Rambar and Tonneau Cover and Crossbars (co-exist)

tkdr6

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2013 Ram 3500 Laramie
I know many folks have been wondering if the Rambar can work with a tonneau cover, and even with an added bonus of potentially having crossbars above the bed of the truck for accessories (tents, bikes, snowboards, kayaks, etc.).

Done quite a bit of research in-person (hands-on TRX) and online, taking lot's of measurements, and experience with installs of these products as well.

I'm about 95% sure with NO custom modifications that the following will all work together:
- Mopar Rambar https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215959.html ($1,895 if you ordered with TRX build, $1,200 if you do it yourself afterwards)
- Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 (metal retractable cover with T-slot integration for crossbars)
- Any T-slot compatible crossbar setup you prefer (Thule, Yakima, Rhino-rack, etc.)

Once I get my TRX I will take videos of the install of these products so everyone can see if any modifications are required and how well (or not) everything works together.

There are so many other tonneau cover brands/types that might work as well with the Rambar, but I've only done research into tonneau covers with T-slot integration.

Here is a video of the TFL guys putting a folding cover on a Ram Rebel with the Rambar installed:
. (very tail end of the video shoes the tonneau cover install with Rambar)

Enjoy!

I know many folks have been wondering if the Rambar can work with a tonneau cover, and even with an added bonus of potentially having crossbars above the bed of the truck for accessories (tents, bikes, snowboards, kayaks, etc.).

Done quite a bit of research in-person (hands-on TRX) and online, taking lot's of measurements, and experience with installs of these products as well.

I'm about 95% sure with NO custom modifications that the following will all work together:
- Mopar Rambar https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215959.html ($1,895 if you ordered with TRX build, $1,200 if you do it yourself afterwards)
- Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 (metal retractable cover with T-slot integration for crossbars)
- Any T-slot compatible crossbar setup you prefer (Thule, Yakima, Rhino-rack, etc.)

Once I get my TRX I will take videos of the install of these products so everyone can see if any modifications are required and how well (or not) everything works together.

There are so many other tonneau cover brands/types that might work as well with the Rambar, but I've only done research into tonneau covers with T-slot integration.

Here is a video of the TFL guys putting a folding cover on a Ram Rebel with the Rambar installed:

Enjoy!
Great info! I'm getting the RAMBAR on mine and had been wondering about potentially adding the cover later... :)

Thank you for that information. I'm a dealer for most of the tonneau cover brands so I was planning on doing the same thing with mine when I get it. I'm leaning towards the BAK MX4 of F1.

That's awesome. Now I got to decide to get the rambar or wait for an aftermarket one

Enjoy!
Thanks for the research.

Enjoy!
Have you installed the RAMBAR and the tonneau cover on your TRX? Cannot wait to see your installation video. My TRX will arrive later June. It’s too slow in Canada...

Hey all - Can anyone recommend a good truck shop in the lower Hudson Valley/Westchester/CT border area who can help with an install of the Retrax Pro XR (TRX has the RamBar)?

DeDonna in Yonkers.. Ask for Junior.

or try Bedford Hills Ram/Jeep dealer and ask for Scotty.

Hey all - Can anyone recommend a good truck shop in the lower Hudson Valley/Westchester/CT border area who can help with an install of the Retrax Pro XR (TRX has the RamBar)?
I know it's out of your way, but my buddy Ray in North Jersey can handle this no problem, he owns this shop and is a car / truck guy.

Thank you for that information. I'm a dealer for most of the tonneau cover brands so I was planning on doing the same thing with mine when I get it. I'm leaning towards the BAK MX4 of F1.
I have the MX4 on mine and was wondering if I can also have a Sport Bar. How did your's work out?

I have the MX4 on mine and was wondering if I can also have a Sport Bar. How did your's work out?
MIne is on hold til 2022 now. But we have sold a few of the MX4 and F1 to TRX owners with the Ram Bar and they've made it work.

Thank you for that information. I'm a dealer for most of the tonneau cover brands so I was planning on doing the same thing with mine when I get it. I'm leaning towards the BAK M
MIne is on hold til 2022 now. But we have sold a few of the MX4 and F1 to TRX owners with the Ram Bar and they've made it work.
I'm assuming it prevents them opening completely but curious if it is just the first fold from cab that would be immovable? I think first one would be ok, but may have to reevaluate if it is 2 sections.

I added a Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 with my existing RamBar. Fits just fine. Just has to replace the hex bolts with allen head cap screws that hold the RamBar to the truck bed.

The Retrax Pro has T-Slots for accessories. I added two Yakima HD bars for mounting gear on top of the HD rails.

Finally - I added Adapt XP Extreme LED lights to the RamBar. They have internal GPS sensors that monitor your vehicles speed and automatically adjust the beam from diffuse (at low speeds) and focused down range (for higher speeds). Used the factory Aux Switch wiring.

Attachments

• Ram Pic 6.jpg
    Ram Pic 6.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 322
  • Ram Pic 5.jpg
    Ram Pic 5.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 345
  • Ram Pic 4.jpg
    Ram Pic 4.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Ram Pic 3.jpg
    Ram Pic 3.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 361
  • Ram Pic 2.jpg
    Ram Pic 2.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Ram Pic 1.jpg
    Ram Pic 1.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 323
I added a Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 with my existing RamBar. Fits just fine. Just has to replace the hex bolts with allen head cap screws that hold the RamBar to the truck bed.

The Retrax Pro has T-Slots for accessories. I added two Yakima HD bars for mounting gear on top of the HD rails.

Finally - I added Adapt XP Extreme LED lights to the RamBar. They have internal GPS sensors that monitor your vehicles speed and automatically adjust the beam from diffuse (at low speeds) and focused down range (for higher speeds). Used the factory Aux Switch wiring.
What was the reason you swapped the interior rambar bolts? I installed my Retrax without swapping them and it sits on top of the topside ram bar bolts, effectively leaving a slight gap. I don’t see how swapping out the interior bolts would have helped with that though. Do you have a gap on yours too?

What was the reason you swapped the interior rambar bolts? I installed my Retrax without swapping them and it sits on top of the topside ram bar bolts, effectively leaving a slight gap. I don’t see how swapping out the interior bolts would have helped with that though. Do you have a gap on yours too?
The cap screws are lower profile (than the Factory hex bolts) and the Retrax has a foam seal that rests next to the fasteners. It seemed to fit better with the cap screws. Also, if you do swap them, make sure to get stainless steel bolts. I made that mistake the first time.

As far as the gap, I used a double layer of foam at the end of the bed closest to the cab. I gives the Tanneau cover a slight rake and it helped with how the Retrax fits on top of the RamBar base.

Got the Retrax PowertraxPRO XR
Just changed out the hex screws‼️

Do you have a link for these 2 items‼️ T-Slots for accessories. Yakima HD bars for mounting‼️ just want to get the right size HD Bars‼️

I have the rambar with the BAK Revolver X4s and it fits amazingly! The only thing i did was take the side bolts out of the rambar(one on each side). It gets tight rolling it up between the rambar but it definitely fits. I’ve had trifold covers before and prefer the roll up. So the Revolver X4s for me. It was a little over a week from order to door step.

Latest Discussions...

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back