One Can Dream Thread -- Desired Build & Feedback

vtech243

TRX Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
WK2 SRT
Wanted to create a post to document my build to get any feedback. Some of this will 100% be preference -- but interested in everyone's rationale for their build. Only highlighted areas where I felt there was a preference or option to do something different ...

My Build if I could buy one today (total MSRP of $79,580):
  • Bright White Two Tone
  • TRX Hood Graphics (only)
  • Standard Mirrors
  • Standard Wheels
  • No Side Step / Running Boards or Pick-Up Box Features
  • Level 1 Equipment Group
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Harman Kardon Sound
  • NO Dual-Pane Sunroof
  • Remote Start
  • ParkSense Front & Rear Assist
  • Blind-Spot/Cross-Path Detection
In general, I am going for more of a "minimalist" look in the exterior which is the rational for no side steps, pick-up box features, standard wheels/mirrors, etc. This would be the first white vehicle I have ever owned (typically go for darker colors) -- but I just think it looks great in the two-tone. I don't like the full white hood in pictures, which is why I would add the Hood Graphics to complete the look.

I don't think the Level 2 Equipment group is worth it for me personally unless you want the Carbon Fiber Package interior (which is only available with L2). I actually prefer the standard interior w/o all the red accent stitching -- I know this one will be personal preference. Doing L1 vs. L2 saves you $4,500, however, I would still get the Remote Start, ParkSense, and Blind-Spot/Cross-Path options (all three cost $1,285) since I have liked those on my Jeep SRT. If the Adaptive Cruise was sold as an option I would have got that as well but don't want the entire Advanced Safety Group -- also would probably not use the TRX in situations where I would want Adaptive Cruise. The Bed Utility group also would be great so tacked that on.

Lastly, I would jump for the Harman Kardon sound but avoid the sunroof. As I've gotten older, I've realized how little I use the sun-roof and when I shut the sun-shade on my Jeep, I don't really even notice/care that I am not getting any sun. At the same time, I've had issues with FCA sunroof creeks/noises and don't want to risk that with the TRX (although it will probably be loud enough not to notice).

Really like your build and white was my second color choice, think it looks distinguished but still tough. I can appreciate the minimalist approach especially if you're on a budget or really trying to maximize payload and keep weight down.

As you mention this is totally personal preference so folks are building their trucks based on what's important to them and how the plan to use it. For me, I plan on using this truck for exactly how it was made... purpose built NO compromise diverse on/off road beast. I live in Colorado and plan on to use this for street racing, rock climbing, off-road baja and jumping, towing/camping/snowboarding, date night with the wife, playing in the heavy snow, and my year-round daily driver.

All that being said...
Here is my order and list of options selected. Anything not on this list I passed on...
-Granite Crystal
-Two Tone Paint
-19 SPKR Harmon
-MOPAR off-road running boards
-Dual-Pane Sunroof
-Tow Mirrors
-TRX Level 2
-TRX Carbon Fiber
-Advanced Safety Group
-Technology Group
-Trailer Reverse Steering

MSRP: $88,270

Didn't get the bed utility package as it's $845 and comes with (spray-in liner, bed lighting, cargo system, deployable bed-step). For me I prefer Linex bed liner (slightly lighter, more durable, only $500), the bed lighting is included as part of TRX level 2 package, won't use the deployable step, and prefer not to have the cargo system as we use the bed for other purposes/gear not conducive to use with cargo system.

Will be doing lots of towing in the mountains and didn't get the trailer tow group package as it's $395 and comes with (trailer brake control, trailer light check, trailer tire pressure monitoring system). The trailer brake control is included as part of TRX level 2 package, and for me I didn't feel it's necessary to pay for the other two trailer systems (light check and TPMS), especially when to use the TPMS for your trailer, you have to break down the trailer tires and install a TPMS monitor the TRX can connect to. Cool stuff, but not necessary for me since TRX level 2 package included what I need.

Included the tow mirrors as I stated above will be towing and confirmed 95% positive the tow mirrors still include the 360 view camera feature.

Passed on the beadlock wheels as I just like the look of stock black rims on the granite/black truck color, also the beadlock feature is not a requirement for me, just really cool.

Got the running boards so my wife/kids can easily enter/exit this tall truck, and also like the high-mounted tucked look.

Passed on the Ram Bar but would LOVE to have it. Will be installing Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover which will not work with the mounted Ram Bar. Even if the Ram Bar would work with my tonneau cover, we use the integrated T-SLOT rail system in the tonneau cover for cross bars to mount above the bed so we can mount/carry bikes/snowboards/gear and all that would get in the way if the Ram Bar was mounted. Bummed about this one... :(

Passed on the interior red accents... they look really cool, but I think it would be one of those features that are cool at first but would become a bit extreme over time and I would be asking myself why did I add it.

All the other upgrades/technology/safety gadgets I added due to luxury and cool factor, even though I won't need/require them. For example, added the trailer reverse steering control and honestly will probably only use it once to try it out, but it's really cool and my wife would use it and hoping it might add a smidge to resale 8 years down the road.

Passed on the sticker graphics as they fade over time and kind of thought it would be cool to make this truck look stealth without added badging attention and simply just tint the front two windows.

Really like your build and white was my second color choice, think it looks distinguished but still tough. I can appreciate the minimalist approach especially if you're on a budget or really trying to maximize payload and keep weight down.

As you mention this is totally personal preference so folks are building their trucks based on what's important to them and how the plan to use it. For me, I plan on using this truck for exactly how it was made... purpose built NO compromise diverse on/off road beast. I live in Colorado and plan on to use this for street racing, rock climbing, off-road baja and jumping, towing/camping/snowboarding, date night with the wife, playing in the heavy snow, and my year-round daily driver.

All that being said...
Here is my order and list of options selected. Anything not on this list I passed on...
-Granite Crystal
-Two Tone Paint
-19 SPKR Harmon
-MOPAR off-road running boards
-Dual-Pane Sunroof
-Tow Mirrors
-TRX Level 2
-TRX Carbon Fiber
-Advanced Safety Group
-Technology Group
-Trailer Reverse Steering

MSRP: $88,270

Didn't get the bed utility package as it's $845 and comes with (spray-in liner, bed lighting, cargo system, deployable bed-step). For me I prefer Linex bed liner (slightly lighter, more durable, only $500), the bed lighting is included as part of TRX level 2 package, won't use the deployable step, and prefer not to have the cargo system as we use the bed for other purposes/gear not conducive to use with cargo system.

Will be doing lots of towing in the mountains and didn't get the trailer tow group package as it's $395 and comes with (trailer brake control, trailer light check, trailer tire pressure monitoring system). The trailer brake control is included as part of TRX level 2 package, and for me I didn't feel it's necessary to pay for the other two trailer systems (light check and TPMS), especially when to use the TPMS for your trailer, you have to break down the trailer tires and install a TPMS monitor the TRX can connect to. Cool stuff, but not necessary for me since TRX level 2 package included what I need.

Included the tow mirrors as I stated above will be towing and confirmed 95% positive the tow mirrors still include the 360 view camera feature.

Passed on the beadlock wheels as I just like the look of stock black rims on the granite/black truck color, also the beadlock feature is not a requirement for me, just really cool.

Got the running boards so my wife/kids can easily enter/exit this tall truck, and also like the high-mounted tucked look.

Passed on the Ram Bar but would LOVE to have it. Will be installing Retrax Pro XR tonneau cover which will not work with the mounted Ram Bar. Even if the Ram Bar would work with my tonneau cover, we use the integrated T-SLOT rail system in the tonneau cover for cross bars to mount above the bed so we can mount/carry bikes/snowboards/gear and all that would get in the way if the Ram Bar was mounted. Bummed about this one... :(

Passed on the interior red accents... they look really cool, but I think it would be one of those features that are cool at first but would become a bit extreme over time and I would be asking myself why did I add it.

All the other upgrades/technology/safety gadgets I added due to luxury and cool factor, even though I won't need/require them. For example, added the trailer reverse steering control and honestly will probably only use it once to try it out, but it's really cool and my wife would use it and hoping it might add a smidge to resale 8 years down the road.

Passed on the sticker graphics as they fade over time and kind of thought it would be cool to make this truck look stealth without added badging attention and simply just tint the front two windows.
Long post was long, but I read it anyway!

I can say with 100% certainty that the deployable bed step is something that I thought was something I wouldnt use, but I have it on my current truck and holy crap is it nice to have. Now, if I were 7 feet tall and could just step into the bed, cool, I wouldnt use it, but at 5'10" it is a god send when I need to load stuff to the front of the cab and I dont want to lower the air suspension (wont have that anymore in the TRX).

So, for me, when I looked at the bed utility group I saw a bargain at $845. Last spray in bedliner I had done was around $600, the bed step is amazing and costs around $200 later...the rail system is actually pretty cool and there are some neat things that you can get for it like toolboxes and dividers, plus costs around $200 more bucks I think...and the lighting is another thing that you dont think you need until you get a bedcover and realize that even during the day it can be hard to see to the back, and you are lazy like me and dont want to open the bed cover fully to expose what lurks near the cab, and it is about $120 bucks. Put it all together and you are at $520 in kit before the bed liner. I know that some bedliner places advertise lifetime warranties, but I have taken one in because it was peeling and another that got a chunk taken out of it and both times they declined to fix it for free because they said that it was my fault and not improper application. Your experience may be different than mine, and maybe high jumping is a hobby of yours, but the bed utility group seems like one of the bigger bargains on the option list to me.

Long post was long, but I read it anyway!

I can say with 100% certainty that the deployable bed step is something that I thought was something I wouldnt use, but I have it on my current truck and holy crap is it nice to have. Now, if I were 7 feet tall and could just step into the bed, cool, I wouldnt use it, but at 5'10" it is a god send when I need to load stuff to the front of the cab and I dont want to lower the air suspension (wont have that anymore in the TRX).

So, for me, when I looked at the bed utility group I saw a bargain at $845. Last spray in bedliner I had done was around $600, the bed step is amazing and costs around $200 later...the rail system is actually pretty cool and there are some neat things that you can get for it like toolboxes and dividers, plus costs around $200 more bucks I think...and the lighting is another thing that you dont think you need until you get a bedcover and realize that even during the day it can be hard to see to the back, and you are lazy like me and dont want to open the bed cover fully to expose what lurks near the cab, and it is about $120 bucks. Put it all together and you are at $520 in kit before the bed liner. I know that some bedliner places advertise lifetime warranties, but I have taken one in because it was peeling and another that got a chunk taken out of it and both times they declined to fix it for free because they said that it was my fault and not improper application. Your experience may be different than mine, and maybe high jumping is a hobby of yours, but the bed utility group seems like one of the bigger bargains on the option list to me.
LOL... sorry for such a long post, almost just short of bible scripture length... :)

I may end up adding the deployable bed step later, but knowing my OCD nature I would want it added on both sides of the truck to stay symmetrical. You have some really valid points.

LOL... sorry for such a long post, almost just short of bible scripture length... :)

I may end up adding the deployable bed step later, but knowing my OCD nature I would want it added on both sides of the truck to stay symmetrical. You have some really valid points.

It’s like a diary for truck addicts ? — Ram Bar would be badass but that’s A LOT for the Northeast. I hate getting features and never using them (like ventilated seats) but totally understand the cool factor. I would think actually the sunroof of all things would help w/ re-sale value because it always seems people that want them really want them. Thanks for sharing!

Wanted to create a post to document my build to get any feedback. Some of this will 100% be preference -- but interested in everyone's rationale for their build. Only highlighted areas where I felt there was a preference or option to do something different ...

My Build if I could buy one today (total MSRP of $79,580):
  • Bright White Two Tone
  • TRX Hood Graphics (only)
  • Standard Mirrors
  • Standard Wheels
  • No Side Step / Running Boards or Pick-Up Box Features
  • Level 1 Equipment Group
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Harman Kardon Sound
  • NO Dual-Pane Sunroof
  • Remote Start
  • ParkSense Front & Rear Assist
  • Blind-Spot/Cross-Path Detection
In general, I am going for more of a "minimalist" look in the exterior which is the rational for no side steps, pick-up box features, standard wheels/mirrors, etc. This would be the first white vehicle I have ever owned (typically go for darker colors) -- but I just think it looks great in the two-tone. I don't like the full white hood in pictures, which is why I would add the Hood Graphics to complete the look.

I don't think the Level 2 Equipment group is worth it for me personally unless you want the Carbon Fiber Package interior (which is only available with L2). I actually prefer the standard interior w/o all the red accent stitching -- I know this one will be personal preference. Doing L1 vs. L2 saves you $4,500, however, I would still get the Remote Start, ParkSense, and Blind-Spot/Cross-Path options (all three cost $1,285) since I have liked those on my Jeep SRT. If the Adaptive Cruise was sold as an option I would have got that as well but don't want the entire Advanced Safety Group -- also would probably not use the TRX in situations where I would want Adaptive Cruise. The Bed Utility group also would be great so tacked that on.

Lastly, I would jump for the Harman Kardon sound but avoid the sunroof. As I've gotten older, I've realized how little I use the sun-roof and when I shut the sun-shade on my Jeep, I don't really even notice/care that I am not getting any sun. At the same time, I've had issues with FCA sunroof creeks/noises and don't want to risk that with the TRX (although it will probably be loud enough not to notice).
Personally ever since I rented a Navigator in 2010 while in Florida with air conditioned seats my next vehicle and every vehicle since then has had that option. For me I literally use them year round even in february in the midwest....The only way to get this truck with that option was to go with the level 2 group. For your build if you sacrificed the TRX hood graphics (which you can buy aftermarket for less than $50) and the harmon kardon you could get a base truck in white with the level 2 group that would have everything you selected and more for $79,860....

you would lose:
Harmon Kardon
Hood Graphics

you would gain:
leather and suede flat bottom stearing wheel
8 way power driver and passenger seats
memory for adjustable pedals
driver seat memory
memory mirrors
heated and cooled second row seats
cooled front row seats
proximity keyless entry
remote tailgate release
rear reclining seats
surround view camera
trailer brake control
wireless charging pad

you would keep:
parksense front and rear
blind spot and cross path detection

all for only $280 more than your current build

My personal build $83,390
Level 2 (for the air conditioned seats the rest is a bonus)
Tech Group (for the Rear view camera Mirror)
Advanced Safety (For Adaptive Cruise Control)
Bed Utility (For the bed Liner)
Trailer Tow (chose it for the trailer brake and was too late to delete it when I found out the lvl2 came with that option)
Billet Silver
Off Road Running Boards (I have 3 kids under 4 that will need the step to get in and out)

I had originally built out a truck to $94,445 but then I sat back and tried to give myself a budget under 90k which would free up some cash for an EV I wanted to buy. So everything now follows a need based off past experience. The carbon fiber package was my only splurge.

Color Granite - my '16 Hellcat was this color (Wished they offered a purple or green)
Level 2 - Shared a lot of components from my '18 F250 Platinum heated/cooled/memory seats, 360 camera, power adjustable pedals, garage door opener
Technology Group - I always wanted to order a vehicle with heads up display. Auto dimming rear mirror from my '04 Chevy Avalanche
Carbon fiber package
Advanced Safety Group - Adaptive cruise control/lane keep assist I loved from my F250
Bed Utility Group - Only 5'8 so I know I'll use the bed step and I don't have to worry about getting it bedlined
Harmon Kardon - Loved it from my Hellcat
Sunroof - loved it from my F250. Plus my son stares out of it all the time, he'll be 2 in January
Trailer reverse steering control - I hate going thru all the work to back a trailer up and got to keep adjusting to get it in the right spot.

MSRP $87,475
So my build is all tech except trailer tow group that I couldn't add later and no exterior options as they can be added later if I choose. Didn't want running boards because I want Amp steps just like on my F250. I was going to change my build to remove the carbon fiber and add red stitching but I didn't want to loose my place in line. If they come out with a redeye variant of the TRX I'll go down this same rabbit hole then.

So I saved myself 7k with my build that I could set aside for an EV purchase. At the time of ordering I was considering Rivian R1S/Cybertruck/Mach-E but I now reserved the Hummer EV and have 2 years to wait with part of my financing already in my pocket.

Personally ever since I rented a Navigator in 2010 while in Florida with air conditioned seats my next vehicle and every vehicle since then has had that option. For me I literally use them year round even in february in the midwest....The only way to get this truck with that option was to go with the level 2 group. For your build if you sacrificed the TRX hood graphics (which you can buy aftermarket for less than $50) and the harmon kardon you could get a base truck in white with the level 2 group that would have everything you selected and more for $79,860....

RE: air conditioned seats -- I know other car forums have complained that cooled seats are firmer because of the layer needed to do the cooling. Somewhere in the back of my head this has stuck as well. Probably would be different for me in warmer climate. I've had it before and it was definitely nice -- I just tint my windows to the point where the heat is not that bad with just conventual A/C :)

RE: level 2 build -- I think I would also lose the bed utility group too in your build ($895). Great point with the hood graphics -- I did that with a past wrangler. Honestly may be better to go L2 as short-term re-sale value may be higher for people looking for a "loaded" truck in a year or so ...

Noticed you were going from white on your current RAM to silver which I thought was interesting -- do you not like the current white truck? Can't go wrong with your build -- interesting that you like the rear view camera mirror -- feel like that would be a love/hate thing for most people. I wanted Adaptive Cruise Control as well but I really don't use it as much as I would like to justify it. Bummer on the Trailer Two package -- but not too much $$$ pain. With all the amusement parks closing due to COVID the TRX will be a nice alternative for your kids (and you)!

I had originally built out a truck to $94,445 but then I sat back and tried to give myself a budget under 90k which would free up some cash for an EV I wanted to buy. So everything now follows a need based off past experience. The carbon fiber package was my only splurge.

What a time to be alive that we are buying EV & 6.2L Supercharged trucks at the same time :giggle: I'm a low-end torque / non-turbo guy so I've warmed up to EV over time -- just will miss the sound ...

Did they have the real carbon fiber option for the Hellcat in '16? Love granite -- that was probably my #2 pick -- I have that color now. I originally was not a fan of HUD -- first car I had it was on a '19 Camaro SS -- I found it more to be a "daily driver" feature so never used it on joy-rides. However, I am realizing that the rear-view auto-dimming might be interesting so thinking of adding the tech package to my build above -- however pretty sure I would need to go L2 to do that. I'm struggling with the sunroof -- wanting it and not having it may be worse than the inverse -- may modify that as well. It tends to be a "wow feature" that kids (or single girls still for me!) might be into. Maybe I can give FCA benefit of the doubt on sunroof reliability ... seems like a lot went into the development of this truck in other areas which may have carried over.

RE: air conditioned seats -- I know other car forums have complained that cooled seats are firmer because of the layer needed to do the cooling. Somewhere in the back of my head this has stuck as well. Probably would be different for me in warmer climate. I've had it before and it was definitely nice -- I just tint my windows to the point where the heat is not that bad with just conventual A/C :)

RE: level 2 build -- I think I would also lose the bed utility group too in your build ($895). Great point with the hood graphics -- I did that with a past wrangler. Honestly may be better to go L2 as short-term re-sale value may be higher for people looking for a "loaded" truck in a year or so ...

Noticed you were going from white on your current RAM to silver which I thought was interesting -- do you not like the current white truck? Can't go wrong with your build -- interesting that you like the rear view camera mirror -- feel like that would be a love/hate thing for most people. I wanted Adaptive Cruise Control as well but I really don't use it as much as I would like to justify it. Bummer on the Trailer Two package -- but not too much $$$ pain. With all the amusement parks closing due to COVID the TRX will be a nice alternative for your kids (and you)!
I love the ivory tri coat which has the pearl shimmer in the sun, I however am not a fan of just the flat white which is what the TRX has....I ordered mine day one when I found out the color choices I like the look of the black and granite but hate the idea of keeping them clean on a daily driver....The red and blue while they look impressive I'm just not a confident enough person to pull off a bright color like that, as I said I'm not a huge fan of the flat white so I was left with trying to track down and pay for a LE with the anvil, or go with silver and I couldn't justify $10k more on my build with options I didn't want for a color so I went with silver.

The one thing I'm not sure on is the difference in the Harmon Kardon vs the regular system....My current truck and my old hellcat challenger both came with the harmon but they were cars on the lot that I bought and didn't build that already had the option. I know on me (i have a stone ear) it is a waste but I see the majority of people have added that to their builds so for some audiofiles it might be worth it but $1300 for some speakers just seems insane to me when I guarantee I couldn't tell the difference in a blind test.

As far as resale value I don't ever plan on selling this truck it is either going to get totaled or be my daily driver for 10+ years and then be my fun weekend off roader and I'll buy a different daily driver (likely full self driving by then) but if you are concerned about that it does usually pay off to load it up with the most popular features for the value on the back end

At this point talking about it with other enthusiasts and scouring the web for videos of it are the only things that are making the wait tolerable.

I guess you have to ask the question is level 2 worth the $4500 extra over level 1
1604422378102.png

No Carbon in mine in hellcat
1604421618178.png

After owning FCA products with ventilated seats, I will never own another vehicle without them unless it's a one trick pony like a racecar. It may be silly but it's one of my reasons for only buying FCA products. The ventilated seats in my Lexus are a joke by comparison. FCA has the best performing ventilated seats imo however, I have not tried German versions. Just my .02. ?

I have a little girl who is super excited to have heated/cooled rear seats in my truck...so, yeah, worth $4500
My son will be 2 in Janurary. He likes to stare out the panoramic roof in my F250

After owning FCA products with ventilated seats, I will never own another vehicle without them unless it's a one trick pony like a racecar. It may be silly but it's one of my reasons for only buying FCA products. The ventilated seats in my Lexus are a joke by comparison. FCA has the best performing ventilated seats imo however, I have not tried German versions. Just my .02. ?

My F250 Platinum had the best heated/ventilated seats I've tried. Also have them in my '17 Ford Fusion and they suck in comparison to my Platinum.

Back