Quick Question

Steeveee

TRX Fan
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2018 Raptor
Probably a stupid question but what is the N Button with the Triangle on it for in the middle of the 4WD selections? Also, why does it have a black circle above it?

Thank you!
Launch.jpg

Neutral. So you can tow this big sumbitch behind your RV. The circle is where you put a ballpoint pen or a paperclip to engage it.

The neutral button on the 4x4 push button selector is to put the transfer case in neutral for towing your ram with all 4 wheels on the ground. From page 390 of the Owner's Manual "Neutral - This range disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain. To be used for flat towing behind another vehicle.

Last edited:
Looks, to me, like a Neutral indicator light. Transfer case sometimes requires the transmission to be in Neutral in order to engage 4WD Low Range.

Looks, to me, like a Neutral indicator light. Transfer case sometimes requires the transmission to be in Neutral in order to engage 4WD Low Range.
I agree it looks like a Neutral light that will light up to remind you to put it into neutral to shift into 4LOW....

to the point about towing you never want to tow any vehicle with the engine off on its drive wheels, and since this is full time 4WD if you need a tow you need to call a rollback truck to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground. If you tow with drive wheels in neutral and on the ground the transmission will get crazy hot from spinning without having any lubrication and can do insane amounts of damage. If you have to do it you have to disconnect the drive shaft first to the wheels that will be on the ground

...to the point about towing you never want to tow any vehicle with the engine off on its drive wheels, and since this is full time 4WD if you need a tow you need to call a rollback truck to tow it with all 4 wheels off the ground. If you tow with drive wheels in neutral and on the ground the transmission will get crazy hot from spinning without having any lubrication and can do insane amounts of damage. If you have to do it you have to disconnect the drive shaft first to the wheels that will be on the ground

In an attempt to not misinform others coming to the site, this is correct for typical 2WD vehicles, but does not apply to most 4WD vehicles. The Ram 1500 4WD is absolutely capable of being flat towed as long as the transfer case is placed into Neutral just as @SportyJames said. This effectively disconnects the transmission at the transfer case and you are free to tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground. Also, you do not want to just simply disconnect the rear driveshaft because without the driveshaft, fluid will leak from the open connection on the transfer case causing damage.

Reference: 2021 RAM 1500 Owners Manual PG 230

Now, I just wish I was cool enough to have an RV worthy of flat towing a TRX behind it to the dunes :cool:... because this beast is definitely not fitting in the garage of my toyhauler!

In an attempt to not misinform others coming to the site, this is correct for typical 2WD vehicles, but does not apply to most 4WD vehicles. The Ram 1500 4WD is absolutely capable of being flat towed as long as the transfer case is placed into Neutral just as @SportyJames said. This effectively disconnects the transmission at the transfer case and you are free to tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground. Also, you do not want to just simply disconnect the rear driveshaft because without the driveshaft, fluid will leak from the open connection on the transfer case causing damage.

Reference: 2021 RAM 1500 Owners Manual PG 230

Now, I just wish I was cool enough to have an RV worthy of flat towing a TRX behind it to the dunes :cool:... because this beast is definitely not fitting in the garage of my toyhauler!
That is definitely true for selective 4WD vehicles (ones that can go in 2WD) its not for AWD vehicles, the question is with this truck being in permanent 4WD does it have have a traditional transfer case (it can't be completely traditional as it doesn't have a 2WD option) or is it more like an AWD system...... I would hate for someone to find out the hard way that this expensive truck needs to be towed like an AWD and not a traditional 4WD which is why I will be clarifying that question with someone qualified to answer it when I take delivery and if it is not expressly written for the TRX version in a manual try and get it in writing from the service department

That is definitely true for selective 4WD vehicles (ones that can go in 2WD) its not for AWD vehicles, the question is with this truck being in permanent 4WD does it have have a traditional transfer case (it can't be completely traditional as it doesn't have a 2WD option) or is it more like an AWD system...... I would hate for someone to find out the hard way that this expensive truck needs to be towed like an AWD and not a traditional 4WD which is why I will be clarifying that question with someone qualified to answer it when I take delivery and if it is not expressly written for the TRX version in a manual try and get it in writing from the service department

The fact that it has a Neutral selection would seem to point to it being an option but I absolutely agree that it should be verified in the TRX manual. (y)

The difference between AWD and 4WD is really that AWD can change the ratio of power sent between the axles thus allowing for all (4) wheels to be driven on hard high grip surfaces, this is done either by slippage (just like in a differential) or can be ECU managed. In the past there were other differences such as most AWD cars have no low range but only AWD (4H) and no Neutral as there was no need to change gear ratio in the transfer case. The Neutral on the Ram serves two purposes, the first to change gear from high to low the transfer case will go through neutral in the background, and the second for flat towing.
Last but not least the TRX has a real transfer case, and the difference between AWD and 4H is just locking the center differential and controlling the slippage between axles.

The difference between AWD and 4WD is really that AWD can change the ratio of power sent between the axles thus allowing for all (4) wheels to be driven on hard high grip surfaces, this is done either by slippage (just like in a differential) or can be ECU managed. In the past there were other differences such as most AWD cars have no low range but only AWD (4H) and no Neutral as there was no need to change gear ratio in the transfer case. The Neutral on the Ram serves two purposes, the first to change gear from high to low the transfer case will go through neutral in the background, and the second for flat towing.
Last but not least the TRX has a real transfer case, and the difference between AWD and 4H is just locking the center differential and controlling the slippage between axles.
I understand and agree with all of that assuming what you are saying about the trx having a "real transfer case" is correct....do you have a source for that because I couldn't find an answer one way or another, the only thing I could find is with the trackhawk which shares the exact engine and transmission cannot be flat towed and the only full time 4wd i know of is the hummer H1 which can be flat towed, but if I am going to make an assumption without knowing for sure it is going to be the safer assumption

Neutral. So you can tow this big sumbitch behind your RV. The circle is where you put a ballpoint pen or a paperclip to engage it.

The neutral button on the 4x4 push button selector is to put the transfer case in neutral for towing your ram with all 4 wheels on the ground. From page 390 of the Owner's Manual "Neutral - This range disengages both the front and rear driveshafts from the powertrain. To be used for flat towing behind another vehicle.
I had no idea! I've pushed it before but not directly on the button with something. My manual doesn't explain that part of it. It just cautions you to have the parking brake engaged. I too thought it was a light. Who say's you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Thanks!!

Hello All
I don't have a horse in the race yet but I hope that will change soon. I do have a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to. The question is if I order the truck with the Level 1 equipment group, would I get the reclining rear seats? Thanks

Hello All
I don't have a horse in the race yet but I hope that will change soon. I do have a quick question that I can't seem to find the answer to. The question is if I order the truck with the Level 1 equipment group, would I get the reclining rear seats? Thanks
I don’t think so.... I believe it is level 2 trim that has the rear reclining seat.

I don’t think so.... I believe it is level 2 trim that has the rear reclining seat.
Yep, it is the level 2 package that adds the heated and cooled reclining rear seat.

That would be ashamed if true because that feature is standard in the Laramie with a starting MSRP of only $41K. My kids are going to hate me. I already took their heated seats away.

That would be ashamed if true because that feature is standard in the Laramie with a starting MSRP of only $41K. My kids are going to hate me. I already took their heated seats away.
1605643204126.png

Thanks. It appears that I would have to step up to Level 2 to match what I currently have in my Limited. I can lose the heated rear seats but those reclining rear seats are so comfortable.
You cant lose them in the TRX. If you get the reclining rear seat you are getting the heated/cooled rear seats as well...we believe...no one actually has one of these trucks yet. All of this is based on option lists and what we have been told by Sarah.

Were you able to locate an owner's manual for the TRX? Can you point me in the right direction? I'd love to read through it while I'm waiting. Thx.

Were you able to locate an owner's manual for the TRX? Can you point me in the right direction? I'd love to read through it while I'm waiting. Thx.
I should have deleted the owners manual part. That info was pulled from a Jeep site if I remember correctly.

Back