Oil not fully draining?

awls

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
Hey all, just did the first oil change on a 2022 TRX (at 1200 miles). I followed all instructions by the book (drain plug, filter, oil cooler). I filled with ~7.2 quarts and then drove about 20 miles and checked when it was cold again, and I got an oil level slightly HIGHER than the hash marks on the dipstick (I was expecting to need to add more since I didn't put in the full 7.5 at first). Has anyone run into issues getting all the old oil out?

I did make sure the truck was perfectly level, and let it drain with the oil cap removed. Drained from the plug for about 10 minutes until I was only getting droplets. I also did not pour any new oil into the filter before installing it.

I ended up pulling the plug and draining about 0.25 quarts out, and it's now reading exactly at the maximum oil level. I know this isn't a big issue but I'm curious if I should do anything differently on the next change.

OP
A

awls

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
Was the oil warm when you drained it?
Yup, ran the truck until the oil was around 200F, then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Maybe I needed to let it sit longer before draining for all the oil to settle?

Two

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
I don't remember how much oil I poured in after the two changes I've done. But I tend to let everything drip for a long time, on any vehicle. Go in and eat lunch, for example.

Either way, don't worry about it taking only seven quarts. That only makes the changes a bit easier. There were larger discrepancies in the early Challengers, and a new dip stick was released. For the same oil pan.
In that case the difference was a quart, as I recall.

OnTheReel

TRX Junkie
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 TRX
For whatever reason 7 quarts with cooler and filter has been the magic number for my truck, not 7.5. Both oil changes I’ve done, 7 quarts had it at the very top of the dipstick. Let the last one drain for over an hour while I did other stuff, no difference.

Maybe there’s a small amount that would get hung up in the cooler lines or something but doubt it amounts to a half quart. Seems just as likely that their direction is incorrect.

Two

TRX Addict
Reaction score
Current Ride
Too many to list
Yeah, 7.5 could be for a completely dry engine. Or it's simply an error in the manual.
They tend to cut and paste a lot in those, and with five different vehicles (probably using different oil pans) it wouldn't surprise me if it really should say seven quarts.

Either way, whether over or under by 0.25 quarts, the result must be infinitely better than a dealer oil change.

OP
A

awls

TRX Noob
Reaction score
Current Ride
2022 Ram TRX
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll try letting it drain more next time, but start with just 7 quarts when filling.

Reactions: Two

Shaneacr

TRX Fan
Reaction score
Current Ride
‘21 TRX
Generally on any vehicle I fill it up a 1/2 quart low then run it up to temp and check it. It's always worked for me.

Brudish

TRX Member
Reaction score
Current Ride
2021 Ram 1500 TRX
Military
Retired Army, Air Force
I drained from oil plug, filter and oil cooler for over an hour. Put 7 quarts in...was slightly above hash marked area on dipstick.

Reactions: Two