Overlanding

WolverineHusky

TRX Junkie
Founding Member
Gallery
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX, 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7, 2018 Road Glide Ultra, 2020 Ducati Scrambler Sport Pro 1100
Do we have some overland folks on the forums?

Though the Jeep 392 or Powerwagon might be better choices, I'm picking up the TRX in part for overlanding and weekend 4x4ing.

This past weekend I hit central washington to overland in the snow in my 12 Ram 2500 cummins. The 2500 is more of a work/farm type truck, but she handled the deep snow alright. We tried to make it up to a remote cabin that a friend of a friend owns, but had to pull back about 1/4 mile from the cabin as the snow was just do crazy. While backing down (couldn't turn around) I ended up getting off center on the Ram and stuck. We didn't realize we went over a small bridge over a creek ( bridge and creek covered in snow and ice and didn't see it). Driver's side wheel went over the bridge into the creek and axle on the bridge and truck wouldn't move.

We hiked to the cabin and brought back a jack (saved our bacon) and firewood and ended up jacking up the truck, building a bridge and getting free.

So any other overlanders on the forums? What are your plans for the TRX if you plan to do some serious offroading exploration? Pics encouraged!

From my weekend trip:

Ended up pitching tents in a prairie near the area I got stuck.

20210221_092114.jpg

Jacked up the 2500 and made a bridge to get over the creek. Really got lucky we found a jack or we'd have to call a 4x4 tow place to get us.
20210220_171033 (1).jpg

Dinner!

IMG_6889.jpeg

My dog exploring
IMG_6891.jpeg

So without getting into the usual argument about what overloading actually is, as in is it just a nicely equipped off-road camping truck or something you could literally cross continents with being off grid for days and with a high degree of self sufficiency.

Usually size and weight are enemies of overland builds. Basically you have to look at an ovelanding vehicle as a Swiss army knife, the more tools the owner and the vehicle has at their disposal the better prepared they are for whatever may come their way, the less likely they are to be stranded, and there are places off road where a truck the size of a TRX just won't be able to get through, be they in a dense forest environment or tight rock crawling type environment. Not many mind you, and it may be moot where you go, so that might not be an issue for you specifically. Truth is there are actually very few places on earth left for real overloading, so really what we're talking about these days when that term is used is a go camping in remote areas vehicle, but that just doesn't have the ring of 'overlanding.' :)

In that context of overlanding you're really talking about weight/stuff balance. Meaning that you need a lot of gear to schlep without losing off road capabilities. I sort of had my Raptor set up that way. I didn't have a rack with a tent or jugs for water and fuel, but I had the truck full of survival gear, supplies, recovery gear, air compressor, jack, solar generator, portable tents, water filtration, first aid supplies, etc. All of that was stored in the Decked system. It was really more of a bug out prepared vehicle in case we needed to disappear in the desert for a week than overlanding per se, but it sure did add a lot of weight on a truck who's rear suspension wasn't designed for it, and so not only did it squat but it also swayed something crazy. I could not have done it without swapping to much stronger hd rear leaf springs.

You could be adding as much if not more weight to the TRX to make it an overlander as you describe it, and as far as I know there are no stiffer springs available for it yet. In fact that's why I've held up on doing the same to the TRX and have all the gear sitting in storage.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative about it, just be mindful of how the TRX as a desert truck handles weight.

Looking forward to your build. (y)

hey, i liked your recovery description and the food....
however, i never go on these excursions with 1 vehicle. never.
enjoy

So without getting into the usual argument about what overloading actually is, as in is it just a nicely equipped off-road camping truck or something you could literally cross continents with being off grid for days and with a high degree of self sufficiency.

Usually size and weight are enemies of overland builds. Basically you have to look at an ovelanding vehicle as a Swiss army knife, the more tools the owner and the vehicle has at their disposal the better prepared they are for whatever may come their way, the less likely they are to be stranded, and there are places off road where a truck the size of a TRX just won't be able to get through, be they in a dense forest environment or tight rock crawling type environment. Not many mind you, and it may be moot where you go, so that might not be an issue for you specifically. Truth is there are actually very few places on earth left for real overloading, so really what we're talking about these days when that term is used is a go camping in remote areas vehicle, but that just doesn't have the ring of 'overlanding.' :)

In that context of overlanding you're really talking about weight/stuff balance. Meaning that you need a lot of gear to schlep without losing off road capabilities. I sort of had my Raptor set up that way. I didn't have a rack with a tent or jugs for water and fuel, but I had the truck full of survival gear, supplies, recovery gear, air compressor, jack, solar generator, portable tents, water filtration, first aid supplies, etc. All of that was stored in the Decked system. It was really more of a bug out prepared vehicle in case we needed to disappear in the desert for a week than overlanding per se, but it sure did add a lot of weight on a truck who's rear suspension wasn't designed for it, and so not only did it squat but it also swayed something crazy. I could not have done it without swapping to much stronger hd rear leaf springs.

You could be adding as much if not more weight to the TRX to make it an overlander as you describe it, and as far as I know there are no stiffer springs available for it yet. In fact that's why I've held up on doing the same to the TRX and have all the gear sitting in storage.

Anyway, I don't mean to be negative about it, just be mindful of how the TRX as a desert truck handles weight.

Looking forward to your build. (y)

Thanks for the excellent advice and insight.

Though I'm not new to the outdoor camping and LIGHT 4x4ing I'm complete new to true overlanding. What you say makes a ton of sense, and I did start off by saying that overlanding in a TRX probably isn't ideal (I Jeep Wrangler would be my preferred vehicle).

hey, i liked your recovery description and the food....
however, i never go on these excursions with 1 vehicle. never.
enjoy

Yea, good advice.

I learned a lot on this trip (we also didn't have cell service which in hindsight was pretty stupid that we didn't have a back-up communication plan considering where we were).

Still learning so love the tips!

Thanks for the excellent advice and insight.

Though I'm not new to the outdoor camping and LIGHT 4x4ing I'm complete new to true overlanding. What you say makes a ton of sense, and I did start off by saying that overlanding in a TRX probably isn't ideal (I Jeep Wrangler would be my preferred vehicle).

I'm sure you know that some of the most famous overlanding vehicles were VW bugs and other basic vehicles. Their specific appeal, other than budget, was the ease with which they could be fixed anywhere in the world and off civilization.

Everything can really technically be an overland vehicle, it's just a matter of how good of one it is and how many available tools it has at its disposal. Yes wranglers are good, so are 4runners and Land Cruisers, LR4s, and many others.

I honestly didn't mean to dissuade you from using a TRX as one, fuel consumption aside, with some rear suspension reinforcement it work really well. And for some people size is an advantage. Taker for example the AEV Prospector XL. That's a actually a good example ... you could get one completely built for the same or less than a TRX and have a much better overlander.

ETA: Think about going to one of these: https://www.overlandexpo.com/whats-new/overland-expo-2020-postponed. I went to one and learned so much both from the vendors and the attendees. They'll certainly have more sound advice for you than anything I'd be able to offer. (y)

A buddy of mine is actually overloading in the midwest as we speak...has a retrofitted GMC Yukon. He is on the Facebook Ram 1500 TRX group. If you are on the FB site and pose the same question, I will have him answer up if he doesn't automatically.

I have to agree with some of the questions of what actually is Overlanding? I’ve always thought of like Australia, Africa, Parts of South America. The videos I Have watch people are eating five star restaurant meals on the trail. Followed up with ice cream!lol that’s the way I would like it anyway!!😆.

@soulsea - I think you hit the nail on the head. This is a desert truck. Now being ex Israeli Air force, I can take a TRX, load my sand mats, some straps, 100 extra gallons of fuel, 50 gallon of water, a cooler, some netting and a shade tarp and I can overland in the desert to my hart content. Trying to do the same in Northern USA, Canada or Alaska will get me killed!

So for a real cold weather overlanding there is so much more equipment you need then for desert overlanding that weight does become an issue.

I was actually in the process of ordering an AEV Prospector (similar to one in pic) when the TRX was announced. The reason I decided to go for the TRX (for now) is that it's a better DD option and there was a shortage of gears and the prospectors were temporarily being completed with the stock 3:73s. No good for 40s. I plan to build the TRX into more capable overlander (short exploration) for now but I know I will ultimately get the Prospector someday. The TRX was too good to pass up for now. We won't see trucks like the TRX being offered for much longer.

I agree with the statements above about size of an overland rig, but as I age I appreciate a spacious cabin and creature comforts in my vehicles to make the whole family comfortable, along with the storage/towing capability of a big rig. If that means I can't go to certain areas, that's fine. More of an excuse to explore on two wheels which is my preferred method. Hell I'll buy an Earthroamer in a heartbeat when I'm too old to ride!
AEV.PNG

AEV 2.PNG

i find the aev winch bumper the coolest. however, they r not yet out with a fit for the trx. i recon it needs adaptation as to the weight. i know they r working on 1 for the trx.
my plan is to install steel runningboards fit for the highlift jack. rear box would get a hood/canopy with 2 side doors and 1 rear. same silhouette & color as the cabin. internal led lighting.
box content-rear: 75 liter waeco fridge/freezer on australian slide-dropdown (1ft) with sbs complete slide kitchen (sink, water, 3 gas burners.
box content-front: left-30gal petrol tank. right-30gal water tank. both w pumps
box content-center: air compressor, 200AH battery with battery mgmt system, DC-AC 2000W converter
complete aluminum floor divided into 8 easy disassembly tiles for service purposes. 2nd floor for recovery equipment, tents, backpacks etc.
ps. i looked at the option of a larger replacement gas tank. it is not legal in the US. in australia it is custom to replace gas tanks especially in the diesel trucks and diesel V8 landcruisers. i know there is a local co awaiting his trx truck so he can design the add-on or replacement. dont know whether petrol add-ons r legal there.

i was about to build something relatively similar in my powerwagon. 400+watts solar on the roof of bed cap 600Amp hours 24v with full kithcen in the rear and electric water heater and burners, and portable AC system for tent.

Ramboxes and a failed transmission is why i just sold it really...bed space is ideal.

i find the aev winch bumper the coolest. however, they r not yet out with a fit for the trx. i recon it needs adaptation as to the weight. i know they r working on 1 for the trx.
my plan is to install steel runningboards fit for the highlift jack. rear box would get a hood/canopy with 2 side doors and 1 rear. same silhouette & color as the cabin. internal led lighting.
box content-rear: 75 liter waeco fridge/freezer on australian slide-dropdown (1ft) with sbs complete slide kitchen (sink, water, 3 gas burners.
box content-front: left-30gal petrol tank. right-30gal water tank. both w pumps
box content-center: air compressor, 200AH battery with battery mgmt system, DC-AC 2000W converter
complete aluminum floor divided into 8 easy disassembly tiles for service purposes. 2nd floor for recovery equipment, tents, backpacks etc.
ps. i looked at the option of a larger replacement gas tank. it is not legal in the US. in australia it is custom to replace gas tanks especially in the diesel trucks and diesel V8 landcruisers. i know there is a local co awaiting his trx truck so he can design the add-on or replacement. dont know whether petrol add-ons r legal there.
That sounds like an awesome build. Biggest issue/concern with the TRX is payload. Mine is family hauler so payload for a build is pathetic. Limiting my build to short CO based exploration due to payload. We are doing a two month long road trip this summer in it so first steps will be bed rack with plenty of storage options and a few fuel containers. After road trip I’ll build for the type of exploring and boondock camping we do.

so, currently, following further checks, i am not aware of any supplier working on a trx winch bumper.

Do we have some overland folks on the forums?

Though the Jeep 392 or Powerwagon might be better choices, I'm picking up the TRX in part for overlanding and weekend 4x4ing.

This past weekend I hit central washington to overland in the snow in my 12 Ram 2500 cummins. The 2500 is more of a work/farm type truck, but she handled the deep snow alright. We tried to make it up to a remote cabin that a friend of a friend owns, but had to pull back about 1/4 mile from the cabin as the snow was just do crazy. While backing down (couldn't turn around) I ended up getting off center on the Ram and stuck. We didn't realize we went over a small bridge over a creek ( bridge and creek covered in snow and ice and didn't see it). Driver's side wheel went over the bridge into the creek and axle on the bridge and truck wouldn't move.

We hiked to the cabin and brought back a jack (saved our bacon) and firewood and ended up jacking up the truck, building a bridge and getting free.

So any other overlanders on the forums? What are your plans for the TRX if you plan to do some serious offroading exploration? Pics encouraged!

From my weekend trip:

Ended up pitching tents in a prairie near the area I got stuck.

View attachment 5867
Jacked up the 2500 and made a bridge to get over the creek. Really got lucky we found a jack or we'd have to call a 4x4 tow place to get us.
View attachment 5868

Dinner!

View attachment 5870

My dog exploring
View attachment 5871
What a great story and experience. These are my favorite type of trips...

At some point I'll share one or two of my snow stories, neither of which include staying overnight in the snow like this.

As far as overlanding, I do not think the TRX will be your best bet at carrying any significant weight, but I only picked up my TRX last night. Day trips or overnight trips with moderate to light loads, the TRX will be phenomenal. Just my opinion.

For overlanding, I still want an AEV Prospector XL. If you are not familiar with it, look it up. AEV builds high quality stuff designed for overlanding and every day use. I have had it on multiple jeeps and disliked the jeeps that did not have AEV suspension.

EDIT: just saw I did not read the entire thread before responding... and AEV has been mentioned more than once.... sorry bought that.

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back