PSA: Go, right now, and seat all fuses and relays

Its not needed but on my other cars I can get by with a deep socket without an extension so more of a habit I guess.

On the TRX a standard socket seats all the way but w/ deep socket & 3“ extension its the perfect length just outside the tire. With a 6” extension, it gets a little long for that kinda torque, makes tweaking the lug nuts more likely. But dunno, I’m not a mechanic, do they make 5” extensions for 1/2” drives, I mostly see 3”, 6”?
Ah, sounds like you don't support the head of the ratchet or torque wrench at the head. I use a 10-inch extension, for the most part, so that I can easily support the other end, and it clears even deep dish wheels.

Ah, sounds like you don't support the head of the ratchet or torque wrench at the head. I use a 10-inch extension, for the most part, so that I can easily support the other end, and it clears even deep dish wheels.

I support the head of the torque wrench, pushing towards the wheel, otherwise you will definitely, 100% tweak the bolts.

I rather have the shortest extension possible, no biggy though

I have the biggest tool box I could find for these trucks. In addition to the off road jack a Pro Eagle I keep in the tool box I have one of these. Granted I have been running OIL Burner HD trucks but it will work for these little trucks as well. 😁 Truth be told have other things that may require this kind of power but would rather have it than not need it than need it and not have it!

Last edited:
I rather have the shortest extension possible, no biggy though

To me, whether it's two inches or two feet doesn't matter. Well, it does with an impact, and I prefer ones about 6-10 inches long when not using an impact.
And like BusaDave, I use Milwaukee Fuel impacts, and always have one with me on road trips.

To me, whether it's two inches or two feet doesn't matter. Well, it does with an impact, and I prefer ones about 6-10 inches long when not using an impact.
And like BusaDave, I use Milwaukee Fuel impacts, and always have one with me on road trips.

No problem with impacts unless its on bolts that you can crush with your teeth or w/ sockets that aren‘t the right size/slightly too big.

Thats not what she said. 🤣 The longer the extension the more angled you’re likely to be on the lug nuts, the more leverage there is to the side, its physics.

Yeah just go with the 2 foot one, why is there anything shorter anyway when 2 foot will be all you need and the 7/8” socket, it’ll be fine.

Last edited:
The longer the extension the more angled you’re likely to be on the lug nuts, the more leverage there is to the side, its physics.

Meanwhile, I find it easier to keep the socket and extension parallel to the fastener the longer the extension is.
Again, remember that I support the ratchet end. If I couldn't support it, I'd want no extension at all, or even a deep socket.

Meanwhile, I find it easier to keep the socket and extension parallel to the fastener the longer the extension is.
Again, remember that I support the ratchet end. If I couldn't support it, I'd want no extension at all, or even a deep socket.

Why couldnt you? Seriously, how does supporting the ratchet end become easier with a longer extension?

So you’re saying people use one hand on the end of a torque wrench or both hands without pushing the head of the ratchet towards the wheel? How does the socket stay on the lug nut properly without tweaking it like that?

Why couldnt you? Seriously, how does supporting the ratchet end become easier with a longer extension?

So you’re saying people use one hand on the end of a torque wrench or both hands without pushing the head of the ratchet towards the wheel? How does the socket stay on the lug nut properly without tweaking it like that?
For me it's easier by holding one hand on the extension and/or the head of the ratchet, counteracting the force I induce with the ratchet.
That way I can easily keep it all parallel to the fastener. EDIT: It's a lot like putting the ratchet end of the extension on a jack stand, just without having to drag one out.

I have never had an issue with the socket not staying on the fastener as that connection becomes fairly solid from the torque applied between the socket and lug nut.

It's starting to sound like we're talking past each other here.

Last edited:
For me it's easier by holding one hand on the extension and/or the head of the ratchet, counteracting the force I induce with the ratchet.
That way I can easily keep it all parallel to the fastener.

I have never had an issue with the socket not staying on the fastener as that connection becomes fairly solid from the torque applied between the socket and lug nut.

It's starting to sound like we're talking past each other here.

What I do is hold the head of the ratchet with my palm pushing it towards the wheel & grab the ratchet head kinda like a baseball. When the socket is all the way seated by pushing the head of the ratchet towards the wheel, it keeps the socket & extension perfectly parallel. I personally find that longer extensions give leverage to the side, no matter what I’m working on I always use the shortest extension that will easily get the job done, just easier to control imo.. Yeah, agree, more than one way to skin a cat, different strokes for different folks, yada, yada, yada that kinda thing.

Wheel bolt “sExY tIMe” (said like Borat) - Poggipolini Titanium - Italy
5BA287A6-749D-4A98-AC6A-4DD19B87D0A9.jpeg
EE8C7ADB-5DA2-4D49-A08D-F28AB7491D8B.jpeg

B2A31195-FFB2-418A-948F-C4D500D630B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Two
There's a lot to be said for those old 4-way lug nut wrenches, I think. Two handed loosening and tightening would be a natural, and when just spinning the nuts on or off, one hand holding the far end while the other keeps the wrench turning.

Anyway, these are my favorite "lug nuts". All you need for the spinners is a soft hammer. The centerlocks require an awful lot of torque, though.
DSCN3934[1].JPG
DSCN3933[1].JPG

I just picked up my TRX a few days ago. All the fuses were seated. But thanks. I do have a few codes though on the display that I need to find out why. They came on with 30 miles on odo.
What Codes? I ask because I have some also...

I went out to immediately check after reading this. I would say about 60% of all the fuses needed further seeding. Whoever is in charge of this is lazy or doesn't know how this should be done. Someone needs to tell Ram about this quality check failure.

Wow that has got to be the worst feeling ever. Picking up your new TRX to find thrown codes.
Amongst other issues, and service said: “you’ll have to leave it with us…” no loaner vehicles available… hello??? Let me drive my Trackhawk I’m the mean time, or demo me another TRX…

Amongst other issues, and service said: “you’ll have to leave it with us…” no loaner vehicles available… hello??? Let me drive my Trackhawk I’m the mean time, or demo me another TRX…
Very sorry to hear that. If I were you, I would speak to the service manager or another floor manager. I bet their tune changes when you tell them you will never buy a car from them again.

That is one reason I got the extended service plan or extended warranty as many call it. Loaner cars at dealers are very rare these day because so many vehicles are in repair for extended time frames due to supply chain parts shortages. With the extended service plan you get a rent car for a covered repair.

To go in and whine about it may help but I doubt it. EVERBODY is in the same boat.

That is one reason I got the extended service plan or extended warranty as many call it. Loaner cars at dealers are very rare these day because so many vehicles are in repair for extended time frames due to supply chain parts shortages. With the extended service plan you get a rent car for a covered repair.

To go in and whine about it may help but I doubt it. EVERBODY is in the same boat.
Did I mention, These issues were all Noted While we were at the dealership purchasing the vehicle? At delivery… and every other dealer same story…

Did I mention, These issues were all Noted While we were at the dealership purchasing the vehicle? At delivery… and every other dealer same story…
Does not matter----reality is just that. Deal with it. Times are tough in the industry. Should not have taken delivery of a vehicle with codes present.

Simple I would not have.

Thank you for this thread. Nothing really surprises me anymore. So I seated the fuses, I changed the oil at about 1000 miles, and I replaced and torqued the lugs to the correct spec. Part of me wants to do the front and rear differential fluid. but I bet the front is a real pain in the ass without a lift. What else did you boys and girls do besides pray to the ram gods?

All of my fuses and relays under the hood were seating perfectly, nothing loose.
Under the dash was a little different story, about 75% needed to be pushed in about 16th of an inch or so.

Back