Putting in neutral without starting

Aintdatsumish

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
TRX
Current Ride #2
'06 Camry Beater
Greetings! Does anyone know how to place the tranny in neutral without the truck running. I.E. truck wont start need to be towed or pulled?

Tried in Acc/On/ and Run. Can't move shifter.

I pulled mats out and when I put them back in the truck the mat was touching the edge of the gas pedal. Just enough to cut start signal. Truck just turned over with no fire. I was under the dash looking for some kind of release just in case I had to get it towed and noticed the mat kissing the pedal. Pulled mat off of pedal and fired up. This is why I asked. Thx!

There’s a pull cord in a little cubby under the steering wheel down by the OBD port. That cord puts It in neutral without starting the truck

0A5751ED-15D2-4E6E-AAF9-9899A7C26C12.jpeg

Last edited:
Incase anyone else runs into this:

1618683206175.png

There is a yellow strap under the park release handle that you pull to release the parking brake. You need a small flat head to pry open the plastic cover to get to the strap. Behind the yellow strap, you insert your key or flat head and turn a lock tumbler before pulling the strap.

Glad OP was able to resolve the issue. Are you using the OEM floor mats? I though they were tabbed in so don't move?

Thanks! I really appreciate it! I am using OEM mats. Just a chance occurrence but it led to me learning something thanks to you guys!
There’s a pull cord in a little cubby under the steering wheel down by the OBD port. That cord puts It in neutral without starting the truck

View attachment 11245
Thanks I appreciate you. Great help!

This would have been nice to know as the tow truck driver had to start my truck when I had oil leak to get into N. Definitely good info, thx!

Incase anyone else runs into this:

View attachment 11244

There is a yellow strap under the park release handle that you pull to release the parking brake. You need a small flat head to pry open the plastic cover to get to the strap. Behind the yellow strap, you insert your key or flat head and turn a lock tumbler before pulling the strap.

Glad OP was able to resolve the issue. Are you using the OEM floor mats? I though they were tabbed in so don't move?

Not sure what this lock tumbler is that you are speaking of:

1618694155645.png

Not sure what this lock tumbler is that you are speaking of:

View attachment 11259
You are right. I just went out and checked again. The TRX does not have a lock tumbler and its just a pull. Good catch.

I had to tow a friends Ram limited that had the tumbler a few years back:
1618699132074.png

Only pic I can find online that shows it. There used to be that lock that you would have to poke a key into but that's not there anymore on our TRX.

You are right. I just went out and checked again. The TRX does not have a lock tumbler and its just a pull. Good catch.

I had to tow a friends Ram limited that had the tumbler a few years back:
View attachment 11261

Only pic I can find online that shows it. There used to be that lock that you would have to poke a key into but that's not there anymore on our TRX.

That's a cool little safety feature so you don't ever accidently throw it in natural! I learned something new today, not sure why they went away with it, I guess we will never know...

yep the hidden strap under the dash took me quite a while to find when trying to put it on flatbed.

The neutral button seems to only work for a few seconds, not sure what the point of that is yet.

yep the hidden strap under the dash took me quite a while to find when trying to put it on flatbed.

The neutral button seems to only work for a few seconds, not sure what the point of that is yet.
It should shift your transfer case into neutral, used for flat towing. From the manual:

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop on level ground,
with the engine running. Apply the parking brake.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL. The driver’s door
must be closed (or the driver’s seat belt buckled) so that
the transmission will remain in NEUTRAL when the
brake pedal is released.
NOTE: If vehicle is equipped with air suspension, ensure
the vehicle is set to Normal Ride Height.
4. Using a ballpoint pen or similar object, push and hold
the recessed transfer case NEUTRAL (N) button (at the
center of the transfer case switches). The NEUTRAL (N)
indicator light will illuminate, and remain lit, when the
shift to NEUTRAL (N) is complete. After the shift is
completed and the NEUTRAL (N) light stays on, release
the NEUTRAL (N) button.
5. Release the parking brake.
6. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
7. Release the brake pedal for five seconds and ensure that
there is no vehicle movement.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the transmission in DRIVE.
9. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL. Apply the parking
brake. Turn OFF the engine. For vehicles with Keyless
Enter-N-Go, push and hold the ENGINE START/STOP
button until the engine shuts off. The transmission will
automatically select PARK when the engine is turned
off.
10. Turn the ignition to the OFF mode.
11. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable
tow bar.
12. Turn the ignition to the ON/RUN mode, but do not
start the engine.
13. Release the parking brake.
14. Turn the ignition OFF.

Is this the same feature that thieves use to steal vehicles? If so, I'm curious if this could be removed or relocated to prevent theft. Thoughts?

I mean repo guys just crawl under and cut your ebrake cable, and/or disconnect driveshaft.

to me it wouldn’t be worth needing it for a tow, unless you figured out a diff way to do that.

your truck does the same thing when you open the door when truck is running, doesnt matter if in neutral or not, quite annoying imo.

I mean repo guys just crawl under and cut your ebrake cable, and/or disconnect driveshaft.

to me it wouldn’t be worth needing it for a tow, unless you figured out a diff way to do that.

your truck does the same thing when you open the door when truck is running, doesnt matter if in neutral or not, quite annoying imo.
I agree, I hate this feature there are many times I want to open the door to back up, check clearance, etc and it puts the e-brake on.

I agree, I hate this feature there are many times I want to open the door to back up, check clearance, etc and it puts the e-brake on.

All because one guy had to die because of it..... Damn safety

Back