Oil you prefer... and a few tips

Batman

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram TRX Blacked out, Lvl 2, sun roof, tech, safety & bed group
Hey everybody,

I’m curious to see what oil you typically run in your trucks. Also what do you plan to use in your TRX.

Background on me... I’ve been Territory Manager for an Oil & Automotive Distributor in Texas for over 13 years. I sell a lot to gas stations, dealerships, lube centers, tire & service centers, tractor shops, fleets, municipalities, misc & construction companies. So if you have any oil questions or industry questions, preventive maintenance questions please reach out to me. I’m not an “expert” but I do know a lil lol and know the behind the scenes on what really works and what to watch out for... lol

My best advice is... no matter WHAT brand of oil, never go more than 5,000 miles on Full Synthetics or any other oil.
Why? After 5,000 miles every single “additive” in the oil either stops being effective or is depleted completely around this time. The Oil is only as good as the “base grade” and the ”additives”. Every single chemical engineer has told me this, from Chevron, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Mobil, Valvoline & Phillips 66. I’ve had extensive training from all the major brands. Don’t believe every marketing boohoo or flyers out there saying go “10,000 miles” or 25,000 miles. The oil will last that long, but the additives won’t. You’re basically keeping your engine not well protected after 5,000 miles.

- Stay away from ”Conventional“ oil. Most vehicles require Synthetic blend or Full Synthetic oil. Conventional oil (including Name Brands) don’t have the additives that a Synthetic Blend or Full Synthetic have. The additives do the protecting and cleaning. It’s very important.
- Use an extended life oil filter.
- Make sure to do a Fuel Injection service every 15,000 miles. This is something you can do yourself! Quick and easy
- Make sure ethanol washer fluid is in your washer fluid container when weather can be below 32degrees. They sell it anywhere.

- Have the motor knocking or ticking sound on a GM & Ram truck???
If it takes 6quarts of oil, run 5 quarts or Royal Purple 10w40 HPS and 1 quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Go 3,000 miles... It will help remove the tick.
If it takes 8 quarts of oil, run 6 quarts or Royal Purple 10w40 HPS and 2 quarts of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Go 3,000 miles.... It will help remove the tick.
This recipe will be your new recipe moving forward.. It may take several oil changes, but 90% of the time it will solve the issue. Your vehicle isn’t being lubricated properly. The reason for the tick? It’s often because trucks & SUVs have the cylinder deactivation. Best thing to do is the remove that (with a cheap programmer)

Hope this helps. Keep jammin
- Batman

hmmm, my Ram can go up to 10,000 miles according to the manufactures maintenance and schedule. With my driving style and length of time between changes I usually get to around 9,000 miles before my oil change indicator gets to a couple percent left and I change. Why would the manufacturer, who has to back a warranty, be wrong on this? If anything they would be more conservative. The hellcat engine calls for every 6,000 miles under most conditions.
To answer your question, I will use pennzoil synthetic 0W-40, because that is what it was designed for.

hmmm, my Ram can go up to 10,000 miles according to the manufactures maintenance and schedule. With my driving style and length of time between changes I usually get to around 9,000 miles before my oil change indicator gets to a couple percent left and I change. Why would the manufacturer, who has to back a warranty, be wrong on this? If anything they would be more conservative. The hellcat engine calls for every 6,000 miles under most conditions.
To answer your question, I will use pennzoil synthetic 0W-40, because that is what it was designed for.

The manufacturers are NOT oil engineers. Every single oil engineer complains about this. Every manufacturer are pushing for “longer intervals“ for environmental reasons... for PR and legality reasons. The Cafe standard really moved them to shift to that.

I can tell you from the real experts that the manufacturers are wrong on this. It’s not in the best interest of the motor. The manufacturers do not want your vehicle to last a long time. “Light bulb theory“...

I’m not an expert, I’m just telling you what the experts have taught me in every single training seminar.

You “can” go 10,000 or 12,500 like some Jeeps call for... but its not good for the motor to go past 5,000 miles because your oil is not offering ANY protection at that time. It’s not in your best interest to do this on any motor.

Another reason was that “free oil changes for your first 2 years” was a big sales trick that dealerships were doing. This cost them MILLIONS. I know because I heard all the complaints. They shifted to longer manufacture intervals because it won’t have noticeable engine damaged usually until after 100,000 miles.... Manufacturers are smart about making money and won’t lose money. They pushed the intervals back for 2 main reasons... to save a ton and make a ton on your next vehicle you had to buy because the other didn’t last as long.

The Pennzoil Ultra is very impressive. It’s refined with natural gas.
Don’t trust any other pennzoil product thought lol... The Ultra is really good though!

1 big thing though... It wasn’t designed for Pennzoil Ultra 0w40, you can use ANY reputable Full Synthetic 0w40. Pennzoil is just currently Rams sponsor. It’s actually against the law for Ram to force you to buy a certain brand. Be of guard against dealers trying to force this on you. It will 100% not break your warranty. You just have to use the same oil spec... not their oil brand.(Just something to keep in mind)

I see this a lot with Ford dealers... they tell shops and consumers you have to use Motorcraft oil. Motorcraft oil is NOT made by Ford, it’s blended by the same company that blends Phillips 66 and other oils. Amazon basic oil, Walmarts super tech are the EXACT SAME oil from the EXACT SAME plant, line as a Motorcraft bottle. Lol

Last edited:
I have to agree with demon here. I have personally sent oil to be lab tested after 8k miles and all of the additives were still present and within acceptable levels. There is a whole other forum that talks all about oil analysis so I won't get into all that here. I change my oil every 6 months which means my vehicles typically only go 2000 miles between oil changes, but I would have no issue running a modern synthetic for 8-10k if I had to based on lab results that I have seen.

Not offering "any" protection after 5000 miles. Cmon man, the engine would be seized. I will do what engineers who designed the engine say to do, I have always followed the maintenance schedule, and have had great luck, running my pickups well over 100k miles. To each their own.

I have used Valvoline VR1 synthetic in my turbo cars for a decade. Never once a issue related to oil. Was always changed extremely often. (roadracing) Always used mobil 1 extended performance or Valvoline syn. in all my regular vehicles with 3k mile intervals. Again, never a problem.
@F8Demon,
Manufacturers say they can have intervals that long because they know 97% can make it to 100k miles without failing but will never make 200k because they want you to buy another. I luv ya buddy but people who wait 9k miles to change their oil make me terrified of buying used vehicles.

Not offering "any" protection after 5000 miles. Cmon man, the engine would be seized. I will do what engineers who designed the engine say to do, I have always followed the maintenance schedule, and have had great luck, running my pickups well over 100k miles. To each their own.

I’m just telling you what the experts have told me. The additives deplete dramatically after the 5,000 mark. They are not protecting the motor anywhere near the rate or protection they were doing before then. We are all going to be driving our TRXs pretty hard... and these motors are not worth running the risk.

My 09 Silverado has 243,000 miles with zero issues... while others tick at 120k.

You can do whatever you want bud, I’m just telling you what the real experts have told me who aren’t out for my money...every single one of them and these guys were insanely smart. The car manufacturers who helped design the motor...They don’t design motors to last anymore. Everything is made to fail.

To each their own

You guys are funny, engines are designed to last over 200k these days, that's the standard and price of entry in this competitive market. If vehicles fail after 100k no one would by that brand, even if they didn't plan on keeping it that long. Engines and oil have gotten so good, its never the engine that is the nail in the coffin for the end of life of vehicle anymore. Typically its a transmission, or a head gasket coupled with rust, suspension, ripped interior and it needs brakes and a bunch of other maintenance that it becomes not worth it. Not the engine, and not related to changing the oil 3000 miles later than someone else.

I have used Valvoline VR1 synthetic in my turbo cars for a decade. Never once a issue related to oil. Was always changed extremely often. (roadracing) Always used mobil 1 extended performance or Valvoline syn. in all my regular vehicles with 3k mile intervals. Again, never a problem.
@F8Demon,
Manufacturers say they can have intervals that long because they know 97% can make it to 100k miles without failing but will never make 200k because they want you to buy another. I luv ya buddy but people who wait 9k miles to change their oil make me terrified of buying used vehicles.
100% correct. Guys I‘ve seen and heard soooooo many shady things in my industry that will make you sick. These manufacturers don’t care.
Best thing you can do is 5k every oil change, Reputable Branded Full Synthetic, Extended life oil filter... hope everyone follows because you will not regret it.

I pick up a lot of business because competitors of mine don’t educate their shops and they end up installing chinese oil filters with oil that are not rated properly and they only by vehicle manufacturer interval recommendations... recipe for disaster.
You would be surprised on how many dealerships put aftermarket Chinese oil filters. There are zero regulations on oil filters in the USA.

Royal Purple 5W20 with a Mobile1 Filter in the ram, Pennzoil 0W40 Ultra Synthetc with a Mopar filter in the Demon and wifes Scat Pack, everytime.

You guys are funny, engines are designed to last over 200k these days, that's the standard and price of entry in this competitive market. If vehicles fail after 100k no one would by that brand, even if they didn't plan on keeping it that long. Engines and oil have gotten so good, its never the engine that is the nail in the coffin for the end of life of vehicle anymore. Typically its a transmission, or a head gasket coupled with rust, suspension, ripped interior and it needs brakes and a bunch of other maintenance that it becomes not worth it. Not the engine, and not related to changing the oil 3000 miles later than someone else.

I’m sorry bud, that is not what I’ve seen or the engineers, mechanics, service advisors have been saying for years. I’m only trying to help you and other members. I’ve been in this industry a long time and see all the behind the scenes and technical issues everyday. If you don’t want to take to heart my advice, doesn’t bother me lol I wish you well and your TRX worryfree success.

Cheers

Royal Purple 5W20 with a Mobile1 Filter in the ram, Pennzoil 0W40 Ultra Synthetc with a Mopar filter in the Demon and wifes Scat Pack, everytime.
Royal Purple is really good oil. I sell a lot of it actually. Best price is typically at walmart for the 5qt jug... I sell it for a little bit less than walmart. Right now there’s a $25 mail in rebate on it... might be able to get that from walmart too bro.

Also saying that manufacturers make their product to fail so you buy more is pretty crazy argument, its very rare that an original owner says, shoot, my engine just failed at 150k miles because I followed the manufacturers recommendations, guess I will go buy a brand new vehicle. Typically, the vehicle is on its 3rd owner at that point.

Also saying that manufacturers make their product to fail so you buy more is pretty crazy argument, its very rare that an original owner says, shoot, my engine just failed at 150k miles because I followed the manufacturers recommendations, guess I will go buy a brand new vehicle. Typically, the vehicle is on its 3rd owner at that point.
I can tell you the service and parts department make a dealership 10x more than sales. They design vehicles to fail bro... and I'm glad they do lol I make money off of that lol. There's a ton of documentaries about this. It's the light bulb theory. They're constantly adding inferior quality products to save cost and make more profit for the manufacturer. Don't believe me, ask any new Ford truck owner. The diesel trucks have a plastic oil pan with a plastic drain plug... until they were forced to do a recall on it.

You would be surprised. I totally agree with Batman here. Not saying there are not circumstances where I do agree with you but the are rare and I'm not trying to argue. You do you. I have been in the service industry almost 20 years. Raced for almost 10 years, built countless engines and many cars. I restore muscle cars now and come from the turbo world that demands more from oil but, what do I know. Ask anyone who would buy a used vehicle if they would want one over serviced or one that was only serviced about 10% above minimum requirements.

I can tell you the service and parts department make a dealership 10x more than sales. They design vehicles to fail bro... and I'm glad they do lol I make money off of that lol. There's a ton of documentaries about this. It's the light bulb theory. They're constantly adding inferior quality products to save cost and make more profit for the manufacturer. Don't believe me, ask any new Ford truck owner. The diesel trucks have a plastic oil pan with a plastic drain plug... until they were forced to do a recall on it.
Uh huh, the dealership makes money on service, not the manufacturer. So why again would the manufacturer want their product to fail!? Cmon man, I know your trying to sell oil but at least make sense!

To me if it's a car I know I'm not going to keep long, I don't care when I change the oil honestly.

A long term vehicle? I'll change it every 6 months, especially my motorcycles. I alternate between like 10 cars, so I don't put a lot of miles on any of them.

Oil usually go with Castrol Full Synthetic. Always wanted to try Royal Purple but I've never had a problem with Castrol in 10 years

Uh huh, the dealership makes money on service, not the manufacturer. So why again would the manufacturer want their product to fail!? Cmon man, I know your trying to sell oil but at least make sense!
They make a lot of money sourcing the parts that fail...some are very expensive and your only route is going thru them. They own the patents or make money off contracts with aftermarket companies to rent the patents and design... they want your vehicle to last just long enough for you to be okay with it, while putting some repairs here and there. They want you coming back in the 6-10 year range. It makes sense if you think about it.

They also need the dealership to survive...thats their avenue for them to sell new cars. They need to keep them successful because the average dealership makes very little on a new car sale... mainly its a lost leader to get the finance deal or service business. The manufacturers work with the dealers on this and they both win.

I'm not tryin sell oil to anyone here. I'm in several states away from most and I don't deal with the public at all... I'm strictly with wholesale, dealerships and national accounts or larger fleets. Lol for the record I wouldn't sell to anyone here because they don't have a shop or business lol...I would steer anyone here in the right direction on whats reputable and whats not. You really can't believe the marketing you see on TV, internet or radio anymore.

Last edited:

RAM-TRX Vendors

justboltons.com BwoodyPerformance.com Granger Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM OffRoadAlliance.com/ solisracinggroup.com Mark Dodge.com AirRyd.com Forced Induction Interchillers
Back