. It will be going in for oil change soon and I will have the dealer take a look at it. Let us know what your dealer has to say about it. This clunk issue is the only annoyance I have had with this truck and I have been very happy with the TRX.
I’m going to have my trans fluid changed next time and see if that does anything.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com
Back