Ram TRX offroad test drive with installed carbon-ceramic brake system

Well, we are not talking about the weight of the brake system itself, and even less about its cost. We just decided to experiment and put the RAM TRX with ceramics in place in a difficult environment and see what happens. The main purpose of this post is to find out whether the damage will appear on the brake discs after testing.
Sure, but the two main advantages of CCB are weight savings and braking ability under high temp track conditions.

Not sure if what you tested for (off road dirt rejection / chipping) is applicable or not. As others said, CCB are less effective when cold and the likelihood of bringing CCB up to optimum temp on the trail would be tough.

Sure, but the two main advantages of CCB are weight savings and braking ability under high temp track conditions.

Not sure if what you tested for (off road dirt rejection / chipping) is applicable or not. As others said, CCB are less effective when cold and the likelihood of bringing CCB up to optimum temp on the trail would be tough.
I agree with you about the main advantages of ceramics. This is its weight and efficiency and also endurance to wear. In winter, there are no problems with ceramics, it just needs a different approach than steel brake discs, ceramics need to be warmed up gradually, since in fact carbon-ceramic discs have the properties of very dense glass, and due to sudden temperature changes, they can crack.

I agree with you about the main advantages of ceramics. This is its weight and efficiency and also endurance to wear. In winter, there are no problems with ceramics, it just needs a different approach than steel brake discs, ceramics need to be warmed up gradually, since in fact carbon-ceramic discs have the properties of very dense glass, and due to sudden temperature changes, they can crack.
So what you are saying with your CCB set up, you cannot drive the TRX like a truck and would be best suited for a track use only TRX?
You cannot jump in and drive the truck normally in winter? It was -6 this morning here in CO.
You cannot drive the truck on the trail, then hit a river crossing? Hot CCB + cold water = bad.

But they dont chip or get dirty during off road driving......okay.
I will stop beating the dead horse!

Last edited:
Living in Scottsdale, similar to other $ pockets of the US... I've become numb to the extremes some will take their vehicles and aftermarket upfitting (beyond the typical norm and usage).

Absolutely believe there is a market, whether the novelty of having 'Mic Drop' stopping power, uniformity with other vehicles in their stable (with optional OEM performance brake kits (Porsche, even TESLA Plaid) or simply for extreme usage (like a local friend who's TRX screenshot on the DSR website noted nearly 1400WHP on E85). A few eccentric friends in this $$ arena (including my Principal of 19yrs+) often take pleasure in the potential capabilities, but would never explore nor talent, nor courage nor simply interest to enjoy that realm.

....and some potential customers just enjoy building their vision/project (from a Singer Porsche to custom home) with no plans to retain. Watched this first hand when we acquired a BMW/Ducati motorcycle dealership <-I can only relate to buying $50 LEGO Technic kits to mimic such sentiment LOL!

....but in my massive disposable income alt universe - would love to have a second TRX to lower/tuck massive (pseudo NASCAR) wheels, DSR swap, full cage with three buckets/harnesses but otherwise appearing like a performance model 'they could have built'. Basically an extreme Mullet... business/utility mixed with extreme pavement capabilities. I'm adding these brakes to my happy mental garage retreat. 🦖 :)

Living in Scottsdale, similar to other $ pockets of the US... I've become numb to the extremes some will take their vehicles and aftermarket upfitting (beyond the typical norm and usage).

Absolutely believe there is a market, whether the novelty of having 'Mic Drop' stopping power, uniformity with other vehicles in their stable (with optional OEM performance brake kits (Porsche, even TESLA Plaid) or simply for extreme usage (like a local friend who's TRX screenshot on the DSR website noted nearly 1400WHP on E85). A few eccentric friends in this $$ arena (including my Principal of 19yrs+) often take pleasure in the potential capabilities, but would never explore nor talent, nor courage nor simply interest to enjoy that realm.

....and some potential customers just enjoy building their vision/project (from a Singer Porsche to custom home) with no plans to retain. Watched this first hand when we acquired a BMW/Ducati motorcycle dealership <-I can only relate to buying $50 LEGO Technic kits to mimic such sentiment LOL!

....but in my massive disposable income alt universe - would love to have a second TRX to lower/tuck massive (pseudo NASCAR) wheels, DSR swap, full cage with three buckets/harnesses but otherwise appearing like a performance model 'they could have built'. Basically an extreme Mullet... business/utility mixed with extreme pavement capabilities. I'm adding these brakes to my happy mental garage retreat. 🦖 :)
The NASCAR TRX build would make great Youtube fodder !

Extreme Mullet!

1677239973937.png

It's okay and legal to cross creeks if it leads to the next section of a trail. It is never okay or legal to drive in creeks/rivers. It is irresponsible to advertise a product doing something that should not be done....of course....unless you are in Mexico;).

Those are some expensive brakes.

It's okay and legal to cross creeks if it leads to the next section of a trail. It is never okay or legal to drive in creeks/rivers. It is irresponsible to advertise a product doing something that should not be done....of course....unless you are in Mexico;).

Those are some expensive brakes.
I only drive through creeks and rivers in Mexico.......followed by a nice OReillys air filter swap !

For $32k I think you could build a pneumatic fired, sharpened titanium rod, that will stop you instantly, on any surface.

I agree ceramic rotors are too damn $$ for someone that actually uses their vehicle, especially offroad.

That aside, how about show the temp of those rotors with a thermal gun, and then send it in the water when they are 500* degrees. (This could warp steel also)

Other issue i see i a desert run, for long periods of debris, rocks, sand causing issues.

But in the end you dont usually see the “club” racers with ceramic, because they will eventually wear out and could buy 3-4 sets of high quality 2-piece dba/brembo/etc rotors and pads.

Anything, i mean anything is better than these shitty stock setups though.

Hello off-road lovers.

In recent discussions, I have come across that many believe that if the owner of a RAM TRX is operating this car for off-road driving, then it does not make any sense to install a carbon-ceramic brake system, since the brake discs are easy to break and they will become unusable.

We experimented, with installing a carbon-ceramic brake system on a 2021 RAM TRX. This braking system has the following characteristics:

Front-axle:

- Carbon-ceramic brake rotors 440-40 mm
- 10-pot Akebono calipers
- Front carbon-ceramic pads
- Brake disc splash shields
- Front brake disc hats made of titanium
- Goodridge brake lines
- Front axle adapters
- All screws and holders

Rear-axle:

- 410-32 mm carbon-ceramic rear brake discs
- 4-pot Brembo calipers
- Rear carbon-ceramic pads
- Brake disc splash shields
- Rear brake disc hats are made of titanium
- Goodridge brake lines
- Rear-axle adapters
- Handbrake Brembo calipers
- Carbon ceramic parking brake pads
- All screws and holders
View attachment 89729View attachment 89730
After installation, we decided to send the car for a test drive in harsh conditions. We tested this brake system on the track and found out the available limit of overheating of the brake discs. Now we decided to test this brake system for strength and check a series of tests ...
You can check it out by watching the attached video below.
View attachment 89732
View attachment 89733

After testing, we drove the car back, removed the rims, and tested the brake system for damage or chips on the rims.
As a result, we did not find anything, even if the dirt was not clogged between the brake disc and pads. The car still runs on this brake system and is used off-road.

And what do you think about this, it will be interesting to know your opinion, would you try to conduct such tests with this brake system.
Also, offer possible options for testing, I will familiarize myself with it and try to implement it.

On the topic of wheelin’ and good stopping options….
Im not sure how the ebrake/parking brake adapter would hold up on the roterra kits, seems like its asking to be punted off from a big stick or a rock. Seems like a better solution would be just adding another caliper, using a drift handbrake setup.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com
Back