Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L v8 4x4
Military
Vet Air Force
Heya all! I am in a situation where I do not have reputable PPF installers near me so would have to drive over an hour (and still not sure who is reputable with PPF in the city). Installers matter so would take time to find one not to mention time & logistics of hubby being able to give me a ride back from somewhere over an hour away.

I have however found a ceramic detailer close to me who has been very helpful answering questions (even suggesting I go to city to have PPF & ceramic done if I wanted both since he does not do PPF) & has great reviews. And we can get my truck in to get the ceramic with enough time to cure before my road trip.

Can you PPF over ceramic? If so, does it dull the shine or can totally tell where the PPF is? I do not want to rush into PPF because I have questions I still need answered, a time limit I need it all done by, & logistical issues with coordinating a ride back & to pick up with it being over an hour away. I think it is best dealt with when I am back. So I was thinking of at least getting the ceramic so it is at least easier to get all the road trip grime off. If I do that, can I PPF later if I want to without you being able to tell or look weird?

Now the detailer I am looking at does not do window tinting..:he concentrates only on detailing. Does it matter if I tint the windows before or after? What is the difference between a ceramic tint & regular tint?

Now the PPF questions. How does it age..does it get hazy/yellow, does it peel, does it trap dirt, does it look ugly & defeat the purpose of keeping your truck looking good by protecting the paint? I also heard there can be issues with factory graphics which I do not want to remove (I love them & not paying for them again when they were already pricey to begin with lol). Also precut vs custom cut…precut rules out any chance of the paint being cut into but hear you can see where the lines are & it traps dirt & have to be careful with pressure sprayers…custom cut can wrap into the seams so no visible lines but run the risk of you paint being cut into. Is that risk worth it? And if supposed to get PPF under ceramic how does the PPF manage to heal under the ceramic?

Thanks all!!!

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
You want to Ceramic over the ppf. Ceramic is mostly to help keep the truck clean and easier to wash. Prevents some micro scratches and reduces odds of swirling but its all about making the truck look cleaner and easier to keep looking clean.

I don't think XPEL (my preferred ppf company) would cure well to ceramic (CeramicPro is my preferred ceramic company). PPF over ceramic defeats the purpose of the ceramic.

@RobR651 knows ceramic more but I think you want to have a full paint correction done and then ppf, and ceramic over the top since the XPEL will long outlast the ceramic coating.

The concerns about hazing, peeling. and dirt are valid but I will say.....ppf has come a very very long way in the last 3-5 years and is much better then the stuff we saw say 8-10 years ago. Are you considering a full body ppf or partials? Any panel that is ppf-ed, I would do the whole panel. You will see some dirt lines in say 5 years if you do the half hood package or partial stuff. The other big thing is, good ppf shops use the precut templates from XPEL with minimal custom cutting so its cut precisely to where it needs to go up to or where it can, wrap around an edge to fully seal any debris from getting in or compromising any seams.

Ceramic tint is much better at reflecting UV rays and keeping the interior cooler then traditional window tint. It doesn't really matter if you do ppf/ceramic before or after the tint but I usually get tint first incase the tint guy uses the outside of the glass to prep the tint film. I prefer machine cut tint shops so the lines are perfect and make sure they pad the entire dash with rags if your getting any part of the windshield tinted.

Last edited:
OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
You want to Ceramic over the ppf. Ceramic is mostly to help keep the truck clean and easier to wash. Prevents some micro scratches and reduces odds of swirling but its all about making the truck look cleaner and easier to keep looking clean.

I don't think XPEL (my preferred ppf company) would cure well to ceramic (CeramicPro is my preferred ceramic company). PPF over ceramic defeats the purpose of the ceramic.

@RobR651 knows ceramic more but I think you want to have a full paint correction done and then ppf, and ceramic over the top since the XPEL will long outlast the ceramic coating.

The concerns about hazing, peeling. and dirt are valid but I will say.....ppf has come a very very long way in the last 3-5 years and is much better then the stuff we saw say 8-10 years ago. Are you considering a full body ppf or partials? Any panel that is ppf-ed, I would do the whole panel. You will see some dirt lines in say 5 years if you do the half hood package or partial stuff. The other big thing is, good ppf shops use the precut templates from XPEL with minimal custom cutting so its cut precisely to where it needs to go up to or where it can, wrap around an edge to fully seal any debris from getting in or compromising any seams.

Ceramic tint is much better at reflecting UV rays and keeping the interior cooler then traditional window tint. It doesn't really matter if you do ppf/ceramic before or after the tint but I usually get tint first incase the tint guy uses the outside of the glass to prep the tint film. I prefer machine cut tint shops so the lines are perfect and make sure they pad the entire dash with rags if your getting any part of the windshield tinted.
Thanks for the info! So if I ceramic it now, I would need to wait a couple years for a ceramic reapply to then PPF under? I still do not understand how the PPF is able to self heal under a hard ceramic coating…wouldn’t the hard ceramic keep it from healing (hard to imagine the PPF film being able to move under a hard coating)?

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
Thanks for the info! So if I ceramic it now, I would need to wait a couple years for a ceramic reapply to then PPF under? I still do not understand how the PPF is able to self heal under a hard ceramic coating…wouldn’t the hard ceramic keep it from healing (hard to imagine the PPF film being able to move under a hard coating)?
Here is a good read: https://www.clearbraohio.com/paint-protection-film-blog/ceramic-coating-ppf-ohio

I am not a pro myself but pulled this straight off XPELs site to make sure I am official haha:
1623359962913.png

So most newer ppf films are made to be coated over and retain self-healing. Ceramic pro made a new ppf film that supposedly works with their coatings but being honest, it hasnt been on the market long enough to know what it looks like in 10 years. The XPEL Ultimate Plus has been around for years so we can see vehicles with it after 5-6 years and see that it holds up. Same with XPELs coatings. No one knows if its good for 5 years like they say since its only been around for a year but CeramicPro has been around for a few years and I can say they're 5 year package is good for 3 years or so.

If you ceramic now, then in 3-5 years, instead of recharging the ceramic coating, they would have to buff it off and then apply ppf and coat over the top and in 3-5 years, you will already have gotten small chips and stuff. I wouldn't spend the money for ppf 3-5 years from now but if you want to ppf, now is the best time while its newest.

Also for ceramic, make sure you get prices that include windshield and side glass. The CeramicPro package includes windshield and 2 front windows and the rest of the glass is extra. Ceramic glass is good for 1 year. (it costs 90 bucks to have the windshield and front 2 glass redone in a year).

OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
Here is a good read: https://www.clearbraohio.com/paint-protection-film-blog/ceramic-coating-ppf-ohio

I am not a pro myself but pulled this straight off XPELs site to make sure I am official haha:
View attachment 15019

So most newer ppf films are made to be coated over and retain self-healing. Ceramic pro made a new ppf film that supposedly works with their coatings but being honest, it hasnt been on the market long enough to know what it looks like in 10 years. The XPEL Ultimate Plus has been around for years so we can see vehicles with it after 5-6 years and see that it holds up. Same with XPELs coatings. No one knows if its good for 5 years like they say since its only been around for a year but CeramicPro has been around for a few years and I can say they're 5 year package is good for 3 years or so.

If you ceramic now, then in 3-5 years, instead of recharging the ceramic coating, they would have to buff it off and then apply ppf and coat over the top and in 3-5 years, you will already have gotten small chips and stuff. I wouldn't spend the money for ppf 3-5 years from now but if you want to ppf, now is the best time while its newest.

Also for ceramic, make sure you get prices that include windshield and side glass. The CeramicPro package includes windshield and 2 front windows and the rest of the glass is extra. Ceramic glass is good for 1 year. (it costs 90 bucks to have the windshield and front 2 glass redone in a year).
Thank you again! Is the ceramic on the glass & windshield different than ceramic tint? So basically if I ceramic it now do not worry about PPF. Would ceramic & being able to clean the grime off easier be worth doing before trip & giving up PPF? Think a cross country road trip before I PPF & ceramic will add a lot as far as price to prep & clean before install?

OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
Oh and will removing or replacing the PPF later remove or damage my graphics on the truck?

Dawg70

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
Nate
Just had AP3 Atlanta do PPF on the front and hood of my truck and then had the rest of the truck done with ceramic coating. Also had Hellcat emblems added. Truck turned it out great.

Attachments

• 5721C400-EA7C-4C6F-8F27-BC425B7B7E04.jpeg
    5721C400-EA7C-4C6F-8F27-BC425B7B7E04.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 4A7FEEF6-0C49-4E94-A047-DBEE0A79D06A.jpeg
    4A7FEEF6-0C49-4E94-A047-DBEE0A79D06A.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 42
  • C292A64B-AB4B-4C87-9929-FBA665EE230A.jpeg
    C292A64B-AB4B-4C87-9929-FBA665EE230A.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2CEEDB6E-D9AF-4280-97FF-F6FD3E4456F7.jpeg
    2CEEDB6E-D9AF-4280-97FF-F6FD3E4456F7.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 3D21A388-904F-4426-871E-711CFD258635.jpeg
    3D21A388-904F-4426-871E-711CFD258635.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 38
  • BE8977D3-4E14-4436-94B5-2A33B1B30009.jpeg
    BE8977D3-4E14-4436-94B5-2A33B1B30009.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 42

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
Thank you again! Is the ceramic on the glass & windshield different than ceramic tint? So basically if I ceramic it now do not worry about PPF. Would ceramic & being able to clean the grime off easier be worth doing before trip & giving up PPF? Think a cross country road trip before I PPF & ceramic will add a lot as far as price to prep & clean before install?
No prob! When I say ceramic on the glass, I mean ceramic coating the outside of the glass with to make it hydrophobic (water beads up on contact). Its basically a year long coating of rain-x. Ceramic tint is film on the inside of the glass that darkens the window and prevents UV rays from coming in. Most states have legal limits on how dark you can go with window tint.

Honestly, I would do what @Dawg70 had done. PPF the front and hood and then ceramic the entire truck. If you are going on a cross country road trip, I would have mud flaps put on as well. It will go a long way in protecting the side from any rock chips. Your own truck is more likely to chip the side then anything else so mud flaps will help mitigate a lot of that risk and ppf on the front and hood help protect against rock chips from vehicles infront of you. Its the best protection for the price.

Ceramic will make cleaning on the road trip easier BUT once its ceramic coated, you can no longer use a machine car wash. You would either have to hand wash or find a touchless carwash the TRX will fit in. To maximize the life of the ceramic coating, you don't want an abrasive roller running across it.

Have you had issues with rock chips on previous vehicles? How long do you plan on keeping this truck?

OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
No prob! When I say ceramic on the glass, I mean ceramic coating the outside of the glass with to make it hydrophobic (water beads up on contact). Its basically a year long coating of rain-x. Ceramic tint is film on the inside of the glass that darkens the window and prevents UV rays from coming in. Most states have legal limits on how dark you can go with window tint.

Honestly, I would do what @Dawg70 had done. PPF the front and hood and then ceramic the entire truck. If you are going on a cross country road trip, I would have mud flaps put on as well. It will go a long way in protecting the side from any rock chips. Your own truck is more likely to chip the side then anything else so mud flaps will help mitigate a lot of that risk and ppf on the front and hood help protect against rock chips from vehicles infront of you. Its the best protection for the price.

Ceramic will make cleaning on the road trip easier BUT once its ceramic coated, you can no longer use a machine car wash. You would either have to hand wash or find a touchless carwash the TRX will fit in. To maximize the life of the ceramic coating, you don't want an abrasive roller running across it.

Have you had issues with rock chips on previous vehicles? How long do you plan on keeping this truck?
Already have the mud flaps on. Got RokBlokz and they look better on than I thought they would (more subtle like I wanted) & so far protecting well. As far as rock chip issues on other vehicles..no issues *knock on wood* but you never know lol. And we keep our vehicles (love well cared for & no debt) unless trading in oldest. Definitely not a “new car every year” fam.

OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
Just had AP3 Atlanta do PPF on the front and hood of my truck and then had the rest of the truck done with ceramic coating. Also had Hellcat emblems added. Truck turned it out great.
It does look great!!!

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
Already have the mud flaps on. Got RokBlokz and they look better on than I thought they would (more subtle like I wanted) & so far protecting well. As far as rock chip issues on other vehicles..no issues *knock on wood* but you never know lol. And we keep our vehicles (love well cared for & no debt) unless trading in oldest. Definitely not a “new car every year” fam.
Nice! If you haven't had rock chip issues in the past then your call on needing full ppf. You are moderately protected with the mud flaps and longer steps for the sides. If you can't get it done before your trip and go ceramic coating then ppf isn't really an option when you get back without having the ceramic coating buffed off.

I have 2k miles on my TRX and no rock chips and I tend to get rock chips on everything I own. I was very lucky on the Raptor as well. I think it has a lot to do with the front of the TRX having a lot of textured plastics and metal bumper. Same with the Raptor. The truck sits very high so the hood isn't as exposed. There is some painted are below the headlight that's exposed to a direct impact but the rest of the front on the TRX isn't chip prone anyways. Curious to know what other peoples thoughts are but just my 2 cents so far.

KEWLGUY53403

TRX Member
Reaction score
Name
AK
Current Ride
Trackhawk
Where did you get the hellcat logo?

Trxtyrant

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Name
Trx tyrant
Current Ride
2021 ram Trx Flame red- Loaded
Heya all! I am in a situation where I do not have reputable PPF installers near me so would have to drive over an hour (and still not sure who is reputable with PPF in the city). Installers matter so would take time to find one not to mention time & logistics of hubby being able to give me a ride back from somewhere over an hour away.

I have however found a ceramic detailer close to me who has been very helpful answering questions (even suggesting I go to city to have PPF & ceramic done if I wanted both since he does not do PPF) & has great reviews. And we can get my truck in to get the ceramic with enough time to cure before my road trip.

Can you PPF over ceramic? If so, does it dull the shine or can totally tell where the PPF is? I do not want to rush into PPF because I have questions I still need answered, a time limit I need it all done by, & logistical issues with coordinating a ride back & to pick up with it being over an hour away. I think it is best dealt with when I am back. So I was thinking of at least getting the ceramic so it is at least easier to get all the road trip grime off. If I do that, can I PPF later if I want to without you being able to tell or look weird?

Now the detailer I am looking at does not do window tinting..:he concentrates only on detailing. Does it matter if I tint the windows before or after? What is the difference between a ceramic tint & regular tint?

Now the PPF questions. How does it age..does it get hazy/yellow, does it peel, does it trap dirt, does it look ugly & defeat the purpose of keeping your truck looking good by protecting the paint? I also heard there can be issues with factory graphics which I do not want to remove (I love them & not paying for them again when they were already pricey to begin with lol). Also precut vs custom cut…precut rules out any chance of the paint being cut into but hear you can see where the lines are & it traps dirt & have to be careful with pressure sprayers…custom cut can wrap into the seams so no visible lines but run the risk of you paint being cut into. Is that risk worth it? And if supposed to get PPF under ceramic how does the PPF manage to heal under the ceramic?

Thanks all!!!
Hey

so the simple answer is no. I did my 2018 raptor and also my trx two weeks ago. Your best order to do them is ppf first. Let that dry and make sure no bubbles or issues. Then ceramic. My good friend does it for a long time now. And he does ppf first. Then a two step paint correction( polish) decontaminate paint. Then finally ceramic coat. I use ceramic pro silver package now on three vehicles. Held up great. Lastly let it cure about 5 days indoors. And dont wash vehicle for 2 weeks. Other people may say less. I also did ceramic uv tints all around and winshield aswell. Came out pretty good! 🤟🏼

Attachments

• A433D716-04ED-45FA-BD49-84F34D92FD90.jpeg
    A433D716-04ED-45FA-BD49-84F34D92FD90.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 21

RobR651

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
2015 Ram 1500
Nice! If you haven't had rock chip issues in the past then your call on needing full ppf. You are moderately protected with the mud flaps and longer steps for the sides. If you can't get it done before your trip and go ceramic coating then ppf isn't really an option when you get back without having the ceramic coating buffed off.

I have 2k miles on my TRX and no rock chips and I tend to get rock chips on everything I own. I was very lucky on the Raptor as well. I think it has a lot to do with the front of the TRX having a lot of textured plastics and metal bumper. Same with the Raptor. The truck sits very high so the hood isn't as exposed. There is some painted are below the headlight that's exposed to a direct impact but the rest of the front on the TRX isn't chip prone anyways. Curious to know what other peoples thoughts are but just my 2 cents so far.
Xpel has a ppf kit for the front leading edge of the hood and the painted areas of the front near the headlights. If you have a licensed xpel installer in your area, it’s also a good option. That is what I’m going to go with.

JumpSquadAuto

TRX Addict
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX
Current Ride #2
2020 C8 Corvette
Xpel has a ppf kit for the front leading edge of the hood and the painted areas of the front near the headlights. If you have a licensed xpel installer in your area, it’s also a good option. That is what I’m going to go with.
A friend of mine is an XPEL installer and ceramic pro installer. I skipped XPEL this go around but what you said is I think the best amount of XPEL

OP
Riala

Riala

That Girl!!!
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 RAM TRX “The Beast”
Current Ride #2
Military
Vet Air Force
Hey

so the simple answer is no. I did my 2018 raptor and also my trx two weeks ago. Your best order to do them is ppf first. Let that dry and make sure no bubbles or issues. Then ceramic. My good friend does it for a long time now. And he does ppf first. Then a two step paint correction( polish) decontaminate paint. Then finally ceramic coat. I use ceramic pro silver package now on three vehicles. Held up great. Lastly let it cure about 5 days indoors. And dont wash vehicle for 2 weeks. Other people may say less. I also did ceramic uv tints all around and winshield aswell. Came out pretty good! 🤟🏼
It does look good!!! I might just have to skip PPF this round because not enough time to do both before trip or just wait until I am back to get both. I am at least going to get the ceramic tint to help with the heat lol

RAM TRX Forum Supporting Member Badge

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com