Oil Life == 52% - Change? Add? Normal?

Don’t think he was saying they don’t use assembly lube. Sure they use some kind of oil. But is it actually stout enough, in such a small amount, to make a meaningful contribution to the motor oil’s additive pack? To the point where the upsides of leaving it in place outweigh the negatives? Not convinced.

My opinions and educated assumptions only:

1) Mopar is not likely to use a super expensive assembly lube that’s chocked full of ZDDP or moly. It’s a modern, robot assembled engine with a roller cam and tight tolerances.

2) Even if they do use a magic lube, it is not typically best practice to leave that crap in there past 500 miles.

3) The EPA sucks. They have managed to simultaneously reduce the protection of motor oil while also bullying companies to extend the OCIs. This was a recipe for disaster from the start.

I agree the epa sucks… 6 ways to Sunday.

I was just watching a video of the Mexico plant that builds the engines. And the machine that inserts valve seats. It talks about specific lubricants but it cuts short of Internal assembly.
There was another video with a green lube drizzled over the rocker assembly but no idea what engine that was. Could have been any fca engine.

as to wether the amount is enough to warrant holding the oil over 1000 miles? I say no. I’ve said so since the beginning.
Is it enough to make a difference over an entire engine for that thousand miles?

absolutely. Break in lubricant (not oil)… is very thick as it is a high density zinc phosphorus and other non typical additives.
a break in oil is usually a 30w with a percentage of lubricant so if you were to dump over the rocker as in a normal oil fill the ratio “should” be about the same.

but I would be willing to bet that there is a good amount total. Way more than the percentage of additives in the shelf bought “high mileage” or “truck/suv tow” oils that have additives for “higher friction” (I’m trying to remember the advertising slogans they use)

all that is, is different friction and heat modifiers in the oil.

Go to 9 minutes in…. Only lube used during assembly is PUP 0w40. This is the reassembly of a demon motor but the same platform. He specifically states that FCA uses the engine oil at assembly not any specific assembly lube.

Its mind boggling that they dont use an assembly lube on the cam, mains, heads wrist pins. Regardless of the flat tappet vs roller...

Ive been to a lot of assembly plants (both for fun when I happen to be in an area that has one, or for work doing key area asset work, and then also when I was helping faster people race and got "pat on the back" tours). And motors like AMG, subaru, VW... GM of course.... ford... every single one had an assembly lube ... or pre run bearing lube... and one had a weird light pastel green gunk that just got poured over everything.

Im shocked that with barrel shaped crank surfaces, high likely of high ethonol gas and general idiots like Bambi driving... that FCA uses just standard synthetic with no extra friction and heat additives for assembly...

amazing... and Im going to resist every ounce of my being from pouring a bottle of lucas or amsoil zincy stuff in mine when I pick it up.

And Again, in case Im not clear. I stand corrected.

Yup no assembly lube… I didn’t believe it until I saw that video and another one from the hellcat forum of the motor being assembled that I still can’t find.

Yup no assembly lube… I didn’t believe it until I saw that video and another one from the hellcat forum of the motor being assembled that I still can’t find.
I hopped on YouTube this morning and a 2 hrs video of fca assembly plants was on the suggested list lol.
So I hit start while drinking my coffee.
A part got to the Mack engine assembly plant and they were putting pistons in a pentagram v6 ( the integrated exhaust manifold motor.)
Anyways, the motor was flipped over, and “dripping” out of the cylinder was a light green thick lube.
It’s weird, I wonder if the hellcat motors they just spend more time on the machining and use harder face parts?
I mean I hope so. 700+ hp is a lot of pressure.

so weird.

It’s weird, but oil analysis from early oil changes supports that they’re just using the factory fill for assembly. The internals of the hellcat are very robust parts. The motors are also ran on an engine dyno for a good amount of time at 5000 rpm.

I will be changing at 1000 miles

Then probably 28-36% mark or no more then 4000 miles. I have to see how it reacts to my driving on this vehicle

Past experience with my current SRT jeep I changed at 1000 miles when new. Then at the 28-36% mark and it was always 3500-4000 miles and the oil still was fairly clean. It also burns zero oil at 57k miles currently.

Sticking to what works for me in the past.

Back