Rambar and Tonneau Cover and Crossbars (co-exist)

tkdr6

TRX Fiend
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2013 Ram 3500 Laramie
I know many folks have been wondering if the Rambar can work with a tonneau cover, and even with an added bonus of potentially having crossbars above the bed of the truck for accessories (tents, bikes, snowboards, kayaks, etc.).

Done quite a bit of research in-person (hands-on TRX) and online, taking lot's of measurements, and experience with installs of these products as well.

I'm about 95% sure with NO custom modifications that the following will all work together:
- Mopar Rambar https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215959.html ($1,895 if you ordered with TRX build, $1,200 if you do it yourself afterwards)
- Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 (metal retractable cover with T-slot integration for crossbars)
- Any T-slot compatible crossbar setup you prefer (Thule, Yakima, Rhino-rack, etc.)

Once I get my TRX I will take videos of the install of these products so everyone can see if any modifications are required and how well (or not) everything works together.

There are so many other tonneau cover brands/types that might work as well with the Rambar, but I've only done research into tonneau covers with T-slot integration.

Here is a video of the TFL guys putting a folding cover on a Ram Rebel with the Rambar installed:
. (very tail end of the video shoes the tonneau cover install with Rambar)

Enjoy!

Kerry0805

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Name
Kerry
I know many folks have been wondering if the Rambar can work with a tonneau cover, and even with an added bonus of potentially having crossbars above the bed of the truck for accessories (tents, bikes, snowboards, kayaks, etc.).

Done quite a bit of research in-person (hands-on TRX) and online, taking lot's of measurements, and experience with installs of these products as well.

I'm about 95% sure with NO custom modifications that the following will all work together:
- Mopar Rambar https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215959.html ($1,895 if you ordered with TRX build, $1,200 if you do it yourself afterwards)
- Retrax Pro XR https://retrax.com/retraxpro-xr/2021/ram/1500 (metal retractable cover with T-slot integration for crossbars)
- Any T-slot compatible crossbar setup you prefer (Thule, Yakima, Rhino-rack, etc.)

Once I get my TRX I will take videos of the install of these products so everyone can see if any modifications are required and how well (or not) everything works together.

There are so many other tonneau cover brands/types that might work as well with the Rambar, but I've only done research into tonneau covers with T-slot integration.

Here is a video of the TFL guys putting a folding cover on a Ram Rebel with the Rambar installed:

Enjoy!
Great info! I'm getting the RAMBAR on mine and had been wondering about potentially adding the cover later... :)

Johnny@JustBoltOns

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2005 Mustang, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Hydro Blue (while I wait on my TRX)
Thank you for that information. I'm a dealer for most of the tonneau cover brands so I was planning on doing the same thing with mine when I get it. I'm leaning towards the BAK MX4 of F1.

KnightMare

Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
'21 Outlander XMR, '19 Sprinter 144, '19 Accord, '18 ZX-10rr, '15 Caravan, '17 Fusion, '12 Pasat CC, '11 ZX-10r, '04 Avalanche
Current Ride #2
'67 Pontiac GTO, '67 Lemans Convertible, '69 Camaro, '69 Chevelle, '70 Chevelle, '70 Chevelle
That's awesome. Now I got to decide to get the rambar or wait for an aftermarket one

More Cow Bell

TRX Fiend
Reaction score
Current Ride
2020 Rubicon

Enjoy!
Thanks for the research.

TREX510

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Donald Wayne
Current Ride
RAM 1500 TRX

Enjoy!
Have you installed the RAMBAR and the tonneau cover on your TRX? Cannot wait to see your installation video. My TRX will arrive later June. It’s too slow in Canada...

maiden2mantovani

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
'18 Rubicon Recon 6.4 Hemi;
Current Ride #2
'21 LE
Hey all - Can anyone recommend a good truck shop in the lower Hudson Valley/Westchester/CT border area who can help with an install of the Retrax Pro XR (TRX has the RamBar)?

maiden2mantovani

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
'18 Rubicon Recon 6.4 Hemi;
Current Ride #2
'21 LE
DeDonna in Yonkers.. Ask for Junior.

or try Bedford Hills Ram/Jeep dealer and ask for Scotty.

Johnny@JustBoltOns

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2005 Mustang, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel Hydro Blue (while I wait on my TRX)
Hey all - Can anyone recommend a good truck shop in the lower Hudson Valley/Westchester/CT border area who can help with an install of the Retrax Pro XR (TRX has the RamBar)?
I know it's out of your way, but my buddy Ray in North Jersey can handle this no problem, he owns this shop and is a car / truck guy.

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com